It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Congress curbs class-action suits: Bush To Sign Into Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The Republican led U.S. Congress has passed a new law that is aimed at limiting class action lawsuits. The new law would move the cases to federal courts which are often less sympathetic. The curb on such suits was one of President Bush's campaign goals. The vote passed in the House of Representatives 279-149. Critics of the bill says it goes too far and protects business at the expense of consumers. Supporters of the bill point to the increasing amounts of suits and thier effects on businesses.

news.bbc.co.uk
The US Congress has passed legislation aimed at curbing class-action lawsuits against big companies.
Most such suits, in which people join together to sue the same defendant, will move from the state to the often less sympathetic federal courts.
Famous examples of class-action suits include those against the maker of painkiller Vioxx, retailer Wal-Mart and energy giant Enron.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm not surprised that the Democrats are up in arms about this. The trial lawyers have owned them for some time now. Next up is a cause near to my heart: Medical liability. The cost of health care is rising out of control and liability is a big chunk of this. Its not just the suits themselves mind you, but the army of lawyers, case review people, paperwork people, et al. that each hospital has to have on its staff simply to defend itself from often ludicrous suits. AT my hospital alone, the number of people that have a hand in record keeping, billing, risk management etc, outnumber the registered nurses by a 2 to 1 ration and that is the norm in almost any hospital.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The lawyers need to be brought back down to earth.
When talking about this new law, one calbe station mentioned a class action suite where the lawyers got millions and the plaintiffs got checks for 33 cents!
I cringe every time I need to see my gyn. My gyn is also an ob and has to pay obscene amount of malpractice insurance. Those premiums are passed on the patients.
It is totally out of hand. I wonder how many truly deserving people actually see any money? I wonder how many of these lawsuits should see the light of day!

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This bill takes legal power away from states, gives it to the federal courts, and makes federal big government bigger.

The National Conference of State Legislatures said the proposed civil justice reform "undermines our system of federalism, disrespects our state court system, and ... sends a disturbing message to the American people" that state courts cannot be trusted.

For some months, a coalition of 13 attorneys general, including New York's Eliot Spitzer, has been hammering away against the move as unfair. Also fighting the measure are state and federal judges, and a host of consumer groups, including the AARP.

A Serious Misnomer: The Class Action Fairness Act

At one time, Republicans valued the autonomy of individual states and fought against the federal government usurping state powers. No longer.

The Republican party has changed. Now it supports big government and international corporations instead of freedom for ordinary people.

Posted 10-2-2005 at 04:01 PM
Bush Pushes to Limit Class-Action Suits

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I saw this quote on yahoo and it sounds to me like your loosing more of your freedom.
"It's the final payback to the tobacco industry, to the asbestos industry, to the oil industry, to the chemical industry at the expense of ordinary families who need to be able go to court to protect their loved ones when their health has been compromised," said Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass. "And these people are saying that your state isn't smart enough, your jurors aren't smart enough" to hear those cases.

Looks fishy to me.

new topics

top topics

join