It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fallen Vietnam pilots, crew members honored with monument at Arlington National Cemetery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
For those of you who had loved ones or family members killed in Vietnam while flying helicopters there will finally be a monument to those helicopter pilots and crew members....The monument was erected at Arlington cemetery..

5000 died by official counting but I assure you many many more survived who were seriously injured and have spent their lives without important pieces of their bodies...... or looking into a mirror at a face whose features have been altered by fire. Monuments will never replace the lives of those lost or changed but for some the recognition means something...

“This [monument] is something we’ve been waiting for a long, long time,” said Michael Mikulan, who flew helicopters in Vietnam in 1969. “For many of us here who are 70 and above, this is it. We couldn’t ask for anything more.”

www.armytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Very nice.

It's not really possible to honor these guys enough. Warriors and gentlemen all...

If any of you are out there, not only Vietnam chopper pilots, but ANY combat veterans, all I can do is express my sincere heartfelt thanks to ALL of you.

We SEE you. Don't ever doubt it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Can anyone explain to me why a specific monument to helicopter pilots? Are there other specific monuments?

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp

If any of you are out there, not only Vietnam chopper pilots, but ANY combat veterans, all I can do is express my sincere heartfelt thanks to ALL of you.

We SEE you. Don't ever doubt it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thanks. Not Vietnam but still still a Veteran.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
Can anyone explain to me why a specific monument to helicopter pilots? Are there other specific monuments?

Not just the pilots but the crew chiefs and door gunners too...... there is the Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall (with the dates and names of the fallen) and the statue of the 3 soldiers for the 58,220 who were killed.

With all the soldiers the Vietnam helicopter pilots and crew members saved the new monument is a very small token of appreciation,,,, and over due IMO..

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Thanks for the explanation, but I still find it strange to have a monument for specific people. Is there a monument to all those that fought in the Vietnam war? If there is why make specific monuments for each "category"? If there isn't, why not make one dedicated to all?

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

A grand gesture.

Arlington cemetery was always the resting place of the brave and the bold, so it's a fitting place to erect a monument.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

Thanks for the explanation, but I still find it strange to have a monument for specific people. Is there a monument to all those that fought in the Vietnam war? If there is why make specific monuments for each "category"? If there isn't, why not make one dedicated to all?

We don't need a single monument dedicated to all. There are 400,000 monuments there. They are called headstones.
Does having one dedicated to rotary wing crews somehow diminish you?

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy
Does having one dedicated to rotary wing crews somehow diminish you?

Having it or not doesn't really matter to me, as I don't have any relation to the US, I'm just curious about the reasons for a monument dedicated to such a specific part of all the people that served during that war being news, that's all.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Sad thinking of people I went to school with,some didn't return,many came back only to commit suicide after,or lose their minds,come back drug addicted from drugs given to them from the armed forces,normal people turned into zombies

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

Diminish? I don't think so..

They saved allot of lives with medivac and in attack roles and allot of them had a door Gunner and that was it.

Brave men

new topics

join