It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dynetics Wins Gremlins C-130 Launched & Recovered UAV Contract From DARPA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Dynetics was selected for phase 3 of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency’s Gremlins programme, an effort to launch and retrieve unmanned aerial vehicles from an aircraft.

The phase 3 contract is a 21-month, $38.6 million award. The company beat General Atomics Aeronautical Systems to advance from phase 2, and Kratos Defense & Security Solutions and Lockheed Martin to advance out of the first phase of the competition.

For phase 3, Dynetics plans to attempt in mid-2019 to launch and retrieve its UAV from the cargo door of a Lockheed Martin C-130 Hercules flying at about 150kt. By the end of the programme, the company aims to demonstrate four UAV recoveries in under 30min.

www.flightglobal.com...

This is a bit of an upset. Kratos seemed to be the challenger and LM the likely winner (given it has the Stinky School of Aeronauties). However, Dynetics I always envisioned as the long shot, nowayinhelltowin entry that DARPA likes to toss into the their down selects. Yet, here we are.

I suspect part of this is that LM and Kratos probably bid larger UAVs whereas Dynetics seems to work in the world of smaller UAVs. The art they show looks a bit like a mini cruise missile and the rep talks about it like it ought to be smaller due to shorter range, etc. I'd like to see what they have planned. This is a rather short timeline, so whatever they are going to do, it either exists already or will fly shortly.

To be honest, I thought Kratos all but had this given its other work its doing right now. I'm...rather surprised.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha
I wonder if there's a video of the launch and retrieval...L. Ron Hubbard had his fingers in everything.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

I'm pretty sure, but not 100% certain these are different. The spelling is different at least.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Its cool but why not develop the aerial launch and recovery tech around an airplane that is specifically designed for that?

They need flying mini aircraft carriers that can launch everything from tanker, bomber and strike drones around now to future types as they develop. Not just one type of drone around now.

Like a more compact "Strato Launch" but with more use of space for drone operations.

edit on 4 18 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Because the C-130s are ubiquitous and cheap for one reason. The second is any existing Hercy can be outfitted to be a carrier then. And the third is this is a tech demo. If it works, maybe they'll do a dedicated carrier bird. I'd bet against though.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

DC-130

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Zaphod you know the drill. I am next going to slowly make my way up to the argument for why we need battlestars.

We should name the first one Gallactica. Just saying.

Have a good one.

edit on 4 18 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

FWIW, they call the large NRO spy sats 'battlestars.'

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

Because the C-130s are ubiquitous and cheap for one reason. The second is any existing Hercy can be outfitted to be a carrier then. And the third is this is a tech demo. If it works, maybe they'll do a dedicated carrier bird. I'd bet against though.

Launching stuff is easy. Just dangle or chuck it out the back.

Catching stuff is tricky. A catch net? A flying landing pad with glide wings? Or launch and landing tubes like Buck Rogers in the 25th Century?

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

The links I provided gave away how they will get them back aboard: they will simply reel them in like doing drogue style refueling, but locking on.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Good Stuff!

But why mention it?

Keep it secret, keep it safe.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal
I believe they do. This is the old stuff, just new to us. I'd bet that he new stuff is well hidden.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Its cool but why not develop the aerial launch and recovery tech around an airplane that is specifically designed for that?

They need flying mini aircraft carriers that can launch everything from tanker, bomber and strike drones around now to future types as they develop. Not just one type of drone around now.

Like a more compact "Strato Launch" but with more use of space for drone operations.

Probably able to retrofit it to other aircraft too once you perfect on that platform. But maybe the idea is the drone clears and protects landing zones for paratroopers and can keep the resupplied?

Imagine a mini drone gunship

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

Some of us are Trusted to keep
it that way.

Best to You,

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
m.aviationweek.com...

A bit more info.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

The Gremlins are now known as the X-61A.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Hypersonic Gremlinskis!

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Dynetics is ready to perform the launch and recovery demonstration, but has been delayed due to damage at China Lake from the recent earthquakes. The flight termination system was damaged during one of the quakes, and until it's repaired the demonstration can't happen. The plan now is to demonstrate launch and control from the C-130, with a ground recovery, followed by a stand in Learjet owned by Calspan that will use the Gremlins software to approach the recovery system to approximately 30 feet to simulate a docking.

Dynetics, manufacturer of the intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance UAV, says that it is ready to demonstrate the aircraft, which will deploy from a wing pylon on a Lockheed Martin C-130 tactical transport. It will subsequently be recovered mid-flight using a mechanical arm that reaches from the cargo ramp of the transport aircraft.

However, the earthquake that struck near China Lake on 5 July broke a critical piece of testing equipment, called the flight termination system. This ground equipment is needed to terminate a flight demonstration that goes awry.

www.flightglobal.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join