It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big lay offs in spite of Tax Bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: CB328

totally illogical

what kind of people want higher taxes?

you Dem's have truly lost your minds!!! begging for higher taxes and bigger government where is your head at

Well, I'd like to see better teachers in the schools because the current crop we have seems badly trained in many cases.

But teacher salaries are government salaries. In order to give them a raise, we have to raise taxes.

And potholes. Our local roads and bridges are not in good shape. Mr. Trump doesn't seem moved to pay for paving them (and I don't see you rushing out here with your bucket of tar) and that means tax money to buy supplies and pay for contractors to repair and maintain the roads.

Oh... and fire departments and a lot of other things. Like air traffic controllers. I'd dearly love for the planes I ride in to land safely at a well-maintained airport.

So yes, raise the taxes. And yes, let's have health care for the elderly and the poor and kids, too.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

totally illogical

what kind of people want higher taxes?

you Dem's have truly lost your minds!!! begging for higher taxes and bigger government where is your head at

Well, I'd like to see better teachers in the schools because the current crop we have seems badly trained in many cases.

But teacher salaries are government salaries. In order to give them a raise, we have to raise taxes.

And potholes. Our local roads and bridges are not in good shape. Mr. Trump doesn't seem moved to pay for paving them (and I don't see you rushing out here with your bucket of tar) and that means tax money to buy supplies and pay for contractors to repair and maintain the roads.

Oh... and fire departments and a lot of other things. Like air traffic controllers. I'd dearly love for the planes I ride in to land safely at a well-maintained airport.

So yes, raise the taxes. And yes, let's have health care for the elderly and the poor and kids, too.

Sounds like you have an issue with the local/state government? Many of the things you complained about and accused Trump of don't have jack squat to do with the FedG!

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Maybe where you Live the Effects haven't been felt yet , but here in New Jersey the Economy is doing Great . Guess it's a Matter of Demographics and Consumer Confidence .

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Sure, now that Christie is gone and they have a democratic governor who wants to raise taxes on the rich and who won’t close down the beach for himself

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Really started kicking in here around 2014-2015.

But the point of the OP is that, in spite of the tax cut, there are some major layoffs going on.
edit on 4/21/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It’s definitely a great thing that people have 200 to 300 hundred more bucks a year to spend but that’s a drop in the bucket.

The economy is fueled by demand and demand depends on wages to a great degree and the wages have been stagnant for decades.

But the wages of the rich have soared high like never before.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

Hell lets make it 80% that will fix everything...lol It seems a lot of what you want is a state level thing...hmmm

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

But the point of the OP is that, in spite of the tax cut, there are some major layoffs going on.

Is the Tax cut end all fix all? No, it was a reset that was well needed. BTW my company is doubling in side this year go figure. A lot of industry layoffs have more to do with changes in technology.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

It’s definitely a great thing that people have 200 to 300 hundred more bucks a year to spend but that’s a drop in the bucket.
I'm taking home about $1,600 more actually, which is nice. But I'm not at all sure what my tax liability is going to be. I need to do some number crunching soon to see if I need to increase my withholding exemptions.

But I wasn't happy about the budget deficit before and I'm less happy about it now (because it's getting bigger). So, as far as I'm concerned, the feds could keep that wonderful "middle class tax cut."

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

We as a country just need to create an economic system where the massive wealth of this country is distributed more evenly amongst the population so EVERYBODY can be prosperous.

Right now this is a system of the wealthy being greedy and abusing their advantages and the politicians being bribed to give them everything they want and more

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

We as a country just need to create an economic system where the massive wealth of this country is distributed more evenly amongst the population so EVERYBODY can be prosperous.

I don't agree with that, actually.

But I do think that, as one of the wealthiest countries on the planet, we should be able to provide all of our residents with some pretty basic stuff. I don't think that massive tax cuts for the wealthiest of us will do much to achieve that.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

First one is easy... have you SEEN the Chevy Cruze?

Second one, Qualcomm, got their dic* slammed in their own door.

Third one, Mylan... ripped off the Government and just got hit with a $465 MILLION dollar settlement for cheating you and I the tax payers...

Fourth one... you sure most not have read through it. Retail and Telecom, mostly... and manufacturing directly impacted by large demographic shifts.

DID YOU READ ANY OF THESE STORIES BEFORE POSTING?

Not to pigeon hole you... but it appears like you don't usually pay any attention at all to money and markets.

Oh, and FWIW... The "Tax Cuts" RAISED the top earner tax rate from 35% to 37%... in other words, Trump RAISED taxes on the highest earners.

The whole story behind the Democrats "Giving rich people tax breaks" ruse, is based on the lowering of the corporate income tax rate. The U.S. had the highest tax rate on earth, save, one other nation, and that largely motivated corporations to move their companies out of the U.S.

It's unfortunate that people think politicians are telling them the truth about monetary policy and economics. Whether Dem or Rep, they are usually just blowing smoke up our a**es.

This Trump tax cut, overwhelmingly helps the larger part of Americans. The exception being the coasts, which, ironically, are largely Blue states now. It's not political. It would seem only in Blue States will people tolerate poorly run city, county and state governments, that deal with every problem by raising taxes... rather than managing policy so average folks can afford to live somewhere that isn't having gunfights every night.

$2500 studio apartments? Those coastal folks are outta their minds.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
In fairness to the topic... when the economy heats up, inflation tends to rise... and yes... it is going up.

Part of the economic reality is certainly taxes and monetary policy... but the tax issue should really be thought of much more simply.

Deficits DO matter... and we have a massive spending issue, and the Trump policies spike spending... which WILL hurt us, ultimately.

I think there is a bigger part of this, that folks can't see, and may never see. Trump may be being a bit idealistic about what he wants to accomplish with his "Drain the Swamp" credo. That tagline is an over simplification of the problem.

Yes... the professional political class are a bunch of narcissistic greedy losers that mostly don't give a rats behind about Americans... but it's WORSE than that. They have been overseeing the total looting of the nation.

21 TRILLION dollars has gone missing from government allocations in the last 20 years. Who is behind that?

To oversimplify... Democrats and Republicans, from the professional political class, that's who.

Where's our money? That's what we should REALLY be asking!

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dasman888

The "Tax Cuts" RAISED the top earner tax rate from 35% to 37%... in other words, Trump RAISED taxes on the highest earners.

Tell me, what happened to the AMT? What happened to "pass through" income from S-corps and such like? Are those top earners going to end up paying more in taxes? Is Trump? Then where are they going to get the money to raise wages?

Trump may be being a bit idealistic
Or, a lot ignorant.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
And the off-shoring to the under developed countries continues..
Nothing new under the sun.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Having a good corporate outlook and maintaining or expanding jobs are not the same thing. Companies can and do often times obtain a more positive future outlook by laying off employees.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
I'm a democrat well at least I have been my whole life let me give you some advice. Attacking tax cuts isn't a winning position for you or the Democratic party. When my accountant did my taxes he filled me in about next year saying instead of owning 1200.00 I should get money back. Now call me greedy but I'd much rather have the government owe me money then the other way around.

The government owing you money doesn't mean you have more money in your pocket. It means you're giving them more throughout the year, so you get a refund on tax day. It means you paid all of your taxes and then some. With your deductions being properly set up you will have this happen at any tax rate, if you choose.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   

a reply to: Byrd

I work in construction and it's booming if you live in the right city otherwise residential is dead as a doornail.

I've been looking around lately. No plans to switch from my current job, but if something reasonable comes up I would jump ship. I've been looking around, and there are a lot of companies hiring for what I do right now. How sane those companies hiring practices are, I don't know... but the jobs do seem to be out there.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Speak for yourself, I'm taking home an extra $800 a month, and this was before the 18k wage increase I picked starting on April 1st. I am loving the hell out of these tax cuts, they're allowing me not only to save additional money for retirement but also allowing me to spend a little bit more on things that keep the economy going.

$800 a month? How much do you make? What do you do for a living?

I make 100k a year, tax cuts were good for $20 per week.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

neither of them are my political agenda.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join