It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mattis wanted approval from Congress before Syria strikes but was overruled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Defense Secretary James Mattis reportedly pushed President Trump to seek congressional approval for last week's missile strikes against Syria, but was overruled.

The New York Times reported Tuesday that the Pentagon chief tried to rein in Trump, who wanted a swift and decisive strike against the Syrian regime accused of unleashing another chemical weapons attack on its own people.

In a closed-door White House meeting with defense officials last week, Mattis reportedly cited a need for more evidence that Syrian President Bashar Assad carried out the attack and warned of deepening an armed conflict with Russia.

Friday night's targeted strike was a compromise between the two view points, but Mattis failed in his push to get an OK from lawmakers beforehand.

thehill.com...

As always, these are unamed sources saying this happened, so it could be false.

But if true, it seems that Mattis is a man I respect and is trying to do the right thing. I hope his is a voice that is listened to more often.

We should have had congressional approval; we should have had more proof assad did it before we attacked.

Keep in mind, Assad said as recently as February (I believe) that there was still no proof that assad ordered the 2017 chemical attack that reulted in the US dropping bombs.

Now I wonder if all of the people that called me a secret democratic russia supporter will say the same about mattis if this story is true.
edit on 17-4-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Given all the evidence we've seen that would draw this conclusion, I would give it high credence.

IIRC there was no definitive proof from the last chemical bombing either. At this point, I'm not sure why we are still in Syria and playing proxy with rebels there.

Across the board, this is clearly NOT what the American majority want regardless of political persuasion.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Congress has a way of gumming up the works. The president got more accomplished when they were on their 2 week vacation

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Given all the evidence we've seen that would draw this conclusion, I would give it high credence.

IIRC there was no definitive proof from the last chemical bombing either. At this point, I'm not sure why we are still in Syria and playing proxy with rebels there.

Across the board, this is clearly NOT what the American majority want regardless of political persuasion.

Well we know why we are there; because the etsablishment warhawks from both parties want a war in syria, and conflict with russia.

We know that neocons never met a war they didnt like.

But isnt it funny how the party of peace, the dems, and their mouth pieces have been pushing harder and harder for this conflict. They have sad unapologetically that russians influence on the election was an act of WAR!

They want the war!

And where the cultural anti war people that were protesting the Iraq war with me? Where are the muscians, the actresses and actors, the artists? Oh thats right, they are all cheering for the deep state and pushing for escalation with russia.

Hoepfully we can at least salvage out of this disaster that these smug elites can stuff it with their morally superior anti war lies. They dont care about stopping war; they just want their peace champion Obama to do it or have it somehow hurt trump.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

edit on 17-4-2018 by whyamIhere because: Stopped caring

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Congress has a way of gumming up the works. The president got more accomplished when they were on their 2 week vacation

Well I wouldnt mind gumming up the works of waiting tio drop bombs until, you know, we have proof we are bombing for a legitimate reason.

But fair enough; its not like the US would ever bomb syria for using chemicals, and then have to admit 10 months later that they still didnt have proof that assad used gas.

Oh whats that? Thats exactly what happened JUST LAST YEAR?

Oh, well this time is different I am sure.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Yes, political appropriation and manipulation of a populace that has a lack of critical thinking and forethought are an issue. Unfortunately, you're not going to change many minds. Although not being quiet has the possibility of helping.

Pulling at the heartstrings is not new and will continue to be the vehicle of propaganda.

I do wonder how, without brute force, steps will be made to progress on that front while Trump is in office. One thing is for certain, the D platform offers nothing in the face of Trump.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I know where you're coming from but you have to understand that you're advocating for tyranny. Congress, as sometimes useless and bloated as it is, is the people's response (supposedly).

Going above, over, around etc, is taking what small voice you have left away from the equation.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I am of the opinion that history will prove James Mattis (and Jeff Sessions) to be overwhelmingly opposed to President Trump. I believe they have undermined his agenda at every possible opportunity.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Now I wonder if all of the people that called me a secret democratic russia supporter will say the same about mattis if this story is true.

Members of ATS said that about you?? Yikes, if so. If not, carry on -- you just seem to be a fairly well-reasoned, articulate (typos withstanding), 'call a spade, a spade'-type of bloke. #Perspective #GramblerFTW

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   
when even a mad dog is more sane than a president...

i was pro trump but this unjustified attack with may and macron showed he is more of the same old and TPTB fooled us again with one if their men.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Yes, political appropriation and manipulation of a populace that has a lack of critical thinking and forethought are an issue. Unfortunately, you're not going to change many minds.

Add to that hindsight.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   

S + F

Technically Trump has these powers within 90 days or something? The Executive? Regardless this is a stupid move and it's a double smack in the fact without the approval of congress. Mattis appears to me to be the most sane in that administration. I don't know how on Earth he can stand being a part of it when all others have left?

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

S + F

Technically Trump has these powers within 90 days or something? The Executive? Regardless this is a stupid move and it's a double smack in the fact without the approval of congress. Mattis appears to me to be the most sane in that administration. I don't know how on Earth he can stand being a part of it when all others have left?

The sane guy has the nickname "Mad Dog"

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Ummm...yessir...Trump needs to stop watching television...with all his claims of fake news...he can’t seem to differentiate when the white helmets use kids in their obvious productions...

Now that he’s stoked his cabinet with neocons...I’m sure any voices of sanity like Mattis will be kicked to the curb...

BTW...I heff a new case of Stoli...fresh from the motherland...vee should toast our outing as Russians...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

What...you prefer a King, instead?

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Congress gumming up the works, enabled Saddam Hussein to transfer all of his chemical weapons over to Syria before bombing started. When we got there it was no proof of anything.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

a reply to: JinMI

Congress gumming up the works, enabled Saddam Hussein to transfer all of his chemical weapons over to Syria before bombing started. When we got there it was no proof of anything.

That's ridiculous...

More like A plot for an HBO military crime drama to portray the US once again in the right...

Since we were better armed and decimate the entire country, yeah, you can make history up. We were the victor.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I'll need to see a citation on that.

Also, even if true, that is a weak excuse to allow for the justification of circumventing congress.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This is beyond a DEM or GOP issue. The Deep State has decreed that Assad must go, and so he shall.

That's why we haven't pulled out of there. That day Trump met with GOP leaders and the following day, the #nevertrump movement died, is the same day Trump got his strings as a puppet for the deep state.

I'm not sure what they have on him, or what they showed him (maybe real time footage with crosshairs on his family members)? But whatever it was, he turned that day. Or, he was simply one of them all along, but I don't think so.

Look, I voted for Trump, but he's done nothing but 180s on major issues, so I'm over it. No matter what (even if HRC is running in 2020), I'm not voting for him after this. Syria was the last straw. He campaigned on a platform of getting us out, not escalating the conflict. Instead of draining the swamp, he filled it to the brim. I'm out. Done.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join