It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s trade rep spends $1M on new furniture, blames Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Looks like Ben Carson was just the tip of the iceberg. Trump appointed US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to spend nearly $1 million to furnish two trade offices. I can't fathom the justification for this kind of tax payer expediture. But you know.... thanks Obama:

President Trump’s Trade Representative is spending nearly $1 million on new furniture — and blaming the Obama Administration.

US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer spent more than $917,000 to furnish the two trade offices near the White House, according to contracts reviewed by The Post.

That’s a significant increase compared to the last two trade reps.

Ron Kirk, President Obama’s first trade ambassador, spent $237,000 on office furniture during the first 15 months of his term.

His successor, Ambassador Michael Froman, spent $151,000 during a comparable time span, records show.

nypost.com...

I'm even surprised the previous trade reps had to spend that much on furnishing these offices (which if you google, aren't that large). Lighthizer claims that plans to upgrade the offices had been ongoing since 2014 but those Obama-era reps claimed they did not sign off any major remodeling plans. Why would you put blame on the previous administration that ended more than a year ago and what your predecessors approved 4 years ago? You're the trade representative now are you not? You're in charge? You're following the ideological path of 'fiscal responsibility' right? So why approve it?

Seems to be a pattern of big spending under this administration and no shortage of excuses.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Looks like Ben Carson was just the tip of the iceberg. Trump appointed US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to spend nearly $1 million to furnish two trade offices. I can't fathom the justification for this kind of tax payer expediture. But you know.... thanks Obama:

If he buys American he’s just returning that tax payer money to American citizens and stimulating the economy and providing demand for American jobs.

If he buys American.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Does that budget count for new computer equipment, communications equipment, dedicated fiber optics, and SCIF upgrades, or is it for a desk and a few chairs?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

lmao @ this quote:

But Obama-era reps say they didn’t sign off on any major remodeling plans.

One former aide said it’s “laughable” the Trump Administration would try to pin this on Obama, seeing that it managed to pull out of the major Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact on Week 1 of his presidency.

“We told 11 other countries that we were going to do a trade deal with them, and the Trump Administration found the power to unwind that,” the Obama trade official told The Post. “So furniture purchases cannot be as binding as a trade agreement that the President of the United States signed.”

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
this must be all Trumps fault! Impeach HIM!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Looks like mostly furniture and a moveable wooden wall system:

In the last 15 months, the two Washington trade offices — the Winder Building and nearby annex at 1724 F St. NW — have 60 sit-stand desks at a cost of $18,500; moveable wooden wall systems that cost $290,000 and 90 Herman Miller Aeron office chairs billed at $54,000.

The biggest bill was some $475,000 to Executive Furniture of Washington DC, which specializes in rich wood finished desks and high-grade furniture fit for bosses.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Clearly it's the deep state.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Fiscal conservatism in action right?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

“Deep State Discount Furniture Warehouse”
Prices lower than our secret underground bunkers

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Office furniture is expensive.

It cost me $80k to replace the furniture in my office in DC a few years ago.

That was for 3 cubicle style desks and 3 wall lockers. No computers, phones, printers...

How many rooms were furnished in that office?
I could see that adding up quickly.

It still sucks, but office furniture is a racket that pays to get into.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Clearly.

GOP lawmaker blames 'deep state' for Carson's $31K dining set
edit on 17-4-2018 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Seems to be a pattern of big spending under this administration and no shortage of excuses.

Think of what a hero he'd be if he bombed Sweden and liberated IKEA!!

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Fiscal conservatism in action right?

Can you explain exactly what part Trump had in all this? I just must have missed his actions that resulted in this miscarriage of justice.

I do look forward to your explanation.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Can you explain exactly what part Trump had in all this? I just must have missed his actions that resulted in this miscarriage of justice.

I do look forward to your explanation.

That's an easy one:

Trump nominates Robert Lighthizer as U.S. trade representative

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

He appointed him, just like he appointed Carson, just like he appointed Bolton.

It's the choice he makes, the people he chooses to fill his administration. What's so hard to understand?

Just like Obama appointed Hillary Clinton and Eric Holder no?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Must be using $400 hammers to install $800 toilet seats.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
All Trump has to do is say he learned about it when watching the news, was deeply distressed, and will take care of it.

That was enough for liberals for 8 years.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Two of the furniture contractors contacted by The Post said the trade offices were in need of upgrades and plans were in the works prior to Trump taking office.

So he said she said involving former Obama people and a Trump appointee and two contractors. Hmmm.

I wanna see the contracts.
I wanna see whatever plans were in place since 2014.

I doubt the NYPost will ever provide any of that.

edit on 17-4-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The biggest bill was some $475,000 to Executive Furniture of Washington DC, which specializes in rich wood finished desks and high-grade furniture fit for bosses.

Fit for bosses.
Ain't no boss got time to sit on any plastic chairs or write on any particle board desks. No Sir. What are we, Savages? We need some highly endangered rain forest tree wood desks (BIG ones!) stained with the blood of indigenous tribesmen. If it costs less than 5 digits, we ain't interested.

And chairs! We need some q-u-a-l-i-t-y chairs. You can't expect anyone to conduct high level trade negotiations while their rear end is sweating on some cheap, leather and mahogany garbage. No way. Unless that chair is operated via Bluetooth from trade delegates cell phones while they're in the limo driving up to the place, what are we really doing?

I for one am glad to know all the federal taxes I will ever pay are going to refurnish 1/4 of an office in DC somewhere. And this totally-worth-it redecoration will last maybe 4 years until the next appointee shows up. Then we start all over. Of course that cost will have to be born by another citizen slaving away his/her entire life. Rewarding indeed!

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Seriously?!

Now we are nitpicking the details of office furniture? Of all the Government waste on welfare, stupid wars and subsidies we are worried about office furniture?

You people are unhinged and need to find a new hobby.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join