It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sandy Hook parents sue radio host Alex Jones for defamation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Do you think damages have to be economic in a defamation suit? You are mistaken.

Pain and suffering in defamation cases includes not just mental pain and suffering, but also things like mental anguish, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, and anxiety. Significant mental pain and suffering can also cause severe anger, appetite loss, lack of energy, sexual dysfunction, mood swings, and/or sleep disturbances.

These non-economic damages in defamation cases also include such injuries as impairment to the victim’s reputation and standing in the community, personal humiliation, shame, and disgrace.

www.nolo.com...

Texas allows non-economic damages. Here's the complaint. Damages are specified on page 17.
www.courthousenews.com...
edit on 4/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Brilliant.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I see the useful idiots are out in force trying to help shut down those with views they don't like.
I don't care if Jones is a fruitcake, those that want him shut down because they don't like his voice being heard are far more dangerous than Jones is with his wild accusations.

I'd call them scum of the earth, in fact.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

That's funny. AJ funny too.

Check out Homeland Season 7.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Jesus, there’s seven seasons? I couldn’t get past the first one.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Useful idiots everywhere but they’re not who you think they are.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: Cygnis

Screw you and your psychotic army, Mr. Jones.

Scum of the Earth.

Free speech for all but those you disagree with, I see?

As per usual.

Carry on..

What this scumbag and his scumbag followers did, goes so far beyond free speech.

But keep defending scum.

As per usual.

I never said I agreed with what he said or did. I can't say I'm honestly aware. Frankly, I could care less too.

However, civil court amounts to nothing but money. It's not a criminal court. If he broke the law, there should be charges filed for anything meaningful to happen.

These people's pain won't be assuaged with money, will it?

Besides, his insurance will be the ones paying for it. yay increased insurance premiums!

But sure, stick it to the jerk.. grab your pitchforks and rope too!

/sigh c'mon ww3, we need a reset and some lessons..

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

the statute actually states malice must be proven

In order for the person about whom a statement is made to recover for libel, the false statement must be defamatory, meaning that it actually harms the reputation of the other person, as opposed to being merely insulting or offensive.

The defamatory statement must also have been made with fault. The extent of the fault depends primarily on the status of the plaintiff. Public figures, such as government officials, celebrities, well-known individuals, and people involved in specific public controversies, are required to prove actual malice, a legal term which means the defendant knew his statement was false or recklessly disregarded the truth or falsity of his statement.

although Alex may prefer settling out of court to save face, time and money he probably won't lose this case

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I thought you could only sue if you were damaged by the defamation. I for one think Mr. Jones is a crackpot; but if this will just be thrown out later; it's a waste of taxpayer money!

Py

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
I see the useful idiots are out in force trying to help shut down those with views they don't like.
I don't care if Jones is a fruitcake, those that want him shut down because they don't like his voice being heard are far more dangerous than Jones is with his wild accusations.
So if the situation was reversed, and it was you whose child had been murdered, and Jones was talking about your family...you'd just sit it out, cuz free speech?
Please, tell us exactly what you'd do?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

It took me a few tries over some years to finally get into it, but the show ended up getting pretty good actually.

In season 7 theres an interesting scenario thats sort of like an amalgam of things going on in modern politics, sort of switched around in certain ways though. But there's this Alex Jones mimic sort of character, that runs a troll farm and all sorts of real life stuff pulled into their fictional archs.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Useful idiots everywhere but they’re not who you think they are.

Anyone blowing trumpets over an obviously coordinated attack to shut down a voice they don't like is a useful idiot, dangerous and truly scum.

There are 18 lawsuits now against Jones this year.

Cheer away. The useful idiots I am talking about will only work out how idiotic they are when we all lose the ability to question anything we're told to believe.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

60. Defendants' defamatory publications were designed to harm Plaintiff's reputation and subject the Plaintiff to public contempt, disgrace, ridicule, or attack.

61. Defendants acted with actual malice. Defendant's defamatory statements were knowingly false or made with reckless disregard for the truth or falsity of the statements at the time the statements were made.

Jones had malicious intent and didn't give a damn about the facts. It doesn't appear that this will be hard to prove.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Maybe the parents shouldn't keep showing up in multiple crisis situations.

They reuse the same pictures. There are a ton of examples.

Good god, think of the children.

Oh look, that took 2 min to find

edit on 4 by Mandroid7 because: added pic

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: UKTruth
So if the situation was reversed, and it was you whose child had been murdered, and Jones was talking about your family...you'd just sit it out, cuz free speech?
Please, tell us exactly what you'd do?

Firstly I would not be doing interviews.
Secondly, what some blowhard on the radio says would not even register as important.
Thirdly, I would not let some scumbag lawyer use me as part of a campaign to silence anyone.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

60. Defendants' defamatory publications were designed to harm Plaintiff's reputation and subject the Plaintiff to public contempt, disgrace, ridicule, or attack.

61. Defendants acted with actual malice. Defendant's defamatory statements were knowingly false or made with reckless disregard for the truth or falsity of the statements at the time the statements were made.

Jones had malicious intent and didn't give a damn about the facts.

Can you tell me how you know his intent was to hurt the parents?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Sounds interesting, perhaps one day I’ll have another go at. It’s always a good thing to have a series waiting for ya on the back burner during those lull periods.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis

Screw you and your psychotic army, Mr. Jones.

Scum of the Earth.

Free speech for all but those you disagree with, I see?

"Free speech" under the First Amendment doesn't mean there are no private ramifications for your speech. It doesn't mean I must listen to your speech or that I may not react to it. You pays your money, you say your words, and you take your chances. The 1st Amendment only relates to the government affecting your speech. If I, on the other hand, don't like what you say, I can turn you off, I can call you names, I can sue you if what you say is false and causes me to suffer damages, I can call for economic or social boycotts.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Why ask me? Read the complaint. That's what it says (and a lot more).

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i know someone is getting sued for spouting seth rich lies too, not a great year for these liars.
maybe the conspiracy scene gets a shot in the arm, rather than blindly defending government or shifting blame around which is where it's at right now.
no doubt jones will claim again that his show and character should be viewed as entertainment and not factual, while his supporters ignore his words for once and get back to identifying gay frogs.
that canadian kid who shot up a mosque is a f an too, someone should press charges for incitement too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join