It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 on HP laptop

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Model: 15-BS013DX

So, we have this new HP laptop. Today, HP put up a balloon for some updates for drivers and the BIOS.
We did them, no problem.

EXCEPT, now the TiWorker.exe is constantly running, taking up to 40% of CPU.
I mean, it's been hours now.

Found this link from Tom's Hardware
tunecomp.net...
Did all of them except 5, which seems to apply only to Win UPdates...and did not do 6. .....although definitely considering.
I mean, the computer is still under warranty LOL

Any ideas?
Any idea where to see the list of HP updates on this computer?

Thanks, guys!!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Did you run Windows system file checker for corrupted files, sfc /scannow?

Also, did you check Win Updates to see that they successfully installed? Sometimes they fail but you wouldn't know unless you checked the update history.

Start button, Settings, Updates and Security, View Installed Update History.
edit on 22-4-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

40% of CPU or Ram? Win10 is a resource hog! I have 16 gig of ram and I gotta tell ya Win10 has so much running in the background it suck up a lot of Ram.

Tom's is usually a great site to get info and correct things so not sure what to tell ya DTOM.

First thing I would do to be honest is take off ANY HP PROGRAM you have running in the background! HP is famous for running programs to monitor what you do.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yeah, good point. HP and the like always flood their PCs with bloated ware you'll never use. Start by uninstalling them all from the Control Panel. After that, go to Task Manager, Start Up, and uncheck all the programs you don't want/need running.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
IF its a new system thats been left to rot for a while then its going to take a good day or two to drag itself up, can just be a crappy version of some drivers etc but normally for new hardware I give it a day not only for thermal adjustment but also time for both sides to get to know each other.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Yeah, good point. HP and the like always flood their PCs with bloated ware you'll never use. Start by uninstalling them all from the Control Panel. After that, go to Task Manager, Start Up, and uncheck all the programs you don't want/need running.

Yea, it can take hours and it sucks, but that's what they do!

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have an HP Spectre laptop and last time Win 10 updated it corrupted the system so badly I had to reinstall Windows. I really like the laptop, but Win10 blows. i guess that doesn't help you but know you have company.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

That's why I build all my PC's and I'll never buy a laptop. I control what goes in, not you HP! NOT YOU!

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Ah, yes! sfc /scannow?
Forgot about that!

I'll try that later.....have to figure out how to get the command box on 10.....I am still a Win7 person.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I would disable updates. A lot of windows update is useless and a waste of space. I'm still using windows 8 automatic update off no problem. Even then, Microsoft does secret updates to screw up the computers when they are moving to a new windows platform, just what happened to windows XP. Windows 8.1 use a lot more space and cpu ran a lot higher, so I stuck with 8.

The only update you should ever do is Windows Defender. Set updates on manual or turn it completely off. Install updates manually, make sure you read what the update is for what program. Some updates is for Microsoft office, some is for defender, the rest are garbage. You can check your programs by opening the programs such as Windows defender and see if its outdated. Never leave Windows update on Auto. The less update the better because Microsoft updates a lot of junk you'll never use.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

When we got it the first two days, we went and disabled/removed a bunch of stuff.

But, good advice.

Still need to disable that nasty Cortana.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Just search for cmd from the lil circle next to your Start button, then Right Click > RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Check your Update history before you do anything.
edit on 22-4-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

When we got it the first two days, we went and disabled/removed a bunch of stuff.

But, good advice.

Still need to disable that nasty Cortana.

Good luck with that! I have tried everything to shut that prick down and nothing works. If you figure it out let me know!

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Yes, I did a manual check for updates.

Whatever the heck happened, it happened after the HP updates.....wish I could find where THAT update list is!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I am use an HP laptop and it is still working fine after 6 years. What I did was uninstall every HP programs. All HP files or programs that came with it will have compatibility issues after few updates as they usually abandon them. Unless you are using an HP printer for example, that can stay. The rest is garbage. Pre-made laptops comes with a lot of junk programs based on the companies brand such as dell or samsung which they will end support when newer laptops come out. Any programs you will not use uninstalled them right away. Save space and ram usage by a lot.
edit on 22-4-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Ohhhhh, HP updates? That I can’t help you out with. Disable/uninstall anything labeled HP.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

JUst to be safe, what exactly do I type in the command line?

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

This guy HP’s.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

That's it.....the updates don't show on the Windows update page....

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

For the search, cmd then right click and run as admin.

For Command prompt, sfc/scannow. You can copy/pasta it in.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join