It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: French unborn death "not a crime"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
A appeals court in France has ruled that a man cannot be tried for a double murder when he killed a pregnant woman in a car accident. Kevin Germon's van collided with and killed instantly the pregnant Florinda Braganca. Germon was charged with manslaughter in both her death and that of her unborn child. Post accident test showed cannabis in his blood

news.bbc.co.uk
French appeals court has ruled that a man responsible for the death of a pregnant woman in a car accident was not guilty of a double crime.
Florinda Braganca was killed instantly when the car she was driving was struck by 30-year-old Kevin Germon's van on a motorway in October 2003.

Her husband said Germon should be sentenced for double manslaughter.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In the U.S. there is the The Unborn Victims of Violence Act a.k.a Laci and Conner's Law, which allows an attack on a pregnant woman to be charged with two crimes. However, the intent of that law was for murder not necessarily an accidental death. But you also have to factor in the drug use as well in this case.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It would be best to remember though that habitual cannabis users can test posotive for marijuana after as many as 12 weeks. So just because he tersted posotive for it dosen't mean he was high at the time of the accident.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
So if I was intoxicated and crashed a vehicle into a car killing a pregnant woman I would be charged for 2 murders? What if she was on the way to an abortion clinic?
Sounds like an episode of law & order to me.

new topics

join