It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecstasy trials for combat stress

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
what article or study are you referring to that specifically says irreversible damage occurs if a user takes somewhere around 30 hits over any given time.

The ones I cited above.
archpsyc.ama-assn.org...

and
www.teichman.cz...

Twelve heavy recreational ecstasy drug users (30–1000 occasions), 16 light ecstasy users (1–20 occasions) and 22 non ecstasy
user controls, with group mean ages around 21 years, were compared.Three self-rating questionnaires were completed when
drug-free: the SCL-90 (an outpatient psychiatric symptom checklist), the impulsiveness venturesomeness and empathy (IVE) scale;
and the uplifts, hassles, stresses and cognitive failures questionnaire. Heavy Ecstasy users reported significantly higher scores than
controls on the following SCL-90 factors: paranoid ideation, psychoticism, somatisation, obsessionality, anxiety, hostility, phobic
anxiety, altered appetite and restless sleep, together with greater IVE impulsiveness.

Tho I should note

However, our ecstasy users were polydrug
users, with both groups showing significantly greater usage of amphetamine, '___' and coc aine, than the controls. These other
illicit drugs probably contributed to their adverse psychobiological profiles, while there is also the possibility of pre-existing
differences between ecstasy users and non users.

Exstasy is not a harmless drug. It causes damage. It can also kill braincells in a interesting way. It causes a rise in serotonin levels in the synapses by blocking re-uptake of serotin by serotonin-reuptake-channels. This results, as noted, high concentrations of serotonin in the synapse. This high concentration is thought to result in serotonin-reuptake by dopamine-reuptake-channels. This results in serotinin being inputed into vesicles where dopamine is 'supposed' to be processed. This processing resulting in hydrogen peroxide. This results in neural cell death. IE it bleaches brain cells.
Having said that, thats its suppose do be a rare occurance and I don't recall any studies specifically linking this damage to specific affects. Nevertheless, lets not pretend that exstacy is harmless.

Your are aware of the fact the brain repairs damage right?

The brain does not re-grow destroyed brain cells tho.

Now if the user took 30 hits in a months period that's probably more then the brain could handle and permanent brain damage would probably be a result. However, if you space it out, studies have shown the brain repairs what damage is done.

The brain does not repair all damages. I cited specific studies above that demonstrate the correlations and possible causes of brain damage in mdma users. Primarily the permanent affects look to be verbally centered.

It doesn't accumulate in the same way that say acid does. It's not stored in your spine and you don't get ecstasy flash backs. That's just not how ecstasy is processed in the body (maybe rat bodies).

I am not aware of anyone claiming that it does this, even in rates.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Nygdan...I accidently opened another thread on this topic...trying to get the mods to close it.....sorry. Interesting topic though.....

some very good info here:
boingboing.net...

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I only have one question... Do these people have to leave the military first? If we get our grunts out in the field rollin' nuts we're not gonna like the results methinks. NO PRIVATE, Tracer Rounds Are NOT Pretty!!! (especially the green ones, which are Russian-made.)

In all seriousness though, the government never can decide what it really thinks about drugs. We get all of these mixed messages:
They're bad, and illegal and you shouldn't do them (because it lets the CIA smuggle them into the country at a wonderful profit).
They may have value for therapy (but you can't have them because we have convinced half the population that they are manifestly evil, and now we can't get them to change their mind.)
They're not healthy- one hit can KILL YOU!.... Well actually we came to that conclusion by over-dosing prison inmates and soldiers on some of the most insanely potent brands available- we actually have little if any idea what chronic low-doses (aka, normal usage) will do.

And lets not forget that Fluoride, a component of prozac, is in our WATER SUPPLY because of that same government, and in fact in some places there have been stories of water actually containing Prozac itself in trace amounts! Prominent members of our government are friggin alcohol junkies! They're not drunks- they are chronic abusers of a DRUG called alcohol- they are junkies. Nevermind the coc aine use of certain officials who have skeletons (or should I say, skulls and bones) in their closet.

Christ in a dumptruck man, I give less than a flying fornication what the government wants to tell us about drugs now. Ecstacy takes the violence out of some of the most damaged people I know. Sounds just fine if you ask me. I'm actually more likely to try E than weed. Give it to our guys- we've screwed the crap out of them- the least we could do is not arrest them when they medicate themselves (and of course provide them with some decent therapy so that they don't overmedicate themselves and end up every bit as bad as their predecessors did after Vietnam.)

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I only have one question... Do these people have to leave the military first? If we get our grunts out in the field rollin' nuts we're not gonna like the results methinks. NO PRIVATE, Tracer Rounds Are NOT Pretty!!! (especially the green ones, which are Russian-made.)

Ha, thats great. 'Stop dancing with those glo-sticks, they're for emergency lighting only'.

On the other hand, maybe they coud be given crystal meth, like the nazis did, to keep them awake, tweaked and savage.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Nygdan...I accidently opened another thread on this topic...trying to get the mods to close it.....sorry. Interesting topic though.....

This should have been to ROMEO...who started this thread....The mods closed my duplicate thread!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join