It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starbucks to close all company-owned stores May 29 for racial-bias education day

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

I live and work in Philly and have frequented that Starbucks. It was understood I had to make a purchase to use the restroom. I never got special treatment.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Corporate virtue signaling.

I miss you giant meteor

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
when will people in america learn that education and whatnot don't change peoples way of thinking, people change people and the biggest thing that changes people are experiences. telling people how to think and behave only creates a few outcomes generally, passive aggressive actions to show their resentment, violence, people engaging in what they are being forbidden or completely ignoring what they've been told. this kind of stuff is why racial tensions are getting worse in places.

people don't understand that education isn't why racial or any equality issues have improved over the last 100 years, people changed because a few major reasons.

the first reason is that people showed that there was a problem through town hall meetings, protests, tv interviews, speeches, and riots, etc
the second reason is exposure to other races in white communities.
the last is that most americans aren't actually racist or really give a damn about differences between people

people changed america and they will change america further still.

pressuring people and treating them like children because some employee was doing their job and the people violating store policy didn't like that policy will not help, i'm quite sure treatment of other races will probably worsen in ways that aren't obvious and a new tension will exist between employees will probably make working at starbucks more awkward.

i bet you starbucks is about to take huge losses really soon from white employee feeling like they are being discriminated against for being white as if white people are naturally racist and need to be educated otherwise.

strike will happen and white customers will probably boycott them too or just start going elsewhere, you can only push so far and right now is not a good time for starbucks to do this, to punish people over someone doing their job.

refusing facilities to people who aren't customers has always been the rule in most businesses, it's a simple matter of the customer being the most important, all these idiots had to do was order water or something and it wouldn't have been an issue. all these disrespectful disruptive idiots need to quit provoking situations just so they can shout discrimination and get sympathy or just to cause disorder elsewhere.

it's divisive and a threat to social order in this country, it's people like this that always cause civil wars if their voice is loud enough.

maybe it's time to introduce a public protection law that makes such intentional provocations illegal and considers it attempted blackmail, coercion, defamation and a violation of public order.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
a reply to: TheLotLizard

I live and work in Philly and have frequented that Starbucks. It was understood I had to make a purchase to use the restroom. I never got special treatment.

Don't be racist... your just a privileged little white boy!

You don't know what its like to be able to use the excuse of being black... every time life doesn't go your way.
edit on 17-4-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

What exactly is this 'sensitivity training' supposed to address? Tolerance for free loading customers? Letting non-paying customers take up seats that were needed for paying customers?

This is so stupid, but typical of the Left wing ideology.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That HAS to be fake. It has to be right!?

That statement at the bottom is so asinine lol.
I'm with you...please tell me it's fake.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

So what if the person did represent the gangsta style, does he not have the right to be treated like anyone else. You may not like it but as long as the person is not being disruptive. they deserved to be treated the same as white male in a business suit.

The problem is that lifestyle is typically disrupted, so people expect it to be...human nature.

This is not so much of a black/white thing as it is a dysfunctional social norm thing. Dress/act like the criminal/drug dealer and expect people to treat you that way.

Even Jesse Jackson said a few years ago, “There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Actually I think that's pretty smart.

I haven't been in an SB in years, always put me off, but the few I did visit, it always amazed me how "white" the "help" was, particularly the counter help. If I were the CEO, I'd engage in some heavy duty Affirmative Action hiring. That should go a long way to solving the problem.

Lol Hmmmm....well first of all no it'a #ing stupid. Second of 6 Starbucks within a ten minute walk of my house im pretty sure i've seen literally every colour under the rainbow working at them. Dunno what you're babbling about.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

All 8000 locations will be closed for the day?
What will all the drones do for a overpriced “coffee” that day?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

All 8000 locations will be closed for the day?
What will all the drones do for a overpriced “coffee” that day?

There's always Dunk'n Donuts !!

bwaaahahahah

😃

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

I actually have a small local place a patronize way more than Starbucks. The one in the grocery store is just convenient when we're doing the weekly shopping.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

So you think this is a bad thing? Why?

I'm sure you know this is the result of the recent news of one SB manager calling the police on two men because they were black, right? After that, they were released (9 hours later) and no charges pressed. The CEO of SB flew down to met these men and apologize. This ONE MANAGERS stupid mistake does not reflect SB policy and now the entire company has to be retrained on how to not be an asshat.

I've gone through many similar events when I was in the USN. Constantly, young sailors were caught/arrested doing stupid things but the entire command had to sit thru a GMT because of them. It only takes one rotten egg.
edit on 17-4-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Corporate virtue signaling.

I miss you giant meteor

It sure seems to be generating a lot of free publicity doesn't it?
Go back and watch the original video, I have never seen 2 guys of any color being arrested for no reason not speaking up and complaining. The guy they were they to meet just happens to show up during the arrest. Uh huh. I think this was all a stage act for publicity.

link   
Sweet for the guys and gals who work there I guess. Free day off lol.

link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

Starbucks is different since their business model encourages people to loiter there. You can go into any SB, use their Wifi and bathroom without buying a thing. It's literally their model. They know, you'll eventually buy something as you keep coming back.

And, as if you've never gone into any business in your life just to use the bathroom....

link   
bahahahaha

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Publicity for what exactly? Their new rap album?

They were there to meet that white guy over a deal, I think it was real estate. The white guy is probably the one who suggested they meet at SB.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This is going to so so very racist to sensitive, progressive ears - but here goes. The problem with a lot of black culture is that it is a lot like the punk rock kid with the pink mohawk. They've gone way out of their way to build a culture around a theme of dissention from the conventional standards of society. Changing the how they dress, how they talk, how they walk, etc. Basically begging to be treated differently. And then when they are, they complain about it and call it racism.

This is exactly why we have conventional standards. They're like a regulation of the citizenry. Come on progressives, you like regulation - right? Now, I'm not arguing that the conventional standards are always right or all inclusive. And you're well within your rights to rail against certain aspects as me, you and everyone sometimes does. But when you've carefully constructed an identity for the sole purpose of standing apart from the conventions of society don't cry foul when that society rejects you.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Publicity for Starbucks my man.
How many times have you read/heard that name in the last 3 days?
There's a saying that there's no such thing as bad publicity.
I believe thats a truism.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: UnBreakable

Starbucks is different since their business model encourages people to loiter there. You can go into any SB, use their Wifi and bathroom without buying a thing. It's literally their model. They know, you'll eventually buy something as you keep coming back.

And, as if you've never gone into any business in your life just to use the bathroom....

Hey Jackwagon. I’ve used plenty of business’s bathrooms without buying anything. But that particular establishment requires you buy something to use the restroom. The main reason is Philly has a homeless problem and if not for that rule it would be SB public restroom. It’s not too much to ask someone to buy a $2 cup of coffee if you’re going to plant
your ass there for three hours and take a piss.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join