It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

inconvienent facts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I am not here to be a "denier", or whatever other label needs to be attributed to me for voicing my opinion based on facts. I am just offering a perspective based on my reality. February was very warm. Unusually warm. But March and April have been uncharacteristically cold.
www.accuweather.com...

Yet, when I hear the news report on "weather", I hear this year has been the hottest on record yet again.
www.usatoday.com...

I understand that not everywhere is the same, but it sure seems that for shock value, all the cold areas are ignored, in favor of blasting the media with WARMING news. I feel like it's dishonest and not explaining the facts is misrepresenting the truth. Is there some prize for converting believers? is there a quota that needs to be met?

It's not hot everywhere, and we might all still survive the Apocalypse.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
One or two seasons are not a good basis for looking for trends. Years are needed.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Yeah , it is absolutely not normal to have 30 and 40 degree temps in Georgia in mid-April . It should be hanging at least in the upper 70s .
But , but , but...it is warmer in Africa . Or somewhere according to the "numbers".

edit on 4/17/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/17/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It seems the left changed its tune from global warming to 'climate change' once they were faced with cooling earth temps for the past 19 years...And yes, the climate is always changing, so that's a pretty safe bet. I blame the weirdness in weather on 2 things: geoengineering (chem trails are everywhere, everyday here in Southern Oregon), and the destruction of the vast majority of our planet's rain forests. If we were really serious about issues with climate and CO2, we'd start by replanting rain forests in Brazil and Africa, not by believing insane Al Gore and not by collecting carbon taxes.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
One or two seasons are not a good basis for looking for trends. Years are needed.

Yeah , they really need to go a lot further back than the 1920s . And publish REAL statistics...

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Remember its not global warming anymore they prefer climate change now

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Temperature swings are not uncommon. It's the overall effect that is most important.

Here in the UK many trees have only just began to sprout leaves, seems a little late but all in all in means little. Seems parts of the US have experienced cold snaps recently too.

Then again, if growth patterns are different and migratory life that eats seasonally and regionally are affected then it does mean something.

Usually the best indicator of a changing world is a... Changing world?

Extremes in weather are seemingly on the rise though and usually it's these extreme scenarios that have the most effect.

I've seen a lot of new species of life in the last 5 years that are not typically found in my location.

Stuff is changing. Overall the planet is getting warmer, it has a knock on effect. As I see it the pendulum is swinging faster so to speak.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Scamming the numbers. My grandfather sent a notebook to the weather service I think every month with his observations and he was one of tens of thousands to do it. Now the weather is taken from the roof of the high school in the middle of town but they use a correction factor. I call BS on it.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

and yet, it's the warmest on record, again. and the year just started. I guess it must be really hot everywhere else. Balmy weather up north I hear. sunshine and 80's in northern Maine.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Zoyd23

Destroying rainforests isn't necessarily the problem, it's the conversion of solid/liquid matter into gas that's the problem. These gases have properties vastly different than what they were when in another form.

Aka we burn too much crap.

Why believe in conspiracy theories when we have actual evidence of climate change via volcanoes or fossil fuels?

A volcanic eruption can devastate the biosphere and atmosphere, we've got plenty of evidence of this.

Constant human emissions, although not as disastrous as a volcano, are clearly going to effect the day to day activity of the planet.

But then it was never the loss of life and habitat that's scary, it's the rise of new ones that is and whether the existence we are used to will have a place in this "new world".

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Correct...around 4-500 years might work.. ten or twenty seasons are not a good basis either when the trend you are looking for swings over a millennia

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I am not here to be a "denier", or whatever other label needs to be attributed to me for voicing my opinion based on facts. I am just offering a perspective based on my reality. February was very warm. Unusually warm. But March and April have been uncharacteristically cold.
www.accuweather.com...

Yet, when I hear the news report on "weather", I hear this year has been the hottest on record yet again.
www.usatoday.com...

I understand that not everywhere is the same, but it sure seems that for shock value, all the cold areas are ignored, in favor of blasting the media with WARMING news. I feel like it's dishonest and not explaining the facts is misrepresenting the truth. Is there some prize for converting believers? is there a quota that needs to be met?

One is weather in one place. The other is global average.

You even even acknowledge this in your post.

No scientist or reputable commentator claims that global warming means its always hotter everywhere.

So what is it you expect exactly?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
We got over three feet of snow in the last few days. Where is this promised warming they keep talking about. I am out of room to plow, I need to take out the tractor with the eighty inch wide snowblower on it. It has actually been below average this winter here too, not as bad as it was back four and five years ago though. People are getting frozen waterlines yet, usually that is all over by now.

I wonder if we are spending too much money on the scientists investigating this. They are seeing funding, not solutions or what is really happening in the world. Quit throwing money at science to keep making up stuff and fix the problem

Cut air travel in half, there are way too many jets flying around and no trees up in the sky. Science invented these jets. Quit poluting the ocean with chemistry made by science. The Ocean and lakes are suffering from all sorts of unnatural and concentrated chemistry, science contributed to this mess, the research actually fueled the expansion. Corn gas is bad for the environment overall.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

www.accuweather.com...

www.usatoday.com...

No scientist or reputable commentator claims that global warming means its always hotter everywhere.

Part of the problem is that they've created this situation where the prediction is always right... it is quite comical to us common sense guys.

If it gets warmer, then it is climate change. If it gets colder, it is still climate change. If it rains more, it is climate change. If it is a drought, it is climate change.

No matter what the weather or climate does, we can always blame it on man made climate change and need to be taxed to oblivion.

Intuitively, we know weather men can't predict local weather worth a sh*t a few days out... yet, we are supposed to believe computer simulations for GLOBAL climate over decades. The models are consistently wrong and even when they go back and update them with actual weather that resulted, they are still wrong.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zoyd23

I so agree with you.

You can't preach about climate change being a problem when you are destroying large numbers of trees, removing sand from the oceans in massive amounts, and terra-forming the planet to accommodate asphalt and concrete under foot while covering acres with high rises.

We are lousy caretakers of the planet and are so selfish in our use of the planet that we are blind to our destructive habits.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

www.accuweather.com...

www.usatoday.com...

Part of the problem is that they've created this situation where the prediction is always right... it is quite comical to us common sense guys.

If it gets warmer, then it is climate change. If it gets colder, it is still climate change. If it rains more, it is climate change. If it is a drought, it is climate change.

No matter what the weather or climate does, we can always blame it on man made climate change and need to be taxed to oblivion.

Intuitively, we know weather men can't predict local weather worth a sh*t a few days out... yet, we are supposed to believe computer simulations for GLOBAL climate over decades. The models are consistently wrong and even when they go back and update them with actual weather that resulted, they are still wrong.

Only that isn't really true at all. The scientific evidence overwhelming supports that man is having an escalating effect on climate change.

The models are updated to make them more accurate, not to revisit previous predictions.

Is media reporting on climate change often misleading? Absolutely, by both 'sides'.

However that in no way detracts from the actual science, and a thread about how it's cold somewhere disproves climate change doesn't either.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

www.accuweather.com...

www.usatoday.com...

Only that isn't really true at all. The scientific evidence overwhelming supports that man is having an escalating effect on climate change.

The models are updated to make them more accurate, not to revisit previous predictions.

Is media reporting on climate change often misleading? Absolutely, by both 'sides'.

However that in no way detracts from the actual science, and a thread about how it's cold somewhere disproves climate change doesn't either.

Why would you not go back and test a model's outputs against actual results? That is how you narrow down what variables are correlated the most with the results.

For example, if a model says climate is going to increase by X this year. The year passes and the climate only changed by Y. You go back and figure out why the model's prediction was wrong against what actually occurred. You can also adjust the variables to see if you can make the model's prediction match to what occurred to see what variables were having the biggest impact and accuracy on the prediction.

The thing is when they go back and compare model's predictions to the actual results, they are wrong. Even when they update the models actual variables, the predictions are still wrong indicating scientist still don't really know what causes the changes.

Climate Models vs Climate Reality

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

www.accuweather.com...

www.usatoday.com...

Why would you not go back and test a model's outputs against actual results? That is how you narrow down what variables are correlated the most with the results.

For example, if a model says climate is going to increase by X this year. The year passes and the climate only changed by Y. You go back and figure out why the model's prediction was wrong against what actually occurred. You can also adjust the variables to see if you can make the model's prediction match to what occurred to see what variables were having the biggest impact and accuracy on the prediction.

The thing is when they go back and compare model's predictions to the actual results, they are wrong. Even when they update the models actual variables, the predictions are still wrong indicating scientist still don't really know what causes the changes.

Your link disputes the rate that climate is changing, not the fact it is.

It certainly doesn't go ' its snowing outside therefore science is wrong' .

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

www.accuweather.com...

www.usatoday.com...

We tend to base our observation on where we live... We forget media reports and statistics are often compiled elsewhere.. and mistakenly forget that...

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

www.accuweather.com...

www.usatoday.com...

Your link disputes the rate that climate is changing, not the fact it is.

It certainly doesn't go ' its snowing outside therefore science is wrong' .

No sh*t Sherlock. No one has ever disputed that climate changes. It has been changing since the beginning. The entire point of climate models is to tell us what and how much it is changing and they have been woefully wrong at doing it That is the point of the link. It shows the climate model predictions versus what actually occurred.

The models are off somewhere resulting in a very large gap between the predictions and reality with a bias towards warming.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join