It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big lay offs in spite of Tax Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wow, not only were the tax cuts unfair and completely unecessary, but they actually aren't even doing the one thing they were supposed to do above all else, which is to keep jobs in America. GM is laying off workers and Qualcomm and Mylan, and these are big layoffs not just a few people. ONe article says 12 companies have layed off US workers in 2018. Why the hell did we pass this stupid tax cut? The answer is that is really had nothing to do with jobs in the first place.

www.marketwatch.com...

money.cnn.com...

www.wpxi.com...

www.fool.com...

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Wow, not only were the tax cuts unfair and completely unecessary, . . . .

I hope like hell that this becomes the democrat party platform message.

Keep saying it.

Please!

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
But then there is Honeywell that just raised its outlook for 2018 because it beat its expectations after raising its dividends. There are always some companies that are laying off and others that are doing great.

The real question is why do you focus on the ones doing poorly and blame the tax cut? Can you demonstrate an actual link between the tax cut and the performance of these companies in terms of cause and effect?

I think we know the answer.

(post by 1337Kph removed for political trolling and baiting)
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Wow, not only were the tax cuts unfair and completely unecessary, but they actually aren't even doing the one thing they were supposed to do above all else, which is to keep jobs in America. GM is laying off workers and Qualcomm and Mylan, and these are big layoffs not just a few people. ONe article says 12 companies have layed off US workers in 2018. Why the hell did we pass this stupid tax cut? The answer is that is really had nothing to do with jobs in the first place.

www.marketwatch.com...

money.cnn.com...

www.wpxi.com...

www.fool.com...

I am not sure if Fool is a real site or not, but I notice that neither MarketWatch, CNN Money nor WPXI mentions the tax cuts in their stories about the layoffs.

This is something only you attach to them. Why is that?

edit on 21-4-2018 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1337Kph
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Whats retarded is the way the tax structure benefits the wealthy and corporations while leaving the middle class is SOL.
And the coming inflationary spiral upwards will eat up what little tax cut you enjoy.
Ready for $5 gas again?

btw...this economic trainwreak will affect the right as well as the left.

www.investopedia.com...

www.businessinsider.com...

Layoffs....

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 21-4-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

MAGA?

edit on 21-4-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Apr 21 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

why do you focus on the ones doing poorly and blame the tax cut?

Because the tax cut was sold, and is still being sold, on the premise that it will keep companies in America, create jobs and help workers, when in reality the reason for them it to make wealthy and powerful people more wealthy and more powerful.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
first off hear is the real problems

1. Millennial's have highest student loan debt in history
2. Millennial's have very high debt to income ratio with credit card debt
3. Jobs no longer pay people enough money to buy cars
4. Taxes do not create wealth
5. Jobs are being automate and production is increasing while the wealth isn't being spread around anymore

Democrat's KNOW NOTHING about how the economy works, equating a loss in business due to lower taxes is literally insane and well... stupid.

Good luck Democrat's.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to DupontDeux
because this post is only intended to push the posters political agenda
edit on 21-4-2018 by fightzone58 because: added reply

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Meanwhile , Construction is Booming , Wages are going Up , Retails Stores Sales are Rising , Banks are Lending Money Again , and it's Time for you to Move out of that Cave you have been Living in Since Mr. Trump became President .

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'm not an economist but isn't it a bit early to determine whether the tax cuts are working or not?

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: fightzone58
reply to DupontDeux

Why do you think so many in the GOP are retiring or bailing on the coming election.

www.cnn.com...

There's your agenda...believe me!

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The Chevy layoffs are because of reduced sales of the Cruz. One other I looked at is because of plant streemlining and advances in technology, we knew that automation takes away jobs. The idea is to try to get some extra jobs back here to offset some of the lost jobs to automation. The NYT article is from december of 17. Before any changes were taking effect.

This was too easy to debunk.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Tax cuts were never about manufacturing it was about helping people keep more of what they earned. Using your logic because ford is closing plants in Mexico and moving them back to the US I'd that because of tax cuts? How about IBM moving back is that because of taxes? You can't cherry pick jobs that were in trouble even prior to tax cuts and claim they closed because of it.

I'm a democrat well at least I have been my whole life let me give you some advice. Attacking tax cuts isn't a winning position for you or the Democratic party. When my accountant did my taxes he filled me in about next year saying instead of owning 1200.00 I should get money back. Now call me greedy but I'd much rather have the government owe me money then the other way around.

So do yourself a favor if your so against tax cuts make sure any extra cash you get next year you send it back to the government. If you don't then well your just a hypocrite.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

I am not sure if Fool is a real site or not, but I notice that neither MarketWatch, CNN Money nor WPXI mentions the tax cuts in their stories about the layoffs.

Oh, Motley Fool is not only a real site, it's one of the top investment and investor educator sites on the Internet and used by everyone who plays (or wants to play) the stock market.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

equating a loss in business due to lower taxes is literally insane and well... stupid.

I didn't say it was caused by the tax cuts, I said the layoffs weren't prevented by the tax cuts. That is not the same thing. Since we're still having layoffs even with a huge cut in corporate taxes, then obviously the tax cuts are not having the desired effect and are therefore bogus.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Meanwhile , Construction is Booming , Wages are going Up , Retails Stores Sales are Rising , Banks are Lending Money Again , and it's Time for you to Move out of that Cave you have been Living in Since Mr. Trump became President .

Check your sources again. Banks have always been lending money.

R etail is struggling and while few big stores are doing well, malls and smaller businesses are not.

Wages are stagnant, not rising (multiple sources. I picked convenient one)

Construction is booming... in North Korea. I'm in Texas, so that's not doing me a whole lot of good.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I work in construction and it's booming if you live in the right city otherwise residential is dead as a doornail.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

So the left is going to blame every job lost on the tax cuts?

Are you aware of how a business operates?

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: fightzone58
reply to DupontDeux

Why do you think so many in the GOP are retiring or bailing on the coming election.

www.cnn.com...

There's your agenda...believe me!

Democrats are retiring too. Boxes in stores are shrinking. Makes one wonder, or at least some who see some conspiracies here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join