It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US senators introduce new war authorization with no expiration date

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Term limits

Currently not in the potus vocabulary if this becomes a new law.

I mean who needs laws that confine such great wisdom being exposed from the highest levels.

As the furry texan stated legal yet not the will of the people...

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Is it their right? Yes.

Is it representing the will of their constituents? I don't think so.

At least it would all be 'legal' for a change.

Not that war crimes have ever been illegal here.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Reading through it doesn't appear to not change much. The war powers act all ready gives these rights to the president. What this does is clarify that terrorist organizations can be treated the same as a state actor. The war powers act is used to attack countries this bill will allow it attack individual groups instead of the country they reside in. If anything this is a major plus means to stamp out terrorists you don't have to invade the country they are in.
edit on 4/17/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
someone is either lying or they didn't read more in detail about this proposal because it actually does the complete opposite of giving the president more power and making the "war" indefinite or whatever.

here's some extra detail from this senators website that seems to have been ignored:

“For as long as I have helped lead the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, beginning as ranking member in 2013, we have been engaged in a discussion over the 2001 AUMF, which provides the legal authority necessary to fight terror abroad,” said Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. “There have been a number of efforts over the years to update these authorities, and while there is still work ahead, I am pleased that we have reached an agreement on a product for the committee to consider and that I hope will ultimately strike an appropriate balance of ensuring the administration has the flexibility necessary to win this fight while strengthening the rightful and necessary role of Congress. I thank my colleagues for their leadership on this important issue and look forward to a healthy debate and amendment process in our committee next week.”

“For too long, Congress has given Presidents a blank check to wage war. We’ve let the 9/11 and Iraq War authorizations get stretched to justify wars against multiple terrorist groups in over a dozen countries, from Niger to the Philippines. Our proposal finally repeals those authorizations and makes Congress do its job by weighing in on where, when, and with who we are at war,” said Kaine, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations and Armed Services Committees. “This is personal to me as the father of a Marine and someone who represents a state so closely connected to the military. Congress has painstakingly avoided this debate for years because war votes aren’t easy. But if we’re going to ask our troops to risk their lives in support of a mission, then we need to at least have the courage to show we are behind them.”

www.corker.senate.gov...

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Who cares! The people in power are just going to do whatever they want regardless of the law.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I wonder what the voting split between democrats and republicans??

Oh I bet we already know..

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: Lab4Us
Until the American people absolutely DEMAND term limits, the will of constituents will never be considered in Congressional decisions. On ALL sides and the middle.

“If I keep changing brands of cigarette, maybe I won’t get cancer”

Term limits won’t do much; the environment of corruption and cronyism is such that it is the very grease in the machine that is our federal government. They might be a star to stymying the lifelong political partnerships, but they won’t tackle the other factors(lobbyists, basic human greed... etc)

Absolutely no way of knowing that until it’s tried. Your predicting an outcome based on assumptions. 4 years house, 8 years senate. And to further the will of the people, more than 80-90 million people need to vote...since it’s a country with a 320 million+ populace.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

Until the American people absolutely DEMAND term limits, the will of constituents will never be considered in Congressional decisions. On ALL sides and the middle.

“If I keep changing brands of cigarette, maybe I won’t get cancer”

Term limits won’t do much; the environment of corruption and cronyism is such that it is the very grease in the machine that is our federal government. They might be a star to stymying the lifelong political partnerships, but they won’t tackle the other factors(lobbyists, basic human greed... etc)

Absolutely no way of knowing that until it’s tried. Your predicting an outcome based on assumptions. 4 years house, 8 years senate. And to further the will of the people, more than 80-90 million people need to vote...since it’s a country with a 320 million+ populace.

There’s no way of knowing if Yellowstone will erupt tomorrow, but going on odds...

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be done, but that it’s a small part of a vast problem with multiple contributors, and is thus, a band-aid on a broken leg. Sweeping reforms are what’s needed, not half-cocked measures like we are often promised and so seldom see implemented.

And let’s be honest, as informed as those who do vote currently are, what good is getting the rest of them to vote too?
edit on 4/17/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well I guess they can now have legal precedent for these forever wars.

17 years of wars and secret wars through three administrations they might as well make it official by inking it on some paper.

" War is peace, freedom is slavery, Ignorance is strength." 1984

edit on 17-4-2018 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Just a thought. If countries aroind the world would stomp out terrorism (or try to, like the FBI does in the US), there would be many less targets of opportunity around the world for the globalist war hawks operating from the US.

The problem is who defines "terrorism"? There are a lot of countries like Ethiopia, Cameroon, & Turkey that have labeled opposition journalists as "terrorists" and have imprisoned them for negative coverage. And in some countries like Thailand and Saudi Arabia, it's already a crime to insult their royals. So all they'd have to do is label it "domestic terrorism" to fit into this scheme.

ETA: There's also the issue of national sovereignty. If the US decides that something or someone is a "terrorist" but the host country disagrees, what gives the US the right to unilaterally attack that person or group that it has designated a terrorist? And what stops other countries from adopting similar unilateral policies?
edit on 17-4-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Yeah it was taking For. Freaking. Ever..just to get war actions before. This should fix that HUGE problem we had responding in time without the time consuming checks and balances of our government

Phew! Disaster averted.

EDIT TO ADD:
Now we can strap go pro cams on the bombs for those spur of the moment news cycles about the next barbaric tendency random military action internationally.

News teams have to move faster in the future in order to keep televising instant war actions as they are announced and then immediately carried out, like is the norm now. Wait.

edit on 4 17 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
In the news they have been calling Any one who kills more
thank one person a terrorist & weapons of mass destruction.

So they can get ever one...
so much for trump being a new hope!
hes just a Fat white obama.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

How about a live website dedicated strictly to those go pro munitions cams.

We could just attach a rider to this bill that makes it a law that anytime a weapon is fired at real time targets then it has to be fed to the new site. We could also add a measure to forgo any war crime charges in favor of financial monetary gain for the services. In other words if your gonna kill innocent people then do it in a manner that makes money on the website so that along with the new internet tax we can keep the war machine fed well.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Yeah, lord knows there is no other way. There is NO living without constant war to feed a top heavy, tech oriented industry that dangerously employs way too large of a sector of society.

But hey, if one day everyone is just a federal employee we wont need money internally. We can use a credit based system where you are given points for productivity and good thoughts.

You can punish people for breathing too heavily and so producing a larger carbon footprint by taking away said points. You can take away enough points so they then cant buy food outside of just producing more for the state to make up for their debt to society. And the government.

People with bad thoughts and that do things outside of production can be punished by taking away their points and making them live in debt.

It will be great. Now everyone back to work! Lets make some more HD bombs for the good of society and all loving goodness everywhere!!

edit on 4 18 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join