It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Israel Halts Razing of Palestinian Homes: Army "Not A Deterrent"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The Israeli defense minister has called a halt to the policy of demolishing the homes of Palestinian suicide bombers and gunmen. This change came after an internal review determined that the policy has done nothing to stop the attacks and may have help to spread hatred. The policy has been in place since 1967 and more than 2400 homes have been destroyed. Some 675 homes in the last four years alone. Of all the homes destroyed only 20 capitulated to demands and turned over suspected relatives. Militant groups will often assist in rebuilding efforts thus weakening any possible deterrence.

story.news.yahoo.com
JERUSALEM - Israel's defense minister ordered a halt Thursday to the controversial policy of demolishing the homes of Palestinian suicide bombers and gunmen after an internal army review concluded it has not deterred attackers but has inflamed hatred.

Since the 1967 Middle East War, Israel has razed more than 2,400 Palestinian homes as punishment or deterrence — leaving thousands of people homeless — including 675 houses destroyed in the past four years of fighting, according to the Israeli human rights group B'tselem

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It took this this long to realize how bad this policy was? Not to mention the American citizen who was crushed by a IDF bulldozer. While not a popular subject, Israel's actions in Gaza and West Bank are for want of a better word war crimes. I can only hope that both side continue down the path of peace that they have started and stories such as this will cease as a new era unfolds. Both sides are equally to blame for this endless cycle of violence that has plagued the region.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I admit that I was pretty skeptical about this cease fire, but every week Israel keeps surprising me. Last week it was release of Palestinian prisoners and now this. Hamas and Al Aqsa have been on their best behavior.

Has hell finally gone and froze over?

B.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Any Step In The Right Direction Is A Step In The Right Direction

I know why they did it, but the Israel policy of demolishing the homes of families of mass-murderers has never seemed right to me.

Israel has endured horrors beyond description, as have the Palestinians.

I pray that both may come to renounce murder and terrorism in favor of discussion and negotiation.

I pray, and pray, and pray...

new topics

join