It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Booking international airline tickets...help?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Is there any trick to finding the best rates to fly international in the summer? Are certain days better than others? Obviously Friday and Saturday are expensive but is there some hidden code I don't know about on how to shop for tickets. I use different apps but they're all the same. I got my ticket to Amsterdam in October last year for March and it was $635, tickets for April-August are twice as much 😢. Is summer prices because they're insane! Is there a trick or method to finding decent rates? Would be it better to fly to say London and take the train to Amsterdam? Options. I am open for options.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Hey Mblah. Go to Flyertalk.com - it's a site that I also use - locate the airline forums in question and ask the experts. You will not be disappointed. All of us mental cases that fly weekly are over there.

There are in fact many ways to locate cheaper airfare and each airline has subtly different methods of doing so.

edit on 20-4-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Hey Mblah. Go to Flyertalk.com - it's a site that I also use - locate the airline forums in question and ask the experts. You will not be disappointed. All of us mental cases that fly weekly are over there.

There are in fact many ways to locate cheaper airfare and each airline has subtly different methods of doing so.

Sweet! Thank you! He has mentioned coming here every 3 months after November since that's when his Visa starts. I will go in the summer because it's easier with my son since he is in school. I would like to go this summer myself first and next summer my son will come. It's just tickets are crazy! I'm like damn! For some reason for him coming here they're not that bad. I guess everyone wants to go to Europe lol.

I'll definitely check it out! Thank you!

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Generally, ticket prices are way more expensive during peak times. Amsterdam (Schiphol airport) is the most expensive airport to use due to their ridiculous airport tax. Rotterdam airport is not that far away (a half-hour train journey, perhaps slightly longer) but should be cheaper to use. There are other cheaper airports but they might be an hour or two removed from where you need to be. Dutch friends of mine decided to go to Belgium to fly because it was so much cheaper but meant a 2 or 3 hour car journey. Hope it helps.

ETA What US airport are you leaving from? I don't mind having a search for you. At the end of the day, The Netherlands is not a cheap country for just about anything. Avoid summer and tourist destinations if possible.
edit on 20/4/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Can't you apply for 90 Day Fiance like any other sane person? Make TLC foot the bills. Lol.
edit on 20-4-2018 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I use Scott's Cheap Flights, the free version. Every day there is an email. It tells you the destination, which departing airports you can leave from, how much the flights are, when the flights are, what the normal price is, and if there are bag fees, etc.

Today it was to Zurich, rates below $500 normally $850+ on American, you have 1 - 2 days to book (estimated) before the flights are full, price is available May, October - March, excluding Christmas/NYE.

This email is good if you want to travel internationally on a budget and are open to destinations.

There is a premium version of the daily email which you can pay for and you supposedly get better deals in addition to the deals the free version gives, and can select options such as choosing your departing city and only hearing about stuff from that location. I have never paid for the premium version so I can't comment on it.

Then there is Skyscanner.net. Here you can choose where you are leaving from and where you want to go, then after the initial search, click on the month and pick "Find Cheapest Month."

IMO Scott's is best if you are open to going wherever and Skyscanner is better if you need a specific place.

Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

Generally, ticket prices are way more expensive during peak times. Amsterdam (Schiphol airport) is the most expensive airport to use due to their ridiculous airport tax. Rotterdam airport is not that far away (a half-hour train journey, perhaps slightly longer) but should be cheaper to use. There are other cheaper airports but they might be an hour or two removed from where you need to be. Dutch friends of mine decided to go to Belgium to fly because it was so much cheaper but meant a 2 or 3 hour car journey. Hope it helps.

So that's why Schiphol is so expensive to fly into! Goodness! I will check Rotterdam. My bf lives and hour drive from Amsterdam, he picked me up this last time but on the way back we took the train. I actually love the trains! I wouldn't mind a 2-3 hour drive from Belgium! I will look into other airports. I just couldn't believe how crazy the prices were!

ETA What US airport are you leaving from? I don't mind having a search for you. At the end of the day, The Netherlands is not a cheap country for just about anything. Avoid summer and tourist destinations if possible.

Well I fly out of MCO because it's closer and cheaper that Daytona International Airport.
OH I go to The Netherlands because my bf lives there
I want to see him in the summer before he comes here in November. I only want to go for a short trip since i can't take too much time off but the $1200 minimum price is crazy! I would love to go at the end of July for 4 days or beginning of August. I am not there to do tourist stuff, just to hang with him and do Dutch things. I am trying to blend in

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Can't you apply for 90 Day Fiance like any other sane person? Make TLC foot the bills. Lol.

HAHA all of my friends keep telling me to do this and I have never seen the show. We are both pretty private so a national tv show wouldn't be for us.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

I use Scott's Cheap Flights, the free version. Every day there is an email. It tells you the destination, which departing airports you can leave from, how much the flights are, when the flights are, what the normal price is, and if there are bag fees, etc.

Oh I have never heard of this site. I will look them up. If I could see like a month of pricing that would help! I could base my dates of departure on that.

Today it was to Zurich, rates below $500 normally $850+ on American, you have 1 - 2 days to book (estimated) before the flights are full, price is available May, October - March, excluding Christmas/NYE.

Wow that's a good deal.

This email is good if you want to travel internationally on a budget and are open to destinations.

There is a premium version of the daily email which you can pay for and you supposedly get better deals in addition to the deals the free version gives, and can select options such as choosing your departing city and only hearing about stuff from that location. I have never paid for the premium version so I can't comment on it.

I will look into it. I am mostly interested in destinations to where my bf lives in Holland, or something that is a train ride a way.

Then there is Skyscanner.net. Here you can choose where you are leaving from and where you want to go, then after the initial search, click on the month and pick "Find Cheapest Month."

Now that sounds more like what i need! Specific!

IMO Scott's is best if you are open to going wherever and Skyscanner is better if you need a specific place.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!!

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

HAHA all of my friends keep telling me to do this and I have never seen the show. We are both pretty private so a national tv show wouldn't be for us.

It's horrendous! Don't watch it. 😂

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

It's horrendous! Don't watch it. 😂

HAHA yea i have zero desire to watch it. I can't stand so called reality shows. They are ridiculous

new topics

top topics

join