It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local MSM, share your local story...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Silly topic maybe but just interested in the different stories from around the world of ATS membership.
I'll go first. The main local commercial network for me in the UK is ITV Westcountry, so here's their headline of the day...
Hundreds protest in Bristol & Exeter against UK air strikes in Syria

More than 600 people have taken part in protests in Bristol city centre and in Bedford Square, Exeter against UK involvement in air strikes in Syria.
The demonstrations were a call to "halt the military intervention and demand MPs and parliament represent this opposition".
The marches were just two of many planned across the country. They were organised by the Stop the War Coalition, who call the military action a "potentially catastrophic move" from the Government and allies.

Lol, two cities with a combined population of over half a million, and 600 people turned out to protest. Sorry guys, nobody cares, obviously.
I support their intent though, but whatever, share your local news headlines here if you have anything more interesting going on in your area.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

O.k., I'll play!

The following was big time news 5 days ago on our local MSM, (ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox) affiliates!

"Texas OKs Mexican-American studies curriculum under new name"
www.foxnews.com...

The Texas Board of Education has given preliminary approval to creating statewide academic standards for a Mexican-American studies high school course — but only after changing the name to "ethnic studies," which conservatives argued is less divisive. The Republican-controlled board listened Wednesday to hours of often emotional testimony from students, teachers, parents, academic experts and activists who urged a consistent framework for school districts already offering Mexican-American studies courses. It then voted 14-1 to approve standards for a course called "Ethnic Studies: An Overview of Americans of Mexican Descent." In 2014, the same board refused to approve a full, statewide Mexican-American course. School districts can instead create their own, and supporters argued that cementing consistent curriculums would make existing programs easier to teach. Texas public schools are now majority Hispanic.

What the story doesn't tell you is that the TV reporting included scenes of distraught people protesting the name change, weeping and crying and screaming discrimination...........often times in Spanish (the Mexican version).

Hilarious really because the truth be told..........its anymore pretty much their State, they just haven't entirely taken over yet.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Thanks for the reply

I'm shocked that the course name offended anyone! If the course is about US/Mex studies then that should be it's name. We have courses like African studies here, and seperate Ethnic study courses.
edit on 17-4-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: stupid auto-correct

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

American Wanted to Recreate Columbine Massacre in Halifax Mall

Souvannarath, now 26, and her co-conspirator, Randall Shepherd, both pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit murder. Shepherd is serving a 10-year prison sentence for his role.

A third man involved, 19-year-old James Gamble, killed himself at his Timberlea, N.S., home as police surrounded the house on the day of the 2015 arrests.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Blinkin' eck, that's a crazy story, she ain't a looker either, the psycho lil bitch!
Haha, glad they caught them though, good local news link, nice one.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I don't know why, but for some reason, this poor bridge's misfortune just cracks me up every time someone beans it.

www.wzzm13.com...
Replacement of 100th Street Bridge coming in 2020

BYRON TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- The 100th Street bridge in southern Kent County has been hit seven times by semis this year. I'll say that again. Seven times.

Long story short, the bridge's height is a bit shorter than others, and for some weird reason, semis keep hitting it this year. It's lower height is even mentioned in existing trucker manuals, nobody can figure this out.

I wonder how many more times it'll get clobbered before the new one goes up XD

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Its not easy to understand. They are intensely proud of their "Mexican" Heritage. Guess you'd have to live here a while to actually "get" that aspect of their living here. So, for example, the really BIG celebration in San Antonio is "Cinco de Mayo", en.wikipedia.org...

Cinco de Mayo (pronounced [ˈsiŋko ðe ˈmaʝo]; Spanish for "Fifth of May") is an annual celebration held on May 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's unlikely victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza.[1][2] In the United States, Cinco de Mayo has taken on a significance beyond that in Mexico.[3][4][5][6] In the U.S. the date has become associated with the celebration of Mexican-American culture. In Mexico, the commemoration of the battle continues to be mostly ceremonial, such as through military parades.

Another example is their dedication to Mexican Music which is called "Tejano":
en.wikipedia.org...

Tejano music or Tex-Mex music (Texan-Mexican music) is the name given to various forms of folk and popular music originating among the Mexican-American populations of Central and Southern Texas. With roots in the late 19th century, it became a music genre with a wider audience in the late 20th century thanks to artists such as Selena (often referred to as "The Queen of Tejano"),

So, yea, to them...........they aren't "ethnic" they are MEXICAN!

This is a classic:

Unfortunately, kind of like Country Music, after a while, you heard one, you heard them all, with a few exceptional standouts.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Haha cool

I hope they sort drainage out when they lower the road under the bridge, be funny as if it flooded!
Cheers for posting, and all more welcome. If I visit any town or city in Britain I always buy the local paper, this is a bit like that for me.

edit on 17-4-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Here is one of my favourits:

Squirrel loses everything in house fire

"A North End squirrel has a harsh winter ahead of it after a loose cigarette butt caught fire"

Just one of the classics in this town.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

It's interesting how our cultures are so different between members.
I'm loving the second youtube, she's singing in my ears right now, nice one. I'm dreamily thinking of a Mexican girl I had the pleasure of being in love with when I was in university...ah...memories...

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Oh man, gutted for the little guy, lost all his prep's!!
I reckon I would have thrown a bag or two of nuts to help out

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

i am urged to give you my full critique on the denizens of bristol - but suffice to say - is the " stop chemtrails " banner still hanging fro the bridge ? [ its was there fro 2010 to 2016 [ not been recent ] ]

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Haha, I haven't been there for a while, I'm a fair drive more south west, have got some mates up there though, pseudo hippy types, do too many substances and too little work lol...mates though, so, you know.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Great! Thought you might enjoy those!

Look up "Tejano" in Wikipedia and the give you a fair list of performers to search for in YouTube.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

The funny thing is, there was a gofundme set up for the damn thing lol.
He raised a couple hundred bucks, that I'm sure the owner of the gofundme page, used to purchase luxurious nuts and seeds for him...along with retrofitting of a plywood box, into one hell of a new den. Lol

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   
In my very local news.
The twins are pissing in the pot instead of their diapers.
They also have the alphabet down and are experimenting with new, more jazzy variations, of the classic sing-song melody.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Haha I'm loving your 'really' local news

My best mate (like a brother) is a member on ATS but he never posts, only reads.
Out of interest, I checked the local news from the estate he grew up in, Liverpool UK. OMG I can see why he moved here, every story is a crime story. He's always explained 'back home' as being like that but after reading his local paper online I totally get it...
Liverpool Echo

Thief said she'd 'smash in' 89-year-old's teeth - for the sake of £20
Pair arrested for attempted murder after man and woman shot in Huyton
Dad who tried to meet child for sex exposed on Facebook Live by ‘paedo hunters’
Horrific axe wounds suffered by dog whose owner claimed he hit pet with wooden handle
Gun-toting thug threatened to put mother of his child “in a box”
Two men to face trial over attack when dad’s ears were cut off in railway tunnel
Crackdown on scrambler yobs and masked thugs causing trouble in Huyton and Page Moss

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Not bad news on the main 'Westcountry' news in my SW England world, no murders or horrible violent/sexual crimes reported.
Sad news 5 year old drowned in the sea, and woman dies after car crashes through house, but all other news neutral, meh, or a smile.
I chose this feelgood smile for today...
Orphan badger twins saved from starvation

A pair of orphan badger twins have been saved from starvation after they lost contact with their mother.
The two badgers were found 24 hours apart in the Dartmoor area at an entrance of a badger sett. The two badgers were found 24 hours apart in the Dartmoor area.
Staff at Secret World Wildlife Rescue in East Huntspill, Somerset are currently caring for the pair after they were found by a member of the public last week. They were found crying and calling for their mother.

...mad when I look at local news from around the world and I'm glad they are not headlines in my area.
Please do share your local news, even just regional, I love reading about places I've never been or ever thought about.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Breaking nooz.
My across the street neighbor's name isn't 'Bill.'
I've been calling him Bill for a couple of years.
I've been doing yard-work for him for some time.
He's old and decrepit...pays me with beer.
Yesterday I knocked on his door and what I assumed to be his wife answered.
I ask "Is Bill around."
She says "Bill who?"
Turns out his name is Harold.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Haha, I know loads of people but haven't a clue what their name is, it's bad when they know mine.
I blag it by using terms like mate, buddy, fella, etc, pull it off well.

My local msm news headline choice of the day is:
Bronze age pot uncovered in Cornwall field
My first thoughts were wow, those plants have lasted well, or must have good stash boxes back in the day, but no...

An intact earthenware pot thought to date back to the Bronze Age has been unearthed in a field in Cornwall.
The pot, which is 12in (30cm) high, is about 4,000 years old and thought to contain human remains.
It was found just below the surface, along with other Bronze Age artefacts like pottery and flint tools, at Hendersick Barrow near Looe. Lead archaeologist Dr Catherine Frieman said: "It's almost a miracle that a plough has never hit it."

The project is part of the Southeast Kernow Archaeological Survey, with input from the Australian National University (ANU).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join