It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North and South Korea reportedly set to announce official end to war

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
sounds like great news but why does the cynical sceptic in me worry about a united korea and aspirations of greatness in the region?

Because it was the basis for a video game.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
sounds like great news but why does the cynical sceptic in me worry about a united korea and aspirations of greatness in the region?

Because it was the basis for a video game.

and a really bad remake of Red Dawn.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Why did they decide to sit down and talk now, and why would it might actually come to fruition now, as opposed to the last few years and decades? What changed?

I'd say it's because Baby Kim can now reach the U.S. Going to war and breaking #, then charging the owners of said # to fix it again is a great business model.
Except when they can break our #. That's when # gets serious.

That doesn't jive with his past behavior and rhetoric. Seems like if he had that advantage he'd be pressing it for a larger piece of the Korean pie, or sanctions being lifted etc. Only reason I say that is because from what I've read, his ability to hit the US was speculation.

Well nobody said that the Cheeto-in-Chief was actually brave. There's a lot of extrapolation going on in this thread that ignores the realities. If it is true that there will be a cessation of the state of war, it doesn't follow that reunification is around the corner. Look at the Germanys. What it would mean is that a certain normalisation could occur. That's a good thing, and if embargoes were dropped, the military budget was lessened...we're all ahead. If Trump is to thank...great!

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Wow, I am glad I get to live to see this event.

Freaking A , Colin. Freaking A

Side thought: Our military planners must be losing their minds between everything going on.

edit on 4 17 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Anyone have any information on the supposed collapse of NK's nuclear testing site and the start of these peace talks? Is it possible the cause is do to NK losing its nuclear capability?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
Anyone have any information on the supposed collapse of NK's nuclear testing site and the start of these peace talks? Is it possible the cause is do to NK losing its nuclear capability?
Whatever works.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
Whatever works.

I suppose we could all do with a little peace. It's too bad that we don't trust it.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'm not tired of winning yet...are you?

Seriously, though, this is GREAT news and a huge positive milestone for the world.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Put another way, there is the way we think about these things this side of the ocean (UK, Europe and so on, where the paradigm originated), and the wrong way, and only those two options.

I hesitate to ask, but the temptation is just too great.

How do you explain the "Australian Liberal Party"?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

This vid demonstrates the ironic and cyclical nature of art itself. In my mind, it takes away ownership of the "counterculture" label from "liberal"-based artists, who now represent the mainstream.
edit on 17-4-2018 by FlyingFox because: circleofpoo

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Here's my bet:

NK will hash out concessions between it & SK, back out of it's end after they get what they want, and go back to the status quo.

How are people not seeing through this? It's fairly transparent, this is not the first peace carrot they've dangled.

I'll believe the war ends when it actually happens. Until then, I'll continue to expect the duplicity they operate by.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: cenpuppie

Because they dont like it when Trump is successful. In case you missed it the left was going nuts on Trump for his stance on N. Korea, claiming it would start a new war.

your insanity is affecting your judgement man.

3) Trump had absolutely nothing to do with this. it was both the koreas that decided to sit down and talk. but please take all the credit if you want, i know it helps you folks sleep at night.

Your statement is false.

I may not care for trump, BUT, he is precisely why Kim is shaking in his boots, and making this move. He is well aware he is next on the Trumps hit list. Wise move on his part. He knows that Trump is not a weak spined lilly livered coward like the feminine obama

Just curious, do you give credit to Obama for killing Bin Laden while he was president?

Yeah, and it only cost us 8 trillion dollars

edit on 17-4-2018 by visitedbythem because: Of progressive fools

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
So, who is off the Trump train again? Calling him a war monger and so forth? He just brokered the biggest Cease-Fire of most of our lifetimes, but I bet he won't get credit for it. We don't want you back, BTW.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

which video game is that, sorry i don't play video games. i have said it for a long time, a united korea will be an economic and a political force to be reckoned with. same could be said for iran and cuba if they ever embrace democracy.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGOAT

if he did indeed broker the peace deal i will say kudos, i wish the right could have been as appreciative as i was when obama extended a peace branch to iran and cuba, obama did a lot of things i was not happy with but i was happy with him trying to bring iran and cuba in to the modern world.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

CURSE YOU TRUMP!

How could you get peace between them?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

One step at a time. Assuming that this isn't all moonbeams and fairie dust.

The only thing that will free North Korea is reunification, mho of course, with the south and the peaceful removal of the Kim Dynasty. A peaceful removal will mean that their "God-king" left willingly, and that it's OK. If it's done through more violent means, he's going to be a martyr to many of them--which, of course, presents a host of other problems.

I'll believe it when I see it, but it's a hopeful sign. How many of us ever thought we'd see the end of the Berlin wall?

Very Good Posts. Yes that is the trick. Get him to willing give up power and to integrate the Avg NK to the modern world and freedoms. Without the PTB on either side disrupting it.

......That and doing this all playing nice with China the whole time.

It's not a walk in the park,
But we are walking in the right direction.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I don't trust North Korean.

I can see a case for once the DMZ is demined and the war is over the north waiting for a few years till the US troops are gone then attacking South Korean with a massive attack.

This just reminds me of all the treaties and other agreements just before WW2 with the Germans and Russia.
The germans signing a non-aggression treaty with the USSR then attacked Russia

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

CURSE YOU TRUMP!

How could you get peace between them?

How come? When did he achieved that? As far as i can tell from all i can find he pretty much didn't do anything, why are you giving him credit for things those guys are solving between them?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

What would we, we as in the West, be willing to do to get the Kimster to peacefully give up power? In other words, what bribe might we be willing to pay?

Is there even a remote chance of him being willing to do something of that nature?

I wonder...

With him, and his cronies, out of the picture, the way towards peaceful reintegration of the two Koreas would be, imho, wide open.

His own island in the south Pacific? A sort of St. Helena?

I'm sure there are all kinds of issues with this...but it's a interesting notion.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join