It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big lay offs in spite of Tax Bill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Wow, not only were the tax cuts unfair and completely unecessary, but they actually aren't even doing the one thing they were supposed to do above all else, which is to keep jobs in America. GM is laying off workers and Qualcomm and Mylan, and these are big layoffs not just a few people. ONe article says 12 companies have layed off US workers in 2018. Why the hell did we pass this stupid tax cut? The answer is that is really had nothing to do with jobs in the first place.

www.marketwatch.com...

money.cnn.com...

www.wpxi.com...

www.fool.com...

Qualcomm is layoff people in order to keep their shareholders happy because they refused to be bought out. Shareholders (ie. Wall Street) therefore want to make their dividends some other way.
So a Mayan style blood sacrifice is in order in order to create more profits. Qualcomm was facing declining sales.

"Qualcomm made the promise as part of its effort to rebuff a $117 billion hostile takeover by Broadcom, its Singapore-based competitor."
www.businessinsider.sg...

That in turn is due to legal disputes with Apple over patents and an anti-trust lawsuit in China:
marketrealist.com...

GM is making layoffs because there is less demand for smaller cars as the economy booms:

"The problem is lack of demand for the Chevrolet Cruze, the small car that GM builds at the plant. Sales of the Cruze slid more than 30% between 2014 and 2017, as the market shifted strongly away from small cars to SUVs. Cruze sales have plunged another 26% in the first three months of this year. "
money.cnn.com...

Mylan is laying off their middle management. I can see a pattern there, and it isn't products or manufacturing:

"Many are from the departments of accounting, HR, corporate security, customer relations, and customer complaints, a source said Friday."
wvmetronews.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: dragonridr
I'm a democrat well at least I have been my whole life let me give you some advice. Attacking tax cuts isn't a winning position for you or the Democratic party. When my accountant did my taxes he filled me in about next year saying instead of owning 1200.00 I should get money back. Now call me greedy but I'd much rather have the government owe me money then the other way around.

The government owing you money doesn't mean you have more money in your pocket. It means you're giving them more throughout the year, so you get a refund on tax day. It means you paid all of your taxes and then some. With your deductions being properly set up you will have this happen at any tax rate, if you choose.

You seem to be under the impression when you pay taxes that wasn't your money. When you pay taxes You are giving your money to the government for the privilege of living in said country. There are countries ran without taxes period.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

12 whole companies in the first Quarter of 2018? What a disaster.Impeach Him!

Look how long recoverys last on average, then look jow long this recent recovery has lasted.

We could be talking about a Infrastructure Bill, but instead the two side fiddled instead.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: toysforadults

totally illogical

what kind of people want higher taxes?

you Dem's have truly lost your minds!!! begging for higher taxes and bigger government where is your head at

Well, I'd like to see better teachers in the schools because the current crop we have seems badly trained in many cases.

But teacher salaries are government salaries. In order to give them a raise, we have to raise taxes.

And potholes. Our local roads and bridges are not in good shape. Mr. Trump doesn't seem moved to pay for paving them (and I don't see you rushing out here with your bucket of tar) and that means tax money to buy supplies and pay for contractors to repair and maintain the roads.

Oh... and fire departments and a lot of other things. Like air traffic controllers. I'd dearly love for the planes I ride in to land safely at a well-maintained airport.

So yes, raise the taxes. And yes, let's have health care for the elderly and the poor and kids, too.

Sounds like you have an issue with the local/state government? Many of the things you complained about and accused Trump of don't have jack squat to do with the FedG!

Plus did the Roads fall apart in one year, did Trump cut teachers salaries? Heathcare, at least the Marketplace, was designed to explode after Obama, it was setup that way.

All great goals, but to solve them you need both sides working together to get them done. Join your local school board or run for road commissioner. Or ask your Congress person what they have done to get an infrastructure Bill funded and passed?

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
You seem to be under the impression when you pay taxes that wasn't your money. When you pay taxes You are giving your money to the government for the privilege of living in said country. There are countries ran without taxes period.

The amount you owe or get back has nothing to do with the amount of taxes you're paying though, it only has to do with the amount you're having withheld.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: Phage

We as a country just need to create an economic system where the massive wealth of this country is distributed more evenly amongst the population so EVERYBODY can be prosperous.

Right now this is a system of the wealthy being greedy and abusing their advantages and the politicians being bribed to give them everything they want and more

There is a System such as that , it's Called Communism , and the American People ain't Buyin' that Crap Comrade..........

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I make a shade over 150k a year after the raise, and in a city where the cost of living is quite modest. As for what I do, I'm an information security consultant. We're constantly looking to hire people as well, since the skill-set is in short supply we always need people. I'm not even particularly high up in my company, and that raise was a retention raise, not my annual raise and bonus. Based on conversations with my boss and people who make those types of decisions, I'm on track to make manager this year, which would bump me another 15%. This doesn't account for the bonus you receive making the step up, or a bonus I get for obtaining additional credentials in the form of certification.

As for the tax cuts, they're helping me, they're certainly helping the company I work for. They're also helping our clients plan larger budgets for more projects that will help to protect their data and infrastructure. All of these things are wins from where I'm sitting.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Just looked world wide we have 833 openings in the US we have nearly 450. Life is good.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

We as a country just need to create an economic system where the massive wealth of this country is distributed more evenly amongst the population so EVERYBODY can be prosperous.

Right now this is a system of the wealthy being greedy and abusing their advantages and the politicians being bribed to give them everything they want and more

There is a System such as that , it's Called Communism , and the American People ain't Buyin' that Crap Comrade..........

A very unintelligent statement you wrote.

Sharing wealth has nothing to do with communism

When people get wealthy in this country they often resort to using their wealth to maintain their power and advantages which leads to unequal opportunities.

The average citizen doesn’t have influences like the wealthy

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Sounds like what I call "game reset syndrome" People start the game after its been going for a while and they want everyone reset back to level 1 because it is so unfair...lol

Well life isn't a game my friend

Subsistence living is never good, even if you take all the money from the rich and level it out in a short period of time many will be back in a real sucky life with no sustainment except for government subsistence. The problem is humans by nature will elect that crappy life when it is money for nothing, so lets create that entitlement society... YES!

edit on 22-4-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

" Sharing wealth has nothing to do with communism "

It has Everything to do with it .

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
But then there is Honeywell that just raised its outlook for 2018 because it beat its expectations after raising its dividends. There are always some companies that are laying off and others that are doing great.

The real question is why do you focus on the ones doing poorly and blame the tax cut? Can you demonstrate an actual link between the tax cut and the performance of these companies in terms of cause and effect?

I think we know the answer.

Honeywells 'financial' position has nothing whatsoever to do with layoffs. Hence your response to the OP is a Red Herring.

In fact heavy layoffs tend to inflate a company's financial position.

There is also the consideration that Honeywell most of Honeywell's production is in other countries.

Honeywell has a global workforce of approximately 130,000, of whom approximately 58,000 are employed in the United States.[6]

above from Wikipedia

On local layoffs in November 2017:

A plant’s decision to idle is causing a ripple effect in a local community. The Honeywell plant in Metropolis, Illinois, announced plans Monday to reduce its workforce by 170 full-time positions and 105 contract workers.

Business owners in the area are concerned. They say they know from previous times, the decision will hurt their sales. They say a number of workers at the Honeywell plant travel to work from out of town, and some of them make stops on their way there.

www.wpsdlocal6.com...

You cannot refute a claim about 'job growth' with anything other then data and sources about 'job growth'.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Byrd

I work in construction and it's booming if you live in the right city otherwise residential is dead as a doornail.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   

It’s definitely a great thing that people have 200 to 300 hundred more bucks a year to spend but that’s a drop in the bucket.

The economy is fueled by demand and demand depends on wages to a great degree and the wages have been stagnant for decades.

But the wages of the rich have soared high like never before.

And it will be less next year, and even less in following years.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Sounds like you have an issue with the local/state government? Many of the things you complained about and accused Trump of don't have jack squat to do with the FedG!

Actually, Federal grants are used for roadwork and infrastructure., Same with the other things I mentioned.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Lay offs are from corporations that didn't pay taxes they had their buddys in office,now it's time for them to pay fair share,no mystery here,Democrats take bribes,then make excuses for the bad outcome

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
There is nothing that can fix the economy and jobs from any party whatsoever......It is so far in debt and out of control now

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Wow, not only were the tax cuts unfair and completely unecessary, but they actually aren't even doing the one thing they were supposed to do above all else, which is to keep jobs in America. GM is laying off workers and Qualcomm and Mylan, and these are big layoffs not just a few people. ONe article says 12 companies have layed off US workers in 2018. Why the hell did we pass this stupid tax cut? The answer is that is really had nothing to do with jobs in the first place.

www.marketwatch.com...

money.cnn.com...

www.wpxi.com...

www.fool.com...

thehill.com...
good news!

14 states hit record-low unemployment

that is awesome!

Fourteen states have set new records for low unemployment rates in the last year, nearly a decade after the recession put millions of Americans out of work. The states hitting new unemployment lows run the ideological gamut, from conservative Texas to liberal California, suggesting a recovery stronger than any particular political persuasion. In March, eight states saw new record lows, including Hawaii (2.1 percent), Idaho (2.9 percent), Kentucky (4 percent ), Maine (2.7 percent), Mississippi (4.5 percent), Oregon (4.1 percent) and Wisconsin (2.9 percent).

14 states!

California also set a new record last month. The Golden State’s unemployment rate stands at 4.1 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). That’s the lowest rate recorded since BLS began keeping track of state-level unemployment figures in 1976, and it’s a third of the 12.3 percent unemployment rate California notched at the height of the recession in December 2010.

Such a tight job market means businesses are competing for workers, rather than workers competing for scarce jobs. That has some economists combing through data in search of evidence of rising wages, which have been largely stagnant since the recession. Wages have risen only slowly in recent months. The average hourly earnings of nonfarm employees stood at $26.82 in March, up from $26.11 at the same time last year.

this appears to be really good economic news for the entire country!

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
this appears to be really good economic news for the entire country!

The US has been at effectively full employment for a couple years now.

It's one of the reasons why tax cuts were a bad idea, now when a recession inevitably comes, we cannot lower taxes to try and increase employment. When you're at full employment and facing the prospects of an economy that's growing too fast, increasing taxes is a good move. We did the opposite of that.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The tax cut was never about jobs. It's sole purpose was to transfer yet more wealth from the (lower) middle class to the upper class. It's just that simple. The middle class was thrown a bone, the upper class filet mignon. But the real kicker is the $1.8 trillion deficit the tax cuts will create. Guess who will foot that bill?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join