It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starbucks to close all company-owned stores May 29 for racial-bias education day

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Famous Starbucks coffee shop will be shutting down all their company owned locations on May 29th for a few hours.

Reason being: their employees must attend some sponsored re-training concerning racial bias and a few other things !!

SB has had problems before and had to shut down operations.

Looks like yet another social failure in the making.

SB is so much of a micro-managing outfit, I wonder what the instructions to managers look like for hanging the "Closed for Re-training" signs on their doors !!

Starbucks to close all company-owned stores on the afternoon of May 29 for racial-bias education day

Starbucks said Tuesday it will be closing all of its company-owned restaurants in the U.S. during the afternoon of May 29 to conduct a racial-bias education program.

"I've spent the last few days in Philadelphia with my leadership team listening to the community, learning what we did wrong and the steps we need to take to fix it," Kevin Johnson, CEO of Starbucks, said in a statement Tuesday. "While this is not limited to Starbucks, we're committed to being a part of the solution. Closing our stores for racial bias training is just one step in a journey that requires dedication from every level of our company and partnerships in our local communities."

Some 8,000 of the company's U.S.-based locations will participate so that nearly 175,000 employees attend the training program that will address implicit bias, promote inclusion and help prevent discrimination.

😃

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Actually I think that's pretty smart.

I mean, it won't actually accomplish anything, the bias is ingrained, but considering the size of the footprint of SB across the US major metro areas where the bulk of the population of POC live, its smart to do something, if nothing else than for the favorable optics.

I haven't been in an SB in years, always put me off, but the few I did visit, it always amazed me how "white" the "help" was, particularly the counter help. If I were the CEO, I'd engage in some heavy duty Affirmative Action hiring. That should go a long way to solving the problem.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
lol

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think they should also have more quadruple Star club points days for this outrage.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jiggly
lol

lmao Nothing like a Corporation losing money to take a day off virtue signaling?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Here comes Jane Elliot and her sadomasochism seminars.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The funniest part is that the people who work at Starbucks tend to be the very sorts of moralizing SJWs who would be demanding this.

It's funny when they eat their own.

Although as I mentioned, the ladies who man the little one at my grocery store aren't moralizing SJWs. They're actually nice older gals, and I've never seen them treat anyone badly no matter who they were, and I've seen them serve all kinds because our grocery straddles the boundaries of several neighborhood lines.

Heck, one of them even spotted me my drink when I mentioned off-hand that our car dropped its transmission one week. They're OK ladies.
edit on 17-4-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

Times are indeed changing and for the better as always./sarc

I'm not the only who thinks the training won't work:
From Team POC Newsone News site:
newsone.com...

A study of 829 companies over 31 years found that diversity training had “no positive effects in the average workplace,” especially when it’s mandatory. There’s a natural tendency for people to rebel when they feel scolded about their behavior, according to Harvard Business Review.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well if they think it will help with the boycott, so be it.

There does seem to be some irony in the fact that starbucks seems to try to cater to a more porogressive crowd, and progresssive hysteria is now hurting them.

Even if what these two incidents were was racsim (which I havent cared enough to really look at) it is laughable to think that somehow the actions of two or three low level employees justifies condemning the whole company.

But hey; if starbucks thinks this will help, good luck to them.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The funniest part is that the people who work at Starbucks tend to be the very sorts of moralizing SJWs who would be demanding this.

Yea, that's pretty much what put me off the place, even in the Texas metro areas, its like you've walked into "Portlandia" with a bunch of snarky, millenials, in their bike outfits, helmets et al. Loud, pushy, no manners and pre-occupied with taking their selfies and loudly virtue signaling their Leftist credentials and viewpoints as though looking for an argument, which of course they don't get because the place is an echo chamber, everyone trying to out "Progressive" the other.

It gets old real fast.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Well when their employees reject a black man from going to the bathroom and then immediately give a white guy a code i think this is necessary.

That’s exactly why they are doing this.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I wonder how many employees are going to take it seriously? and is this an over reaction because of a couple of not so smart individuals?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I know this is alittle off topic, but how do we know this incident was racism?

Maybe there was more going on.

But the fact it was black people seems to be all to proof that some people need to yell racsim.

I however, have a different take.

Everyone is focusing on these people skin color, but not on their SEX.

Thats right; this was MISOGYNY!!!!

Join me my friends in a boycott of starbucks until the company forces sensitivity training on the dmeonization of men.

After all, the disparities between men and women in the criminal justice system, when it comes to likley hood of being detaind, arrested, having violence with police, sentence legth, and conviction rates are all vastly greater than that of whites and blacks.

Therefore we can deduce these people were targeted as shady first and foremost because of their sex, not their color.

Stop the man Hating starbucks!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Although as I mentioned, the ladies who man the little one at my grocery store aren't moralizing SJWs. They're actually nice older gals, and I've never seen them treat anyone badly no matter who they were, and I've seen them serve all kinds because our grocery straddles the boundaries of several neighborhood lines.

The grocery store locations are contracted franchises, immune from Starbucks corporate policy. They'll only participate in this time wasting endeavor if the grocery stores that actually owns the location decides to put them through the same dog and pony show as Starbucks corporate is putting their worker bees through.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This really looks like it should be manager level since they set expectations. The workers are just that...they don't have time for racism. The hard part is to determine what is based on basic racism or what is based on local social norms? When a Star Bucks is in a poor urban area that is predominantly minority and it has all the problems with crime, homeless etc that these areas have how does one working at Star Bucks react to people who want to either use their services for long periods of time without buying anything or people that bring violence/criminal environment to the establishment?

In Portland EVERY establishment that has customers have put locks on their bathrooms as example. No buy, no code... How does the no buy, no taking up space that a paying customer can use fit into all this?

edit on 17-4-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Damn racist liberals. Damn them!

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Maybe those are problems at those Starbucks 'cause when I'm standing in line at mine and Connie knows the Hispanic guy in front of me, me, and the Islamic gal behind me enough that she's greeting all of us more or less by name and asking us if we want our usual and asking us how our weeks have been ... I'm not seeing it.

Not sure why mine needs that training, but maybe those do.
edit on 17-4-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
That'll teach us to complain. A day without coffee for the basic chicks.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

No the managers' jobs are to make sure the tape is aligned properly on the signs on the doors.

Company approved tape only.

😁

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join