It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starbucks to close all company-owned stores May 29 for racial-bias education day

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

All of that, because some activists planned to set themselves up as fake victims? Wow.....

That whole thing just reeked of a set-up, as far as I am concerned.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: UnBreakable

Starbucks is different since their business model encourages people to loiter there. You can go into any SB, use their Wifi and bathroom without buying a thing. It's literally their model. They know, you'll eventually buy something as you keep coming back.

And, as if you've never gone into any business in your life just to use the bathroom....

Hey Jackwagon. I’ve used plenty of business’s bathrooms without buying anything. But that particular establishment requires you buy something to use the restroom. The main reason is Philly has a homeless problem and if not for that rule it would be SB public restroom. It’s not too much to ask someone to buy a $2 cup of coffee if you’re going to plant
your ass there for three hours and take a piss.

Stop being logical. There is a narrative to uphold.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
a reply to: TheLotLizard

I live and work in Philly and have frequented that Starbucks. It was understood I had to make a purchase to use the restroom. I never got special treatment.

The white dude didn’t make a purchase either so that’s out of the question.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
This really looks like it should be manager level since they set expectations. The workers are just that...they don't have time for racism. The hard part is to determine what is based on basic racism or what is based on local social norms? When a Star Bucks is in a poor urban area that is predominantly minority and it has all the problems with crime, homeless etc that these areas have how does one working at Star Bucks react to people who want to either use their services for long periods of time without buying anything or people that bring violence/criminal environment to the establishment?

In Portland EVERY establishment that has customers have put locks on their bathrooms as example. No buy, no code... How does the no buy, no taking up space that a paying customer can use fit into all this?

That's exactly what this is, from all I have read. They came in, and asked to use the restroom, and were told it was for customers, then refused to purchase anything, and subsequently refused to leave when asked. I suspect they did this just to push some "Starbucks is racist!" claim, knowing it was nothing of the sort.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Famous Starbucks coffee shop will be shutting down all their company owned locations on May 29th for a few hours.

Reason being: their employees must attend some sponsored re-training concerning racial bias and a few other things !!

Only in America...

Oh, really?

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: Xtrozero

So what if the person did represent the gangsta style, does he not have the right to be treated like anyone else. You may not like it but as long as the person is not being disruptive. they deserved to be treated the same as white male in a business suit.

A "white male in a business suit"?? Is that classist/racist/sexist all in one, or what?? Who says they were not being disruptive? Where is the video from before the police arrived? This was about two guys who decided, because they are black and can use that as an excuse, to enter a place of business, demand to use the restroom, refuse to buy anything, refuse to leave, and then pretend it's all about their skin color. I call BS.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: trollz
I thought this was pretty funny:

"Starbucks values all people of color"...
What an imbecilic sentiment. That's right up there with black lives matter for the most vapidly racist position taken under the BS flag of "combating racism" I've seen in awhile. How about valuing all of your customers? Or, if you really want to embrace the Kumbayah horsecrap, valuing all people, period? But no, somebody's feels will burn if we don't individually call out the specific groups in our exercise in reaching equality through artificially unequaling the balances.

ETA: I just opened that image in a larger window with the intent of scanning that code to get myself a free iced tea... "Limited to persons of African American heritage and/or identity at time of exchange."
Tell me this is a joke, please. I defended Starbucks over the initial incident (rightfully so seeing as how it's their business, their investments, and their risk on the line) please tell me they're not so ridiculously stupid as to run a promotion that is racist and bigoted. That would be a sad day.

It is sad, and proves that they are, in fact, racist, against their white customers.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I tend to agree. This was more about trying to coerce people into buying something than racial.

I will say this: if I stop somewhere to use the restroom and I am denied, I will certainly not purchase anything from them and will make every attempt to not patronize that business in the future. If I am allowed to do so, I will have a favorable opinion of that business and likely will patronize them in the future. Most times, I feel a personal obligation to take a Mountain Dew off their hands then.

Starbucks has promoted themselves as a place to relax and meet people for casual business and pleasure. They provide WiFi, they serve coffee (can you just get a black cup of java there?), and they advertise their locations well. That model has served them well. To deny restroom access seems to go against that model.

I am just speaking from afar observations. I have not ever been inside a Starbucks; I like to take my caffeine cold, and I'm not a huge coffee fan. I really don't know what an expresso or latte is, exactly. My new daughter-in-law works at one, and when she talks shop I feel like I don't know enough to listen, lol.

But all that aside... it's not my business and I don't get to say how they run it. Good luck in whatever Starbucks decides to do.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I tend to agree. This was more about trying to coerce people into buying something than racial.

I will say this: if I stop somewhere to use the restroom and I am denied, I will certainly not purchase anything from them and will make every attempt to not patronize that business in the future. If I am allowed to do so, I will have a favorable opinion of that business and likely will patronize them in the future. Most times, I feel a personal obligation to take a Mountain Dew off their hands then.

Starbucks has promoted themselves as a place to relax and meet people for casual business and pleasure. They provide WiFi, they serve coffee (can you just get a black cup of java there?), and they advertise their locations well. That model has served them well. To deny restroom access seems to go against that model.

I am just speaking from afar observations. I have not ever been inside a Starbucks; I like to take my caffeine cold, and I'm not a huge coffee fan. I really don't know what an expresso or latte is, exactly. My new daughter-in-law works at one, and when she talks shop I feel like I don't know enough to listen, lol.

But all that aside... it's not my business and I don't get to say how they run it. Good luck in whatever Starbucks decides to do.

TheRedneck

From the point of view of the Starbucks location, that's quite possible. I would be put off as well, because there have been times, especially with smaller kids, that we needed to use a restroom, but weren't stopping in to use the business. Typically, that wasn't an issue, though, and we would appreciate the use, and go back later, to that business.

In this case, it's also possible that they have a homeless issue, and have to set a rule to protect heir restrooms. Either way, it's a safe bet that the employee, and even the manager, was just following store policy. I'd guess these two guys, and all of their friends with cameras, knew this, and took advantage, to set up some "victim" game. Then again, considering how fast the CEO flew down, it's also possible it's all a huge publicity scheme.

Their business, their decision, but I think they re being stupid. I don't go there anyway. Not a real coffee fan, for the most part, and seldom drink it, and they are way over-priced. I have tried the frozen chocolaty thing, which isn't bad, but I don't really need any of it.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Wait a minute... stop right there... "frozen chocolatey thing"? They added chocolate in coffee and froze it?

My idea of coffee is steaming hot, 100% coffee, and strong enough you can cut a piece off and chew it if you like.

Anyway...

You could very well be right about this being a set-up. It's sad that there are people who would do something like that. It's the same type of people who would destroy a restroom without caring, leading to these kinds of policies. Sounds like maybe Philly needs to clean up their town. That's a shame, because the last time I was there as a tourist (I got to see the Liberty Bell and try a real, honest-to-God Philly Cheese Steak. Just don't eat the coleslaw... I repeat, never try to eat the coleslaw. It is not food) I really enjoyed the place.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   

“Businesses call police all the time to keep people who they don’t like the looks of from congregating in front of their store,” Roper said. “It’s homeless people, not only African Americans.”

Yeah. It's bad for business. I'm not going to go to a store with a ton of homeless camped in front. If you dress like a dirtbag, don't buy anything and cop an attitude of COURSE it's time to leave. Skin color doesn't matter. Buy something or GTFO.

I'd say the same thing to white people. Starbucks isn't a library. If you're sitting there not buying anything come back when you can.

I appreciate the idea and response here, but black people are not immune from criticism.

It sounds like they looked like bums trying to stay for free. The video I saw supported that. Professional meeting wearing sweatpants and corn rows? My ass. I wouldn't expect to stay seated in any establishment and use the bathroom without purchasing something.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Wait a minute... stop right there... "frozen chocolatey thing"? They added chocolate in coffee and froze it?

Yeah, a "frappachino", I think it' called. I have a thing for chocolate!!

My idea of coffee is steaming hot, 100% coffee, and strong enough you can cut a piece off and chew it if you like.

Sounds like the hubby!!

Anyway...

You could very well be right about this being a set-up. It's sad that there are people who would do something like that. It's the same type of people who would destroy a restroom without caring, leading to these kinds of policies. Sounds like maybe Philly needs to clean up their town. That's a shame, because the last time I was there as a tourist (I got to see the Liberty Bell and try a real, honest-to-God Philly Cheese Steak. Just don't eat the coleslaw... I repeat, never try to eat the coleslaw. It is not food) I really enjoyed the place.

TheRedneck

I wish I could think I was wrong, but these days, we see so much of this sort of baiting, and the way the CEO came in so quickly seems a bit odd to me as well.

Never been, myself, though at one time I wanted to go. Thee days, I'd prefer to void any and all big cities. Just can't stand being around that many people! Went, in the summer, to pick up a relative for a visit, and was in the city where they live for a few days. So miserable! Way too hot, which was not unexpected, and the traffic, gack!! And, yes, so many need to so some house cleaning, and clear up some serious issues.

That bad for the slaw, eh? Will have to remember that, in case we ever go that way. I tend to love cole slaw.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I wish I could think I was wrong, but these days, we see so much of this sort of baiting, and the way the CEO came in so quickly seems a bit odd to me as well.

Well, Starbucks always seemed to me like they were purposely targeting the Millennial crowd, specifically young professionals. That geographic is typically rather liberal, so the very thought of being accused of racism (the favorite battle cry against conservatives) must have been both shocking and horrifying.

Thee days, I'd prefer to void any and all big cities. Just can't stand being around that many people!

I know of which you speak. People do seem to infest those cities. I'd be happy as a pig in slop if I never had to see the innards of another city as long as I live. At the time, though, I thought it would be worth it to see the Liberty Bell.

BTW, it's a little bitty thing compared to what I was expecting. Of course, so is the Statue of Liberty...

That bad for the slaw, eh? Will have to remember that, in case we ever go that way. I tend to love cole slaw.

So do I, dearly. That's why i tried my best to actually eat it.

Yankees just can't cook, sorry. The cheese steak was absolutely awesome, but I'm not kidding when I said the coleslaw was inedible... that's a redneck telling you it's inedible; I can enjoy eating things that will make a shark gag and a billy goat puke. Anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line, you just don't eat the coleslaw. I avoid it if I get within 100 miles of the line.

Around here, anything that messes with catfish or barbecue has good coleslaw.

Southern cooking up there ain't southern cooking either... it's just Yankee cooking with extra grease.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Well, Starbucks always seemed to me like they were purposely targeting the Millennial crowd, specifically young professionals. That geographic is typically rather liberal, so the very thought of being accused of racism (the favorite battle cry against conservatives) must have been both shocking and horrifying.

Seems likely. Not a business model that ever attracted me at all, and wouldn't have when I was younger, either. For them to e accused of racism is rather surreal, all considered.

Thee days, I'd prefer to void any and all big cities. Just can't stand being around that many people!

I know of which you speak. People do seem to infest those cities. I'd be happy as a pig in slop if I never had to see the innards of another city as long as I live. At the time, though, I thought it would be worth it to see the Liberty Bell.

BTW, it's a little bitty thing compared to what I was expecting. Of course, so is the Statue of Liberty...

LOL, not surprised! I did take time to visit parts of the Smithsonian, when I was in DC, many, many years ago. That was a cool as I expected, though!

So do I, dearly. That's why i tried my best to actually eat it.

Yankees just can't cook, sorry. The cheese steak was absolutely awesome, but I'm not kidding when I said the coleslaw was inedible... that's a redneck telling you it's inedible; I can enjoy eating things that will make a shark gag and a billy goat puke. Anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line, you just don't eat the coleslaw. I avoid it if I get within 100 miles of the line.

Around here, anything that messes with catfish or barbecue has good coleslaw.

Southern cooking up there ain't southern cooking either... it's just Yankee cooking with extra grease.

TheRedneck

So very true, lol!! I a a Southern girl by birth and at heart, and totally agree!! Will avoid like the plague, then, if ever that way! Good BBQ, now, that's good eating! Best I can recall was some hole in the wall place, alongside the road, somewhere in Alabama. Melt in your mouth amazing stuff.

Yankees, though, don't even know what grits are, bless their hearts, so no surprises at the rest of their cooking!

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I wouldn't expect to stay seated in any establishment and use the bathroom without purchasing something.

So. You don't go to Starbucks I take it.

Free wi-fi. Check it out. A lot of people do. Have you ever waited for your friend to arrive before you order at a restaurant? I have. Never got kicked out. But one time a restaurant wouldn't let me in because I was wearing jeans. I didn't care. It was a crappy restaurant, I bet.

edit on 4/18/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

All of that, because some activists planned to set themselves up as fake victims? Wow.....

That whole thing just reeked of a set-up, as far as I am concerned.

Bet the company doing the "re-training" had a part.

😉

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
What a crock..

Just Sayin.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I don’t understand why they just didn’t leave and go somewhere else for their business meeting and arrange to meet their friend. There are thousands of other places in Philly to go. Usually I just leave a place and take my business elsewhere if I don’t like a policy. For instance, there’re plenty of Panerra Bread places downtown which have free Wifi and bathrooms. Sometimes me thinks people look to play the victim.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Why would you go north to try to eat like you're in the South?!

If you're traveling, you try to look for regional fare and eat that and look for the best examples of it -- hole-in-wall dives are often the best places, but you have to do some research to find the best ones.

If I go south, I'm looking for Southern fare, not corn-fed Iowa beef or Texas-style BBQ. If I got north, I'm looking for things like lobster roll and clam chowder -- not fried catfish and southern slaw.

As for Starbucks, I've never been inside one that isn't claustrophobic by design except for ones attached to places like Barnes & Noble, but those have different issues than this one would have had.

BTW, anyone ever comes through KC ... I can recommend some spots.
edit on 18-4-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

methinks if you went to a place where they let customers of another race do something but didn't allow you, you'd probably do more than 'just leave the place'.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join