It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRONIC: Canadian Singer Alanis Morissette Becomes American Citizen...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I wonder under which tax structure she will file under? This is funny as hell.
I thought Canada much better than the US.

IRONIC: Canadian Singer Alanis Morissette Becomes American Citizen...

The 30-year-old singer was among some 4,500 people who took the citizenship oath during a ceremony last week at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Morissette isn't turning her back on Canada — she's maintaining dual citizenship.

"I will never renounce my Canadian citizenship," Morissette said in a statement Wednesday. "I consider myself a Canadian-American.

"There was a turning point during the ceremony where I felt connected to this country in a way that I didn't quite expect," she said. "America has been really great to me and I have felt welcomed since the day I came here."

Morissette's songs include "Ironic" and "You Oughta Know."

link

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I don't give a crap about celebrities, but I fail to see the irony of the situation. Has this person ever said they would never get a U.S. citizenship only to go and get one? If she never did, then there is no irony to the story at all.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Uh, how is this Ironic? Did she ever say "I will never become an American, America is the devil!" No, she didn't. This is just like Tom Green or any other canadian becomeing a US citizen. Wow, you Bush babies are really scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything that might make Bush look good, even if it doesn't.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
What ironic is that she does more work in the US than in Cnd but that’s entertainment. Lots of entertainers have duel citizenship. Taxes, Taxes, and more Taxes, green cards, work visa’s, it makes cents ha ha haha

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Who said Canada was much better than the US? Did Morrissette?
Both are great countries, and her getting American citizenship is far from ironic.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
What ironic is that she does more work in the US than in Cnd but that’s entertainment. Lots of entertainers have duel citizenship. Taxes, Taxes, and more Taxes, green cards, work visa’s, it makes cents ha ha haha

You just nailed it, the rich find ways out of paying taxes....

You think she did it for love of nation?

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Again, when did she say she would never move to America/become a US citizen? If she never said this there is nothing Ironic, just two bush babies(Sauron and Ed) giving each other love looks.(was going to use other term but I would be warned)

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Again, when did she say she would never move to America/become a US citizen? If she never said this there is nothing Ironic, just two bush babies(Sauron and Ed) giving each other love looks.(was going to use other term but I would be warned)

As for your last comment.......figures.

For the first part, why would she even want to? What is the purpose? She want to be dual? No thats not it, she want to pay less taxes like the other wealthy people in the world....

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
No thats not it, she want to pay less taxes like the other wealthy people in the world....

And that's wrong? Why? Your gov't set up the system.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

James, low blow or what, Bush Babies, LOL you smoking that cheap shyt again here try some BC Big bud, better,

now listen I can’t stand Bushie, I can’t stand Morissette, but a lot of Canadian entertainers become American citizens because of the taxes, and spend more time in the States because the market is so much larger.

This isn’t she loves America more than Canada, it is she loves money more and wants to keep more of it. That’s it that’s all .
Oh except IMO any Canadian wanting to become a US citizen is nuts

[edit on 19/2/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron

now listen I can’t stand Bushie, I can’t stand Morissette, but a lot of Canadian entertainers become American citizens because of the taxes, and spend more time in the States because the market is so much larger.

This isn’t she loves America more than Canada, it is she loves money more and wants to keep more of it. That’s it that’s all .Oh except IMO any Canadian wanting to become a US citizen is nuts

At least your honest and I believe in this case correct, so much for love of country, they all love one thing money........

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I guess it never hurts to have an extra citizenship. Too bad she wasn't born "south of the border." She could just come here and get a job and stick around forever without all that academic nonsense. Comprende?

new topics

top topics

join