It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male fruit flies enjoy ejaculation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
To even get set up to reliably observe and monitor the ejaculationess of the little studs, and then get er done, must have been quite the saga of ambition, determination, dedication, ingenuity, adversity and achievement.

edit on 20-4-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
I can't wait for a more advanced civilization to start using us as guinea pigs. We'd have absolutely no room for criticism or say it's terrible.
It's probably a good thing we are alone in the universe

Come on!
if aliens give me lots of alcohol and/or jack me off.
I will Not complane at all

um? how do you tell wich sex a gray is?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Do you have something against research which can have direct benefits?

Why so testey in here over this?

I've got a bait store only a mile away full of big tanks shrimps for cheap. I could have made the shrimp video, and licensed the Benny Hill song usage for it, for way less than half a million.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The grant was not for building a shrimp treadmill. It was to study the bacterial infections of seafood. Are you well prepared to do that? The treadmill was a small part of that research.

Look, genetically engineering fruit flies to cum when a red light turns on is pretty funny. But the science around it isn't (and that wasn't really the point of the experiment). To turn this research into a science bashing exercise is not exactly a demonstration of denying ignorance.

edit on 4/20/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Lol science bashing? Is a new "ism" going to come from the whole ordeal, thus annoying protests etc?

Wait. Don't answer that.

On the surface this OP seems totally foolish given the amount of money spent. Thanks for your expertise. Keep educating the internet, Phage!

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

On the surface this OP seems totally foolish given the amount of money spent.

Isn't ATS about going beneath the surface ?

How much money was spent? By whom?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

On the surface this OP seems totally foolish given the amount of money spent.

Isn't ATS about going beneath the surface ?

How much money was spent? By whom?

Absolutely! You're doing your job, please don't stop.

We are assuming millions spent. I dunno by whom. (Tax payers? Yes/no?) You know though, so that's why you get the big props!

edit on 20-4-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

You know what the research is really about. Right?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

How much could you have made the video for?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Your link said it had to do with alcoholism and brain function.

The problem is, most people don't think a fly ejaculating has much to do with that even tho scientists find the info valuable.

We don't get the context. Thanks for trying to provide it!

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I wouldn't make it. I have no reason to as I am not researching bacterial infections of crustaceans.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

The problem is, most people don't think a fly ejaculating has much to do with that even tho scientists find the info valuable.
Most people don't read past the headlines it seems. First paragraph quoted by the OP:

The question has arisen as scientists try to tease out the neurobiological steps in how the brain’s natural reward system can get hijacked in alcoholism, says neuroscientist Galit Shohat-Ophir of Bar-Ilan University in Ramat Gan, Israel.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Correct. We are all guilty at some point of not reading past the headline.

As far as understanding how the natural reward system is hijacked by alcohol... well I personally find that kinda silly. Not worth millions IMO because we all know alcohol is a natural poison so it has adverse affects etc. That's just me talking tho.

Does this have anything to do with reducing physical dependency on alcohol? I'd be on board with that. But no study in the world will reduce the effects of alcohol, unless it's not alcohol anymore. People drink it because they like the effects.

Good discussion!

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Right, because the effects are always beneficial.

Look at it this way, you know you're going to end up with an all day hangover but you're having such a good time that you don't care. Until the next day when you really wish you had listened to some other part of your brain than the part that thinks being drunk feels good enough to make up for it.

How does that happen? What is the chemistry behind it? What implications does it have for other behaviors which we engage in but sort of wonder why when all is said and done?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Yeah, your statements are true. We are irrational when drinking. It's usually, from my experience living "in the moment", and not caring much about tomorrow.

But like I said...unless alcohol is changed to something other than alcohol then this study is useless.

Unless the plan is to come up with some other form of substance that gets us intoxicated without affecting our natural reward system.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Right, because the effects are always beneficial.

Look at it this way, you know you're going to end up with an all day hangover but you're having such a good time that you don't care. Until the next day when you really wish you had listened to some other part of your brain than the part that thinks being drunk feels good enough to make up for it.

How does that happen? What is the chemistry behind it? What implications does it have for other behaviors which we engage in but sort of wonder why when all is said and done?

Yes, it is also known as freedom of individual choice. We as a species do have the ability to choose our actions knowing the eventual consequences may be detrimental to our future selves. Yet, we still decide to engage in the behavior of NOW. From a chemistry perspective, it is not rocket science to predict a person will choose to get the present pleasure over the potential (yes, it is potential since not every night will result in bad consequences) ofr a bad morning after.

So far, IMO, science has not isolated what triggers the ability to choose given the predictable outcome being detrimental to the organism. I've read of rat studies where the rats (wired to receive endorphin rewards) died of starvation by choosing the endorphin rewards over eating.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Well let's hope the ejaculating fly study helps to find these answers. I wonder how many million$ it will take? But hey, science!

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

From a chemistry perspective, it is not rocket science to predict a person will choose to get the present pleasure over the potential (yes, it is potential since not every night will result in bad consequences) ofr a bad morning after.

But what is it that makes it work? What makes one thing more pleasurable than another?

And why is it that we respond with pleasure to things that are detrimental? Like rats (and humans) do? A pleasure response is built in, presumably through evolutionary processes. Presumably to produce beneficial results in terms of survival. What's going on?

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   

But what is it that makes it work? What makes one thing more pleasurable than another?

And why is it that we respond with pleasure to things that are detrimental? Like rats (and humans) do? A pleasure response is built in, presumably through evolutionary processes. Presumably to produce beneficial results in terms of survival. What's going on?

Wrap your mind around this:

During the run-up to the 2004 presidential election, while undergoing an fMRI bran scan, 30 men--half self-described as "strong" Republicans and half as "strong" Democrats--were tasked with assessing statements by both George W. Bush and John Kerry in which the candidates clearly contradicted themselves. Not surprisingly, in their assessments Republican subjects were as critical of Kerry as Democratic subjects were of Bush, yet both let their own candidate off the hook.

The neuroimaging results, however, revealed that the part of the brain most associated with reasoning--the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex--was quiescent. Most active were the orbital frontal cortex, which is involved in the processing of emotions; the anterior cingulate, which is associated with conflict resolution; the posterior cingulate, which is concerned with making judgments about moral accountability; and--once subjects had arrived at a conclusion that made them emotionally comfortable--the ventral striatum, which is related to reward and pleasure.
www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Honestly I dont even get how this is possible as My home got a fruit fly infestation last year because we had a ginahog .
what I did to kill them off was one For some reason they love coffee ( black no sugar or cream )
so invaded my mostly empty coffee pot after i shut it off there buy drowning them self in coffee .
and two after a little research I learned alcohol kills them But they love fruity drinks like wine .
So I poured a half glass of wine and left it on the counter after a week all the little burrgers were dead .
But it was a Human death as they all died happy.

so teh real question here is how did they get the flys drunk without killing them ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join