It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 on HP laptop

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen
Its kinda puzzling to me, why anyone would use Win 10 on this site, well anywhere

What is puzzling to me is why people install programs without knowing what they do, just because someone on the Internet said it was good.

I prefer a list of things to do than getting a program that I don't know what will be doing.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Still need to disable that nasty Cortana.

If you know how to delete it wholesale, let me know. I've settled for opening Task Manager, right-clicking Cortana and opening the file location, then futzing with the file name in the folder -- usually just add .abc or .123 or something to the end. Then killing the program and forcing the dot-whatever to take. It's a timing game, but it can be done. Although in all honesty, t's just a stopgap til the next update resets it.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

How do you turn off Win 10 update?
Disable Trusted Installer and wuauserv???

Yes.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen

a reply to: seeker1963

Did you try this tip?

Also check this one out: Destroy Windows 10 Spyin

Its kinda puzzling to me, why anyone would use Win 10 on this site, well anywhere

Oh, and btw... should all fail...

What do you use? Win 7, Mac, Linux? I use Win 10 because all the new games will be designed around it. Besides, I like Win 10, it hasn't been bad for me at all.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I don't have Cortana, it doesn't work in European Portuguese yet.

Edited to add: try this.
edit on 22/4/2018 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

a reply to: ArMaP

Windows hasn't updated in the last few days....and we did check that, no failed windows updates.

No idea if an HP update failed today....cannot find that updates list.

Gosh , I love some of these replies
Cortana ? I am impressed with this. Where I do most of my searches. Gives me local results as well as online results.
Uses very little resources (no more than a web browser) so why delete it ?

Your best friend right now is Google - Fu as folks say
You need to learn all about the apps from HP and what they do
Most would be safe to uninstall .Some will not be as they would be what drives the touch screen or trackpoint/touchpad

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog
Trust me....that will happen first thing in the morning!!!!!!!! LOL

How do you turn off Win 10 update?
Disable Trusted Installer and wuauserv???

For now, suspending TiWorker seems to be fixing it....fingers crossed.

No , no , no....
Just go to Updates and Security in Window's 10 and pause/disable automatic updates
Unless you just want to go through the complicated geek way of disabling "stuff" where you can raise your pocket protector and shout "I have the poooooowwwwwweeeeerrrrr"

But you do need the Microsoft updates. You dont need the HP updates . You will have to Google how to turn that off as the process varies.

edit on 4/22/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
My final thoughts
Learn about MSCONFIG and the Startup portion of it
Google the names of the programs set to start at the Windows startup
Uncheck/disable the ones you feel you do not need
BE CAREFUL
Click apply and restart.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

The TrustedInstaller/Windows module installer (TiWorker.exe) excessive resource consumption is because the process compresses the files in the WinSxS folder after an update to save drive space.
Your system must have installed a service pack (new windows 10 release), which is pretty large at over +2GB.

Just leave the system running and in a few hours(or a day or so) the issue should be solved.
(There is no standard timeframe because it depends on the Tier of processor the computer has.)

Here is a link to a Microsoft tech forum dealing with the issue: social.technet.microsoft.com... ws-update?forum=w8itproperf

PS: Updates cannot be disabled on Windows 10.

edit on 4/22/2018 by efabian because: grammar

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

HP Pavilion 360 laptop here..
been forced to do this update since last night. it just finished some media video player 14.0 . I have 4 to go. The user agreement was longer than the installation. that question mark icon at the lower right with the exclamation in it won't go away till all these updates are done.
[ as i've told you before i stink on ice with CPU's]

glad you brought this up as I was worried that this was malware for the last 24 hrs. and still do....

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

If you want to remove the automatic HP updates just go to:
Windows Settings -> Apps -> and then locate and uninstall the HP update program from the list. (will not break anything on the PC).

Extra++: Uninstall the "HP Support Assistant" if you want to get rid of the blue exclamation icon on the bottom-right of the screen.

edit on 4/22/2018 by efabian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: efabian

Thank you,
looking into it shortly.

this is my first computer in 10 years. i've been using a tablet for some 10 years. then i dropped the tablet this morning. frustrating because this does't have auto correct and put capital letters when needed.

You can see that in the paragraph above.
edit on 22-4-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
a reply to: efabian

Thank you,
looking into it shortly.

this is my first computer in 10 years. i've been using a tablet for some 10 years. then i dropped the tablet this morning. frustrating because this does't have auto correct and put capital letters when needed.

You can see that in the paragraph above.

oddly enough I can flip the screen back on this and it becomes a really big tablet.😁

Woops double😆

edit on 22-4-2018 by Bigburgh because: I LOVE CHEESY TACOS😊

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Lol, the autocorrect should be working if you are using it like a tablet.

You'll get used to using a computer, eventually haha

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
What do you use? Win 7, Mac, Linux? I use Win 10 because all the new games will be designed around it. Besides, I like Win 10, it hasn't been bad for me at all.

Currently using windows 8.1. But i've set up multiboot system, so i can easily boot into linux. (latest linux mint)

I'm usually using linux when i need to run lengthy heavy cpu work, video compression etc.
Its faster in linux, since you don't need to have antivirus running, and the tons of surveillance crap they bundle it with.

I recently found my old laptop; 1.5ghz, 512 mb ram (thats ½ GB). I resurrected this old computer with Lubuntu. When the system is ready, is uses 80mb of ram! Installing a lightweight browser like Midori, and you can surf the webs, watching Youtube vids, spending about 300mb memory TOTAL.
This simple setup on windows, easily spends >2GB memory.

Furthermore you can have the entire OS on a single USB-dongle, boot up anywhere.

Not trying to turn this into a Windows vs Linux battle... but the advantages is obvious.

Windows is for gaming...

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I use this application to tame windows 10

www.oo-software.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Windows 10 is fine... you just need to turn off a plethora of invasive stuff before using it. But you need to be selective about it. For example... turn off your microphone? Ok.. that's great, except now Skype won't work if you use it. So you have to go into the mic settings and tell it what programs you do and do not want it to use. Windows 10 is a pretty solid OS though, if you don't mind the massive intrusion of privacy around it.

As far as HP goes, there is a BUNCH of bloatware you probably want to dump. When building images, I remove a lot of stuff from HP laptops (and mind you, all laptops have this bloatware in one way or another). This includes: HP velocity, touchpoint (i.e. spyware), um.. hell, it will be easier to tell you what to leave on there. I only leave the Windows 10 patch thing, keyboard or any hardware related software (wireless, keyboard etc.), and.. not much else really. If you plan to use the fingerprint scanner, you can leave their secure stuff. But ugh.. I remove almost everything HP. Also remove Intel Rapidstore (unless you have a raid array in your laptop). I think I remove around 9 or 10 HP programs when creating an image. And doing so noticeably speeds up the laptop.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join