It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New bill would push VA to conduct more research into medical marijuana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Now here is some news that I would have figured 'hell would be frozen over' before a policy/bill like this would be enacted !

I have never been a user and know very little about the effects of cannabis other than some people I have known or what I have read... If the effects are beneficial for our vets and others then good ... Probably many things are better than big farma and their prescribed poisonous dope.

“While we know cannabis can have life-saving effects on veterans suffering from chronic pain or PTSD, there has been a severe lack of research studying the full effect of medicinal cannabis on these veterans,” said Rep. Tim Walz, D-Minn, the House committee’s ranking member.

“That is why I am so proud to introduce this legislation. Simply put, there is no department or organization better suited to conduct this critically important research than VA, and there will never be a better time to act.”

www.armytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
From a medical standpoint its really needed one way or the other but I doubt this will pass muster at the present time. The fact that the bill would even be proposed is progress in a way.......

Nice peer reviewed research is needed and trust me Big Pharma will be all over it once its approved on a federal level

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The problem is that as a Schedule I substance, marijuana research is highly restricted.

Now, if Schumer's bill turns into something there could be benefits for veterans as well as others.

edit on 4/21/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
From a medical standpoint its really needed one way or the other but I doubt this will pass muster at the present time. The fact that the bill would even be proposed is progress in a way.......

Nice peer reviewed research is needed and trust me Big Pharma will be all over it once its approved on a federal level

Ahhhh Great or feeble minds think alike.. Your thoughts are basically my thoughts. I really do, as you, believe this is progress in a way....unless they study and claim it is harmful and a gate way drug...?... seems we have heard that before story before !

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This plant has many benefits, it can do everything oil can do plus more, it can be used from making fuel, fabrics, and even medicine.
So this plant that can do so many things is being demonized by big pharma big oil and even big timber.
And on top of all that it is RENEWABLE!

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The problem is that as a Schedule I substance, marijuana research is highly restricted.

Now, if Schumer's bill turns into something there could be benefits for veterans as well as others.

Good point Phage... that needs to be changed

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I agree that there should be more research. But it's a bad idea to push it onto the VA to do it.

The VA has enough issues and plenty on it's plate that it still hasn't managed to do right.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
There is so much promise in Marijuana for medical research in uses and perhaps cures. I don't want to see everyone 4:20ing on every street corner... but we can follow history and see the devastation Opium has wrought over the centuries.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Tyey use the blanket statement of "of no medical use" for good reason. It forbids just about all research. It has been shown to help cancer and Multiple Sclerosis patients but even here in supposedly tolerant Nederland getting medi-weed, even though legally sanctioned is almost impossible. My ex-gf developed lung cancer and her Doctor refused her. She had to resort to the local coffeeshops which do not offer medical grade cannabis. She lasted less than a year after having chemo and radiotherapy.
I think "they" are afraid but once they open that door that the cat will be out of the bag so to speak. There's too much money to be made by keeping it illegal. I hope that changes soon.
My Dad had lung cancer too and on one of my visits to him in the UK I tried gently advising him that it could help with nausea and anxiety. Dad was the pre-recreational drug generation.

"Oh I don't want to start taking drugs now son..."

I smiled wryly, looked at the bottle of morphine (or some variation thereof) that was next to him on the table and looked back at him.

"Ah, but that's different. That's medicine son, from the Doctor." He's passed on now. They had medi-weed preparations at that time in the UK too. Sativex and Drobinal are two names I remember after researching it but he would have none of it. Dad lasted 2 years after treatment (again chemo and radio).

I think most or many of the compounds found in cannabis they don't even have names for, so little has it been analysed. A sad state of affairs. If they applied the same logic to opiates that would be banned too.

"People can get high, it's bad, no opiate medication! Now, have some carcinogenic I mean chemotherapy "drugs" and be happy!"
edit on 21/4/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I am like you OP...I have never used any illicit substances, however, I support the right of others to make their own choices. I would welcome real information without the big Government, big Pharma bias. Hopefully it is possible to still do scientific research without some sort of agenda bias corrupting the results.

Even if it isn't found to be beneficial to treat symptoms of certain medical conditions it is still necessary to quantify the negative effects for the recreational users. If nothing else the use of this plant needs to be decriminalized or regulated more like alcohol.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   
good for this, would be so beneficial for those in need. Also, the great thing is for those who benefit well from CBDs, for example, can use it without having the high.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
CBD is antagonistic, while THC binds to the endocannabinoid receptors in the EC system. So CBD inhibits the high from THC or any other "medication" that is administered which effects these areas.

The EC system runs through the entire central nervous system (brain, spine, fingers, toes, and 2nd brain (gut)) AND immune system. Incredible!

The antagonistic effect of CBD suppresses immunological and inflammatory signals. It regulates neurotransmitters better (and safer) than SSRI's and other (deadly) psychiatric medications.

Anandamide is the name of a cannabinoid discovered naturally occurring in the human body.

CBD is a miracle discovery of the 21st century, I am studying now. I think that it will replace much of what is in your medicine cabinet. Combined with intermittent fasting, devastating to illness and disease. Throw in some brazilian jiu-jitsu and maybe American can be great again.

Edit to Add: Relating to topic--

CBD is great for PTSD due to it's well studied impact on/as:

Neuroplasticity
Antipsychotic
Anxiolytic

Zero side effects, and a supremely high LD50 with incredibly low potential for abuse.

11B1P, Retired for Combat Injuries
Mathematical Biology Major, Psychology Minor
"Just a dumb grunt who learned to add and tie a belt"
edit on 21-4-2018 by wakeupstupid because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The government having a list of substances that the public is not allowed to study is it self proof of the corruption that we allow to exist.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

If you have ever been really drunk or even addicted to alcohol then you have the basic idea of what doing other drugs is like.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Now here is some news that I would have figured 'hell would be frozen over' before a policy/bill like this would be enacted !

I have never been a user and know very little about the effects of cannabis other than some people I have known or what I have read... If the effects are beneficial for our vets and others then good ... Probably many things are better than big farma and their prescribed poisonous dope.

“While we know cannabis can have life-saving effects on veterans suffering from chronic pain or PTSD, there has been a severe lack of research studying the full effect of medicinal cannabis on these veterans,” said Rep. Tim Walz, D-Minn, the House committee’s ranking member.

“That is why I am so proud to introduce this legislation. Simply put, there is no department or organization better suited to conduct this critically important research than VA, and there will never be a better time to act.”

www.armytimes.com...

There is a problem with this bill. It would be rightfully screwing my bosses lol. Pharmaceutical distributor and makers would suffer a lot. People are not as easily controlled by cannabis then by uppers or downers. Remember “pot” is a easy thing to kick where as pharmaceutical is not as easy. Pharmaceutical company’s make bank off of this exact thing. And they fund many rehab clinics around the country. Big Pharma will not stand by for such a bill. And the best argument they can make is that a stamp is available for every state hence the stamp act. And also all pharmacies distribute “weed pills” that for the most part are not covered by insurance. Trust me this will not pass any time soon buddy

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

Tyey use the blanket statement of "of no medical use" for good reason. It forbids just about all research. It has been shown to help cancer and Multiple Sclerosis patients but even here in supposedly tolerant Nederland getting medi-weed, even though legally sanctioned is almost impossible. My ex-gf developed lung cancer and her Doctor refused her. She had to resort to the local coffeeshops which do not offer medical grade cannabis. She lasted less than a year after having chemo and radiotherapy.
I think "they" are afraid but once they open that door that the cat will be out of the bag so to speak. There's too much money to be made by keeping it illegal. I hope that changes soon.
My Dad had lung cancer too and on one of my visits to him in the UK I tried gently advising him that it could help with nausea and anxiety. Dad was the pre-recreational drug generation.

I smiled wryly, looked at the bottle of morphine (or some variation thereof) that was next to him on the table and looked back at him.

"Ah, but that's different. That's medicine son, from the Doctor." He's passed on now. They had medi-weed preparations at that time in the UK too. Sativex and Drobinal are two names I remember after researching it but he would have none of it. Dad lasted 2 years after treatment (again chemo and radio).

I think most or many of the compounds found in cannabis they don't even have names for, so little has it been analysed. A sad state of affairs. If they applied the same logic to opiates that would be banned too.

"People can get high, it's bad, no opiate medication! Now, have some carcinogenic I mean chemotherapy "drugs" and be happy!"

It is the anti-parasitic impacts of MJ when taken internally that stop cancer and diseases....it is not as complicated as many wish us to believe....it is SIMPLE AND BASIC and NOT COMPLICATED.....parasites live in all creatures on Earth including us...parasites carry bacteria which in turn carry viruses and SOME bacteria are pleomorphic and can turn themselves into viral sizes......if you have an acidic internal state and you have unpoliced parasites inside of you and they are carrying volumes of bacteria/viruses and you are exposed to external specific chemical infusions like we all are then you will have the combonation of environment and chemicals inside of you that cancer needs to become activated....researchers have identified the parasites which carry the bacteria that is pleomorphic and causes our cancers....researchers have identified that ALL diseases are in some way shape or form connected to parasitic infections .Parasites are very easy to kill and police... the body is very easy to fortify by turning it alkaline....the external chemicals are nearly impossible to avoid....sooooo.....focus on eating anti-parasitic foods focus on building an alkaline interior via proper diet....focus on fortifying the blood with Vitamin C in a highly bioavailable form to oxygenise the blood and evict viruses living there..and always keep yourself under a Dr.s care when you are sick.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I don't think the VA is set up to do research or clinical trials, they would have to hire new staff and train them. I seem to recall the VA has had a lot of problems keeping up with they workload they have now...

It would make more sense to open the drug to research by people who actually are familiar with doing clinical trials.

EDIT: If they are just collecting information, however... They should be able to handle that.
edit on 22-4-2018 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

It is the anti-parasitic impacts of MJ when taken internally that stop cancer and diseases....it is not as complicated as many wish us to believe....it is SIMPLE AND BASIC and NOT COMPLICATED.....parasites live in all creatures on Earth including us...parasites carry bacteria which in turn carry viruses and SOME bacteria are pleomorphic and can turn themselves into viral sizes......if you have an acidic internal state and you have unpoliced parasites inside of you and they are carrying volumes of bacteria/viruses and you are exposed to external specific chemical infusions like we all are then you will have the combonation of environment and chemicals inside of you that cancer needs to become activated....researchers have identified the parasites which carry the bacteria that is pleomorphic and causes our cancers....researchers have identified that ALL diseases are in some way shape or form connected to parasitic infections .Parasites are very easy to kill and police... the body is very easy to fortify by turning it alkaline....the external chemicals are nearly impossible to avoid....sooooo.....focus on eating anti-parasitic foods focus on building an alkaline interior via proper diet....focus on fortifying the blood with Vitamin C in a highly bioavailable form to oxygenise the blood and evict viruses living there..and always keep yourself under a Dr.s care when you are sick.

Interesting, or cancer is caused when cells go into an ancient "anaerobic" state due to oxygen deprivation caused by lactic acidosis. This state causes them to divide uncontrollably, and the body can not reach them to perform apoptosis. Lactic acidosis is caused by the breakdown of sugars, carbs and proteins in order to harvest pyruvate for energy. The side effects cause lactic acid buildup in the body, which stragles cells, and they enter a cancerous state to survive.

Intermittent fasting and CBD are a miracle 1-2 combo to this. Intermittent fasting triggers cellular apoptosis, eliminating the problem before it begins. CBD, derived from marijuana, helps this and almost every other disease as well as it acts on the immune and nervous system.

top topics

join