It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Footage of NYC in 1911

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
wow absolutely amazing to watch thanks OP those people didn't know it at the time but they left their mark in history and now in cyberspace and some of you guys might be looking at your grandfather or great grandfather/grandmother or great grandmother what an interesting thought

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It's amazing and wondrous to me how much things can change in the span of 90 years.
Makes me think of my great gran who was born in 1908 and died in 2006. The things she must have seen the changes she experienced..... I remember her being so fascinated with us playing on our bulky laptops when we would come to visit.

Who would have thought NY would be such a brilliant city with monstrous buildings and businesses.
Seeing those roads and the horses and the people walking about and then remembering how things looked on 9/11 to how they look today it's just.... wow. A lot sure can happen in a century.

Thanks for sharing some memories of our countries past.

-Alee

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
Pretty heavy traffic at 4:00 min.

So many horse and buggies still..

I did notice nobody was in a rush to go anywhere

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: stonker

tide pod hologram rap battle

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This was possibly the peak of our CIVILization meaning the time when people dressed civil and acted civil for the most part. Did you notice the streets were sectioned off from pedestrians with queue poles??? WOW...

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: stonker

What will people, I wonder, think of us in 117 years. When they gloss over vapid clips of grandma snorting a condom or of great grandpa eating laundry detergent, in the internet archive, the wayback machine of 117 years ago, of facebook and youtube.

When we too are mere distant memories, and our worth measured without context.

Yeah, some people should maybe think about things like that! I didn't notice any people with tattoos on their face either in the video, or any people with 4" PVC (schedule 40) pipe stuck through their earlobes calling it fashion, did anyone else? Wow, and people actually wore their pants up around their hips back then, and not around their knees...who knew!

I noticed how nicely dressed they were too. Men in suits with shiny shoes. Women in dresses, hats, etc. No jeans, tank tops, tshirts, etc. Interesting.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonker
And to think, not one of those people, not one man, woman or child, nor any of those horses, or birds in the sky, fish in the water, not one black cabbie driving people to and fro, not one train controller transporting every day folk to and from their work place, not one ladder carrier, not one hidden yet desperate gay person holding his secret lovers hand, not a single animal, in any form, from then, is alive. Their clothes put away, most likely now land fill, no machine being operated in working order, nothing.

Their grand children will only know them from memories passed to them. Photos and footage such as this, but to us, they are unknown, lost to time, reluctant actors in a timeless clip.

What will people, I wonder, think of us in 117 years. When they gloss over vapid clips of grandma snorting a condom or of great grandpa eating laundry detergent, in the internet archive, the wayback machine of 117 years ago, of facebook and youtube.

When we too are mere distant memories, and our worth measured without context.

Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past and gone: Is thy sweet Heart now grown so cold, that loving Breast of thine; That thou canst never once reflect. On old long syne.

That was great.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonker
What will people, I wonder, think of us in 117 years. When they gloss over vapid clips of grandma snorting a condom or of great grandpa eating laundry detergent, in the internet archive..

Lol ..

Trillions and Trillions of life forms come and gone..

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

This was possibly the peak of our CIVILization meaning the time when people dressed civil and acted civil for the most part.

I wouldn't go that far. Probably some of those 'civil' looking, well dressed men are involved in plundering some part of the world, or other corrupt things. They might say 'pardon me' though. Don't let those jackets, ties and hats fool you.

Also this is a such a small part of the NYC, prob different in other parts.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Wow, and people actually wore their pants up around their hips back then, and not around their knees...

I was thinking today, in the movie Back to the Future they made a mistake.

Doc was not supposed to give Marty flappy sleeve jacket and pull his pockets out, but to give him tight jeans, colorful boxers and pull his pants down so his ass sticks out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join