It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robin Wright is Wrong! Iraq will not = Iran and here is why,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I am quite pleasantly surprised by this and feel that maybe there is some hope. I knew that Iraq stood the best chance for a democracy of any country of significance there. I hope that they succeed and the Sunni's has better get on board because if the Kurds and Shiites team up, the Sunnis are in big trouble. Remember Iraq was the most secular of the Middle East states.......

Robin Wright is Wrong

Yesterday, Washington Post senior foreign policy reporter Robin Wright’s analysis of the recent elections in Iraq (“Iraq Winners Allied with Iran Are the Opposite of U.S. Vision”) ran on the Post’s front page. As the title to the piece suggests, Wright’s claim is that Iraqis “went to the polls and elected a government with a strong religious base – and very close ties to the Islamic republic next door.” But about the only thing right in that sentence is that the Iraqis “went to the polls.”

First, the United Iraqi Alliance, the main Shiite coalition of parties, did well (48% of the vote and a small majority of seats within the new legislature), but not well enough to control formation of either the new government or the new constitution.

Second, because the Alliance did not win a decisive electoral victory, its constituent parties will have to form a coalition with either the Kurds and/or the Iraqi List, a party headed by current Prime Minister Iyad Allawi. Both groups are secularist and fully cognizant of the need to build a federal system which will protect civic and minority rights. And that Shiites, too, seem cognizant of this need. Indeed, the announcement of the election returns had barely been made before each of the parties began working the phones to sound out deals with their potential political partners.

link

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I agree. Not only do Iraqis tend to be more secular, Iraqis have strong nationalist tendencies, and absolutely don't want to be dominated by Iran. The Kurds and Sunnis certainly would be against it, but even the Iraqi Shias would be. And don't forget Iraq and Iran fought a war in the 80s.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It is political. Saddam was a secularist who was not liked by the Shiite majority. eg.. war against Iran, another Shiite state.

It sure looks like a new Iran in the making. All you need is another Shah to over throw. Allawi could fill the bill since he was another one of those CIA assets.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
im sure iraqis dont like being demeaned by others as if they cant run their country right or dont know what freedom is, heck babylon/mesopotamia/sumeria were all like a republic so im sure they know alot about freedom and tolerance.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
im sure iraqis dont like being demeaned by others as if they cant run their country right or dont know what freedom is, heck babylon/mesopotamia/sumeria were all like a republic so im sure they know alot about freedom and tolerance.

But yet they still have the best chance at making it work.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Where it gets confusing is when you take the fact that most of the Kurds are Sunni.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4Where it gets confusing is when you take the fact that most of the Kurds are Sunni.

Wow I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me, so all these years Sunni's hurt and killed Sunni's huh?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I have no doubt Iran will try to influence Iraqi politics. Iraq is a long way from being a stable demorcy there are two reasons for this.
1 The people dont understand what demorcy is this will change with time.
2 Bush and his cronies bungled post war Iraq and are using quick fixs which will make Iraqs sercuity problems worse in the long term.
The 2nd reason is the biggest problem either Bush and his cronies are extremely navie or they are idoits.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Well, it does not help when the terrorist ambushes newly trained men to form ranks in the military, kill high ranking police officers and ambush police stations, and etc. It will be interesting to see when they do take over to run the country, they would have a better chance to prevail due to other Iraqis who live here in the states when Saddam was still in power. They will help give hope to families to share what it was like here in the USA and to dream for a better future. I do notice that people are very negative to what we can do for others in need and what they can do for themselves. When Iraqi get their heading in the right direction, they will get there in time.

Golden Shellback

[edit on 20-2-2005 by Goldenshellback]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goldenshellback
I do notice that people are very negative to what we can do for others in need and what they can do for themselves.

And that is exactly what the Left feels and sadly wants........

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Goldenshellback I would to think that the sercuity situation in Iraq will improve however the reality of the situation is quite differnt. Unless the Iraqi sercuity forces are given proper training and not turned out for political reasons.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

Originally posted by Kriz_4Where it gets confusing is when you take the fact that most of the Kurds are Sunni.

Wow I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me, so all these years Sunni's hurt and killed Sunni's huh?

It appears that may be the case, weird huh. This is where the media needs to moe specific when grouping people in headlines and news stories. Although many Kurds voted, many Sunni's boycotted it, confusing to say the least. SO even though the Sunni minority were oppressed they did not want to vote. I think the siruation is likely more complicated than we will ever truley know.

On a positive note though, I do hope things settle down quickly. Iraq cant be a pleasent place to be at the moment for any group.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Goldenshellback I would to think that the sercuity situation in Iraq will improve however the reality of the situation is quite differnt. Unless the Iraqi sercuity forces are given proper training and not turned out for political reasons.

We have to stand with them to stay the course for the average people of this country. This was not a sweep and go mission of those of us who served. To do it right, do it right the first time and not have to go back again. They are given proper training, experience of young men lacks of combat. Give them time xpert11, we need to give them time. Like trying to reach people who were abused, give them positive reassurance and see what they can do for their future. Hope is always in the hearts of people on this world.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

We have to stand with them to stay the course for the average people of this country. This was not a sweep and go mission of those of us who served. To do it right, do it right the first time and not have to go back again. They are given proper training, experience of young men lacks of combat. Give them time xpert11, we need to give them time. Like trying to reach people who were abused, give them positive reassurance and see what they can do for their future. Hope is always in the hearts of people on this world.

I never said we should leave the Iraqi people to there fate. You cant deny that quality is more important then quanty otherwise you just provide more targets for the insurgencys. All the time in the world wont help unless the Iraqi sercuity forces have the capablitys to defeat the enemy.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Well it seems that some other countries including NATO ones are now willing to help train the Iraqi's , it will take time but I do feel the winds of change in the Middle East already, Egypt to allow actual presidential elections, Syria leaving Lebanon.........strange things are afoot in that part of the world indeed.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Well it seems that some other countries including NATO ones are now willing to help train the Iraqi's , it will take time but I do feel the winds of change in the Middle East already, Egypt to allow actual presidential elections, Syria leaving Lebanon.........strange things are afoot in that part of the world indeed.

NATO contribtion to training Iraqi sercuity forces is token but its better then nothing. edsinger will NATO increase the quality of Iraqi sercuity forces ?
I dont think so Iraqi sercuity forces need better trainng and better sercuity screening. Perhaps some special forces training in the outback is in order.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I believe Canada is sending some Trainers, as well as committing election officials during the next election. We offered the service last time, but it was a bit too late. Do not know how large the commitment is going to be though, and it better not affect our efforts in Afghanistan...

xpert11, or they could do some Sub-Arctic and Arctic training in Northern Canadian Territories. Now THOSE are harsh conditions

[edit on 5-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11NATO contribtion to training Iraqi sercuity forces is token but its better then nothing. edsinger will NATO increase the quality of Iraqi sercuity forces ?I dont think so Iraqi sercuity forces need better trainng and better sercuity screening. Perhaps some special forces training in the outback is in order.

Token yes, but a big political plus for them with the Iraqi's at least.

Yes the training needs to be intense as the enemy plays by different rules and needs a bit more 'harsh' response....

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Yes the training needs to be intense as the enemy plays by different rules and needs a bit more 'harsh' response....

Well said edsinger. If you look at the SAS, DELTA force e.t.c they all train under "harsh" conditions for long periods of time. The Iraqi sercuity forces will need to be a special forces unit rather then just numbers made up on paper.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
They need to be Professional......I think that sums it up..........

new topics

top topics

join