It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

inconvienent facts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: network dude
I am not here to be a "denier", or whatever other label needs to be attributed to me for voicing my opinion based on facts. I am just offering a perspective based on my reality. February was very warm. Unusually warm. But March and April have been uncharacteristically cold.
www.accuweather.com...

Yet, when I hear the news report on "weather", I hear this year has been the hottest on record yet again.
www.usatoday.com...

I understand that not everywhere is the same, but it sure seems that for shock value, all the cold areas are ignored, in favor of blasting the media with WARMING news. I feel like it's dishonest and not explaining the facts is misrepresenting the truth. Is there some prize for converting believers? is there a quota that needs to be met?

It's not hot everywhere, and we might all still survive the Apocalypse.

One is weather in one place. The other is global average.

You even even acknowledge this in your post.

No scientist or reputable commentator claims that global warming means its always hotter everywhere.

So what is it you expect exactly?

Part of the problem is that they've created this situation where the prediction is always right... it is quite comical to us common sense guys.

If it gets warmer, then it is climate change. If it gets colder, it is still climate change. If it rains more, it is climate change. If it is a drought, it is climate change.

No matter what the weather or climate does, we can always blame it on man made climate change and need to be taxed to oblivion.

Intuitively, we know weather men can't predict local weather worth a sh*t a few days out... yet, we are supposed to believe computer simulations for GLOBAL climate over decades. The models are consistently wrong and even when they go back and update them with actual weather that resulted, they are still wrong.

Only that isn't really true at all. The scientific evidence overwhelming supports that man is having an escalating effect on climate change.

The models are updated to make them more accurate, not to revisit previous predictions.

Is media reporting on climate change often misleading? Absolutely, by both 'sides'.

However that in no way detracts from the actual science, and a thread about how it's cold somewhere disproves climate change doesn't either.

Why would you not go back and test a model's outputs against actual results? That is how you narrow down what variables are correlated the most with the results.

For example, if a model says climate is going to increase by X this year. The year passes and the climate only changed by Y. You go back and figure out why the model's prediction was wrong against what actually occurred. You can also adjust the variables to see if you can make the model's prediction match to what occurred to see what variables were having the biggest impact and accuracy on the prediction.

The thing is when they go back and compare model's predictions to the actual results, they are wrong. Even when they update the models actual variables, the predictions are still wrong indicating scientist still don't really know what causes the changes.

Climate Models vs Climate Reality

Your link disputes the rate that climate is changing, not the fact it is.

It certainly doesn't go ' its snowing outside therefore science is wrong' .

No sh*t Sherlock. No one has ever disputed that climate changes. It has been changing since the beginning. The entire point of climate models is to tell us what and how much it is changing and they have been woefully wrong at doing it That is the point of the link. It shows the climate model predictions versus what actually occurred.

The models are off somewhere resulting in a very large gap between the predictions and reality with a bias towards warming.

Much more accurate to look outside and think 'bit chilly, global, warming must be a myth'.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Has anyone tracked the movement of the North Pole showing how the weather would change accordingly? Based on what I've seen on the 'tracking' images, it's moved a fair bit, enough to make a decent amount of changes over the last 100 years.

For me, that seems like it would certainly change weather/temperature around the globe.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well I dunno about elsewhere but the growing seasons have changed over the last few years here. This year everything s tarted early in February then got snowed on. Last year plants started budding in January and a bunch of crops got #ed last year because of it. There was no rain at all here through August and September then only a little bit in October. This is not normal. Geese don't leave here in the winter anymore and haven't since at least 2009.

The weather has been totally #ed for at least the last 5-10 years. I dunno why or how...it doesn't matter. But anyone who spends time outside and pays even the slightest bit of attention to plants and animals around them instead of getting their weather from the internet should be able to tell something is #ed.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Cut air travel in half, there are way too many jets flying around and no trees up in the sky. Science invented these jets. Quit poluting the ocean with chemistry made by science. The Ocean and lakes are suffering from all sorts of unnatural and concentrated chemistry, science contributed to this mess, the research actually fueled the expansion. Corn gas is bad for the environment overall.

I second those motions! Do I hear a third?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Is media reporting on climate change often misleading? Absolutely, by both 'sides'.

that is why I wrote this and why it irritates me. Rather than explain the truth, you must not only be told about the warming, you MUST believe and have FAITH that AGW is real and we will all die because of it, yet no real alternative has been offered, oh, and have a nice day. That kind of propaganda is just not necessary and the more I see, the more it feels like propaganda that I should be against.

If it's cold where I am for weeks on end, it almost makes me wonder if I am in some strange pocket of wrong weather, or is there a bigger trend that we aren't allowed to speak of? I know it's still cold in Ohio, they are getting snow today, and it should be spring there, so somehow, the warming climate didn't make it to the areas I know people in yet. I'm ready for the warm.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Except they are doing exactly that. Hottest 'year' on record ... While my wife can't stop talking about how cold it is.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

originally posted by: network dude
I am not here to be a "denier", or whatever other label needs to be attributed to me for voicing my opinion based on facts. I am just offering a perspective based on my reality. February was very warm. Unusually warm. But March and April have been uncharacteristically cold.
www.accuweather.com...

Yet, when I hear the news report on "weather", I hear this year has been the hottest on record yet again.
www.usatoday.com...

I understand that not everywhere is the same, but it sure seems that for shock value, all the cold areas are ignored, in favor of blasting the media with WARMING news. I feel like it's dishonest and not explaining the facts is misrepresenting the truth. Is there some prize for converting believers? is there a quota that needs to be met?

It's not hot everywhere, and we might all still survive the Apocalypse.

We tend to base our observation on where we live... We forget media reports and statistics are often compiled elsewhere.. and mistakenly forget that...

I even saw places that I don't live in being colder than they should. Chicago, Cleveland, snow storm on April 17th. None of that is to day because it's cold somewhere, climate change isn't real, it's just that the "warming" I keep getting warned about doens't seem to have gotten the memo. And I just have a hard time comprehending how this is the warmest spring on record, when the places I see in the East are the coldest I can remember in some time. (I do understand the difference between climate and weather) the report I linked in the OP stating that this was the warmest spring on record was referring to climate based on the wording in the article. I didn't write it.
edit on 17-4-2018 by network dude because: bad sler

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

But March and April have been uncharacteristically cold.
A little early to be calling the results for April. But March, I guess. In a limited area. Overall, not so much.

During March, the average contiguous U.S. temperature was 42.6°F, 1.1°F above the 20th century average. This ranked near the median value in the 124-year period of record.

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

That's not what NOAA says.

The year-to-date (January-March) average contiguous U.S. temperature was 36.8°F, 1.6°F above average, ranking among the warmest third of the record. This was the coldest start to a year since 2014 for the nation.

Of course, that's for the contiguous US. The global figures will be released in a few days.
edit on 4/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

What I'd guess. Anyone talking about record heat isn't being honest.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Anyone talking about record heat isn't being honest.
Has someone been doing so? For the period being discussed?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I'm not making the claim, OP did. If it's being said it's stupid. I recall in February lots of news of record high and a warming world, and stupid comments on the news like 'winter, what winter?'

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I'm not making the claim, OP did. If it's being said it's stupid.

The OP is conflating a few places in the US with the average temperature of the entire planet. That is pretty stupid.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Anyone talking about record heat isn't being honest.
Has someone been doing so? For the period being discussed?

East Coast Shatters Temperature Records, Offering Preview to a Warming World

insideclimatenews.org...

Had to verify it was 2018, and it is. Again, I understand weather isn't climate, and what I refer to is weather, but it's cold weather. The kind you don't hear about when discussing climate change.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Weather != climate

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The OP is conflating a few places in the US with the entire planet. That is pretty stupid.

not reading or comprehending the OP is stupid. not a good look on someone who portrays himself as an intellectual.

Give it another shot, see if you can gain a few intelligence points.

link   

The kind you don't hear about when discussing climate change.

I hear about it all the time. From people like our president who seems to think that global warming means no place should ever be cold.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Weather != climate

stupid is as stupid does. read first, speak second.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The OP is conflating a few places in the US with the average temperature of the entire planet. That is pretty stupid.

Exactly. 3/4ths of the world is covered in water. Most of the hot spots also happen to be over the oceans. Looking at your local weather, deciding that it is cold out so climate change isn't real is a HUGE logical fallacy. My uncle tried this same crappy argument against me when I was at a party recently.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

No, I think the op is frustrated by the media doing that.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I did. Your first source is talking about local temperatures. Your second source is talking about the global average.

You have compared them as if they are comparable. They are not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join