It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manned Space Exploration...Why?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'm doing a little racking myself about that example I mentioned to FCD... if memory serves, the result gave two accelerations, one mid-level and one just prior to landing. That would correlate with using parachutes mid-flight, since they are really no different than a rocket as far as applying a force is concerned.

There's this little voice in the back of my mind saying I should just work it out again... but I simply don't have the time to run a three-day set of calcs for something I may not get to actually work on right now. Sometimes I hate that voice...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I recovered my password and logged in to throw some stars around in this thread. Great OP and some great responses too

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Sorry, but once again, exploring planet Earth is a far different matter than exploring another planet.

I wasn't saying that it is the same, I was only answering crayzeed's post.

Read my post without prejudice and you will see it.

Or read my first post in this thread to see what I think about the topic.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The Mars Science Lab mission used a parachute to slow it down in the intermediate stage.

A BIG parachute.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

That sounds right based on the calcs we ran.

Optimal Theory uses some seriously mean mathematics to arrive at a control input function that meets terminal conditions and intermediate limits while minimizing the cost equation... uses several relationships between differentials. It can literally take days to run a single set of calcs, but I found it interesting as a method to reduce energy usage in just such an application.

I have an idea in the back of my mind of using group-intelligence-based robotic units to minimize required human interaction, and Optimal Control is perfect for allowing adjustments in gait and trajectory based on sensed conditions. That's why i picked up on those calcs when I did... jogged a couple neurons that had been sleeping.

And that is one bigly big parachute!

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I am just going to say this and it probably wont be very popular but here it is.

I think we want to explore space because deep in our minds we know we are going to irrevocably mess up this planet at some point, we simply know that we will have to find another place to go someday. I think that's one reason humans migrated all over the earth to begin with, because if we stay anywhere long enough, we destroy it.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

I agree, that is the thought. The imagination.

Unfortunately, reality is a different paradigm.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

The simple answer is if we are going to travel throughout space and at least colonise our own star system.

Thus utilize it's vast resources to stay alive as a species at some near future date, then we must learn how to survive and live in space.

We simply won't know unless we go!

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Okay, so let's re-group...

1. There is no reasonably inhabitable planet in our solar system.

2. Traveling outside our solar system is unrealistic. (i.e. time, mass, etc.)

3. Anything which would destroy our planet would disrupt other planets in our solar system.

4. Humans are not entitled to eternal life.

5. It's 'fun' to think about landing space craft(s) on planets like Mars, but humanity will never go there. Ever.

6. The more we think about 'escaping' our planet Earth, the more we ignore surviving on our planet Earth.

7. Speed of Light travel is not possible by humans. Period. (Despite how cool it might be to think about).

8. Less than Speed of Light travel will never take mankind to another galaxy.

9. ET doesn't exist, at least not in our existence on this planet. And, if he does, we wouldn't know him.

10. The human form is not robust enough, it is far too needy, to explore he world outside our planet. The planet Earth.

I'm sorry folks, but this is the reality...as much as some really don't want to hear it. It truly is.

That is all.
edit on 4/22/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Fine. Go!

I wish you the best. Don't rally others, just go.

The reality is, you won't (go)...like everyone else, you are afraid. Afraid as anyone would be, knowing they will never return.

This is such a silly argument; man will never colonize space. Mankind is simply not capable, and we have 40 years of exploration to prove it. Mankind can't even colonize orbiting around the Earth, everything falls into the Sea (on Earth).

Mankind is fragile. We are most fragile beings.

Space? LOL...I think not.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

"1. There is no reasonably inhabitable planet in our solar system."

Build domes, build stations to accommodate industry and people.

"2. Traveling outside our solar system is unrealistic. (i.e. time, mass, etc.)"

Supersonic flight was unrealistic until it was not. Metamaterials and new forms of energy production may make such concepts as the Albercurrie drive a real possibility.

"3. Anything which would destroy our planet would disrupt other planets in our solar system."

But they, just like we are still around and have been for billions(life) of years, time enough for whole species to rise and fall a few times.

"4. Humans are not entitled to eternal life."

That may be the case but any AI we may manage to create might be entitled to such.

"5. It's 'fun' to think about landing space craft(s) on planets like Mars, but humanity will never go there. Ever."

Why not, when we find something of value we generally tend to go get it.

"6. The more we think about 'escaping' our planet Earth, the more we ignore surviving on our planet Earth."

Cant have all our eggs in the one basket any longer, they are going bad as it is.

"7. Speed of Light travel is not possible by humans. Period. (Despite how cool it might be to think about)."

Which is why we need to somewhat circumvent/bend/fold space-time rather than travel faster than photons.

"8. Less than Speed of Light travel will never take mankind to another galaxy."

But it will allow us to colonize our own star system which is a noble enough endeavor and may lead to our understanding of how to transverse the vast distances between star systems.

"9. ET doesn't exist, at least not in our existence on this planet. And, if he does, we wouldn't know him."

That's rather a fatalistic outlook, another way of looking at it is its only a matter of time until we discover life in other places aside from our own planet.

"10. The human form is not robust enough, it is far too needy, to explore he world outside our planet. The planet Earth."

We have made it to the bottom of the Marianas trench i think we are robust enough for space travel as long as we design out vessels to accommodate our needs adequately so, inertia is the real issue.

edit on 22-4-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I may not go but my kids might or my grand children.

The world changes, just look how much in the last 100 years alone travel has changed.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Frankly, I am enlightened by the responses to this thread, so many people with so much hope. It's enchanting, wonderful in a way. That so many believe so strongly in the human race and its survival, like it's somehow possible.

All those good thoughts and wishes will create, no doubt, some pretty good karma in the end.

Sadly though, if it is to be...it WILL be. We cannot change it. Thinking there is some escape for mankind, from planet Earth, is an oh so esoteric pursuit. It won't happen. It's all theory, hope and inspiration...bordering on religion. Reality plays no part.

Is it so hard to see?

edit on 4/22/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

We also believe in God, Santa Clause, and Grey aliens.

Hope springs eternal mate, cant just go around in life glass all half empty, what would be the point is procreating the next generation if we went around knowing we are doomed at some future date?

We are capable of such wonders as well as having a penchant for destruction like no other animal on Earth.

Six of one, half dozen of the other really but we adapt and overcome obstacles rather well, its kind of humanities bag really.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I love your 'hope', but in the past 100 years twelve (12) human beings have walked on the surface of another planet (the Moon). Just twelve (12) individuals out of 7.62 BILLION people. Can you even comprehend that????

(12) divided by 7.62 Billion is... .000000000157% of the human population. You will be struck by lightning (50) times and win the lottery (7) times before you will get to walk on another planet.

This thread isn't about dreams and hopes, it's not about fantasy...it's about reality.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Not really a technological issue through more a health and safety insurance concern.

Problem is our respective governments, corporations, banking cartels etc releasing the funds to colonize low earth orbit and return to the Moon via private companies.

Think how much it cost and how hard it was to travel between continents 100 years ago compared to the cost and relative ease today which the average person can afford?

The reality is we will destroy ourselves fighting over ever diminishing resources unless we get off this rock, and sooner than you might think.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Beliefs like that are similar to religion. They speak of a time when things will be different, but in reality they will not.

They speak of paradigm shifts in government and society. None of those thing will happen in our lives.

They speak of theory, theology even, and the spirit of mankind...but none of them speak of reality.

I am truly sorry to say this, but it is true.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I need to go get some kip mate.

Cheer up though, it might never happen, and there is always the chance that the singularity will safe humanity in ways we simply cannot yet comprehend.
edit on 22-4-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Sadly, mankind on planet Earth is doomed.

We have maybe 50-60 years (maybe a bit longer, but not much) to enjoy the rest of the ride, but even so, soon enough it will all be over.

We have gone past the point of no return. Our society is broken, our world corrupted.

It's rather sad actually. I wish it could be different, but alas it cannot. We are too far down the road.

So when we look to the stars, as an escape; it is not to be. We can never go there. It is nothing more than a dream, a fantasy.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
As long as they have people making a good living at space exploration, they will continue to feed us propaganda that we need to do it. It is causing destruction of our environment to send all that stuff into orbit.

As long as people profit from war, we will continue to have war. Bigger and better weapons will be built to kill people.

As long as people are getting rich off of medicine, we will stay sick if we are sick or we will be led to believe we are sick when we actually are not getting the proper nutrients to stay healthy.

Having satelites in orbit to watch the weather is not bad. Having a few satelites in space to learn more about the sun and space weather is not bad. That is about all we need, we have gotten spoiled with all the technology, people are not satisfied with simple things as much anymore, That will lead to our demise. We do not need to destroy this environment fueled by scientific discoveries either, it seems that more of what science makes is used to destroy our biosystem than to fix it. This includes space exploration, we do not need to explore more, there is no need to inhabit another planet.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join