It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to the left?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
The "right" only cares about one amendment.

Ladies and gentlemen of the court, I submit this false narrative for your review.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Ok. Can you post proof of that intent?

All I did was comment on how you post was disingenuous because the same criteria could be said about the Right.

Of course I cannot show you proof of your intent, just as you cannot prove I am being disingenuous.

I'll just have to ask you. In a thread about "the left", what was your intent regarding your "I know you are but what am I comment" about the right?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Ok. Can you post proof of that intent?

That post, from you, has made my year so far!!!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
I feel sorry for the US tbh,

Thanks! I feel sorry for England, truth be told. You guys have dug yourselves into a massive hole and I hope you manage to climb out. Here's hoping Brexit is a first step to that

Oh, and about the guns? I was referring to those liberal bastions of cities and suburbs with draconian guns laws. Here in the land known as 'flyover country' we know how to be responsible with our firearms.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
there were no freedoms for slaves

This is the point. A leftist thinks a slave is free. Free from making the wrong decisions. Free from the worry of providing for themselves and their families. The very fact you claim slaves are not free means you embrace the non-left view of freedom.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
There is no 'left' in American politics.

its adorable to see americans claim the democrats, a center right party on the political spectrum, as left.
it's like saying mussolini was left of hitler.

what is worrying is that being polite, rational and to be able embrace technology and culture is being classed as left.
on a global scale.

americans minds would be blown if they bothered to look at actual left wing policies.
corbyn, mcdonnell even old tony benn would be classed as heretic pinko commies.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Of course I cannot show you proof of your intent, just as you cannot prove I am being disingenuous.

I would say your disingenuous nature can be proven in many of your posts and especially the threads you create.

I'll just have to ask you. In a thread about "the left", what was your intent regarding your "I know you are but what am I comment" about the right?

That is not what I said and this is more proof of your dishonest nature. I said the premise of the specific post could be applied to "the Right" as well, but that was not where the bigger problem lied.

I did not use that post to say "I know you are but what am I". I used it to show that the problem is one of honesty, not sides.

Perhaps you missed that particular bit of context. Or perhaps you are disingenuous and want to argue about "sides".
edit on 17-4-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Thanks! I feel sorry for England, truth be told. You guys have dug yourselves into a massive hole and I hope you manage to climb out. 

How come?

Brexit will have no effect on gun laws, it might on the mentally ill (rights) but chances are they won't be getting a gun anyways.

We have guns you just need a licence.

Oh, and about the guns? I was referring to those liberal bastions of cities and suburbs with draconian guns laws. Here in the land known as 'flyover country' we know how to be responsible with our firearms.

My point wasn't about firearm safety it was about the type of people that generally kill and the reasons why.

Doesn't matter if your guns are kept in Fort Knox and only work via fingerprint identification...

When you've snapped and wanna shoot up your neighbour for blasting music at 2am it's time to go get ya gun.

I mean honestly, what do you think career criminals do?

Go around shooting everybody?

A shotgun is just as scary as a semi-automatic pistol. Most criminals don't shoot who they rob, most drug dealers won't shoot who owes them money and most murders are done by people who are not career criminals.

It's a bit of a career killer.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
a reply to: Dfairlite

3. There was an assault weapons ban from 1994 till 2004. Not a new concept.

So the liberals did it in 1994 so all good, nothing new now...lol BTW there is a huge difference between this and semiautomatic weapons...

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
Trump will go down as the most corrupt person to ever grace the White House.

About time to trade in those tired shades comrade...

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You have never heard of a conservative filing an action to prevent the free expression of faith? Really? How about civil actions against the construction of mosques? I KNOW there have been plenty of those incidents up and down the United States, and not a single one of those, I am willing to bet you five pounds sterling, was initiated by a lefty.

To be entirely honest, I didn't consider the mosques in regards to civil actions taken. You are right that those are most likely done by the right. However, it is more involved than when dealing with Christianity. There are many who believe the doctrines of islam are intentionally designed to encourage what can be seen as invasion and ultimately overtaking real estate by choking out other religions. As people of other denominations leave for greener pastures their churches are left with smaller and smaller congregations until the church is no longer financially viable. I have been watching this happen in my little village for the last few years. It is real.

The words "In God We Trust" do not stop people from engaging with a structure. It doesn't stop people from using currency. It doesn't stop people from doing anything except insisting that no one else be allowed to express that belief when and where they choose. The word God should mean nothing to an atheist. The separation of church and state should extend no further than ensuring that no government mandates or precludes worship in any way. Having the words on a building does not force anyone to alter their beliefs. The reason I defend this so much is that originally it began as people complaining about nativity scenes on government property. That rapidly escalated to law enforcement being called in for nativity scenes on private property. The inch became a mile in no time at all. We can't call it Christmas any more. How long before the lights have to come down? There is a real issue of the separation of church and state and there is the fabricated "everybody look at me for the next fifteen minutes" kind. I have no patience with the latter.

If they do not vote DNC, their other option is to vote for the very people who refuse to banish frackers from cracking open shale, the people who deny that climate change is even a thing, leave alone that it is at least partially caused by mankinds activity, people who own shares in enormous MIC companies, the private prison complex and the intelligence industry...

Yes, that is the other option and it is the better of the two IMO. Any viable source of oil is a good one at this point. Shale is as good as any. Companies are spending a whole lot of money designing pilot plants meant to get as much value from the sludge at the bottom of the barrel as possible. The reason is that sludge represents the greatest portion of fossil fuels left. What used to be discarded is now the fastest growing segment of the industry even outpacing biofuels.

When is the climate not changing? No doubt that mankind has had an influence on it but what we are witnessing is not new. It has happened before, long before mankind had so much influence on nature.

I own stock in some big companies, I hate the prison system, and I think both sides are equally guilty on the intelligence industry.

As much as I hate the right sometimes I just cant make myself consider the left as an option. Declaring a sanctuary state, and sanctuary cities within that state, inviting in millions of illegals they cant feed, clothe, or shelter, then send up a red flare and hope someone else takes care of it. If I invite fifty people over for dinner and I only have enough food for five, do I have a right to expect someone else to feed them when they get mad and scuffles break out?

And after all that, they want to take away my right to protect myself, my family and my home, because "I" am a danger to the community...

I just don't get it.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: rexsblues

originally posted by: LordAhriman
The "right" only cares about one amendment.

Because it's the last line of defense for all the others.

I frequently see some of he most unhinged authoritarian sentiments expressed by right-wingers on ATS. In the last couple days I've seen people talk about running down protestors in the streets, how left-wing protests should be shutdown by the government, various journalists should be arrested for being critical of Trump and how they believe there should be a purge of the IC with "traitors" put in front of a firing squad.

What I almost never see anymore is those peoples' peers calling them out.

So you'll have to forgive me if I don't count too much on armed right-wingers defending my liberties against #.

Not sure what the first part of your rant had to do with my statement, but you're known for your hysteria.

You shouldn't count on my defense at all. I don't give a damn about your liberty if you don't care about it yourself. I'll defend mine and my own and do my best to help others doing the same.

'Beggars can't be choosers' will prove true enough one day... enjoy waiting in line with your hands out, as I walk right on by.
edit on 17-4-2018 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The truth isn't slander (nor libel). It's funny to watch you project your "nuance" argument as you try to distinguish between libel and slander. Let me help you out, libel is written, slander is spoken, but they're both defamation (That should have been the original word used if you were wanting to correct me). So as it relates to the hannity's and maddow's of the world it would be slander. Next time you try to correct someone you really should make sure you have a grasp on why you're correcting them.

I'll say it one more time, my correcting your statement, that trump wants to jail journalists, is not nuance. It's a correction. A nuance would be saying he wants to jail journalists who chronicle global warming. A correction is that he wants to jail people who slander then pretend to be "journalists" to avoid the consequences of their actions. A journalist can chronicle or report on global warming in the line of their work, a journalist cannot chronicle or report lies they make up or know to be untrue in the line of their work, as that is not journalism.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

If you are more concerned with the importance of finding oil than you are with the importance of weaning your nation completely off the stuff within the next fifty to one hundred years, then you are contributing to the death of the species of which you are a part.

You see, many people, people who have literally no ability to look forward I might add, believe that the reason that people are so upset by fossil fuel use, is that they are simply heartbroken at how bad the parts of the world they occupy look, or smell, or some such rubbish. I will grant you, there are an awful lot of kale munching weirdos out there, bashing on about the planet and the ecosystem, the whales, the bears, the bees, and many of them only barely understand the reason that any of these things is REALLY important, from a selfish point of view. Their concern is based on the idea of the eventual extinction of all life, and this planet arriving at a state in which nothing can live, an unpretty, unpleasant state.

My concern is practical. If whales, bears, and bees cannot live in this world, then neither can I, neither can my son, neither can the children that he may or may not decide to bring into the world with whomever he ends up with in the future, and neither can their children. This species, currently relies upon the natural bounty offered us by the planet, in order to provide food, weather we can live through, air we can breathe, water we can actually drink.

But between nuclear fuel waste, and fossil fuel burning, spills, the toxic runoff from the production of most burnable fuels in fact, the entire biome of this planet is under threat. We need to leave the forests where they stand, we need to leave the oil in the Earth, the gas too, and work out ways to burn NONE of it over time, not find ways to continue as normal. And there are political advantages to using no resource other than that which cannot run out or be burned. If we never have to purchase fuel, because we rely on the abundance of totally renewable power sources around us, then no matter whether a given nations reserves of oil run out, that nation will never need to go to war to secure other resources, or indeed be put over a barrel by a nation or group thereof who DOES possess some oil.

And more importantly than that, using a distributed system of power production, homes and businesses producing their own power from solar, from wind and any access to hydroelectricity they might have, means that individuals do not end up having to pay extortionate rates per unit of burned fuel in their homes, to some huge corporation which uses the money they gain from extorting the public, to purchase favour in senate, congress, or parliament, such as is appropriate to the nation concerned.

In short, burning a finite resource in order to produce our power, rather than accessing functionally infinite resources to do the same work, is, no matter how you look at it, BLOODY STUPID IN THE EXTREME, and THAT is why the practice of burning fuel for power should be thrown on the trash heap.

Now, as for the politics themselves, its lefties who secured rights for ALL, not just those who could afford to purchase them, and not just those of a particular skin tone. Its lefties who forced governments in the past to educate ALL children, not just those who could afford it. Its lefties who are trying to keep nations from going to war over nothing, just to fluff the pockets and the egos of those who own the materials which are used to enact those wars, and sell them to all parties involved for stonking huge profits. I could go on, but frankly speaking, it is not my job, and I have one to do, so I will have to leave this post as it is.
edit on 18-4-2018 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I agree with you entirely.

But I also have to be realistic and admit that until we have replacements for fossil fuels that meet the needs and expectations of the population we have no choice but to continue using them. Which means, at least for now, we have to find ways to get more value from sludge we used to throw away amidst the decline of light sweet crude that was once so abundant. All the fuel alternatives you mentioned are good and I am all for them but we could not rely solely on those today. Perhaps some day, but not today. That does not mean we must act in disregard for the ecosystem.

If the energy system and infrastructure of planet Earth were damaged somehow the short term affect would be chaotic. We would survive, but the short term would be disastrous. We have lived without fossil fuels and electricity before and if necessary we can do it again. The six months of transition will be painful but most of us will survive. Life will go on and people will still be happy. In a subjective wellness study it was determined that people living in suburban areas in the US were no happier on a subjective wellness scale than people living in grass huts on the other side of the Earth. Their lives were different in every respect but their overall enjoyment of their lives was similar. We will survive.

It is the nature of man to find ways to corrupt paradise. We seek out the most beautiful places on Earth and build enormous hotels on them. Then we bury the surrounding areas under layers of asphalt to make commuting to paradise easier. We fill the skies with jets lugging litterbugs and consumers to and fro all day long. And when paradise loses its appeal we sell discount tickets to people who would otherwise never see paradise (and still won't) so we can look for a new paradise to sully for the rich and powerful. Somewhere I have a picture I took in Hawaii. It is the most beautiful scene. The grass waving in the breeze, the rocks near the water, the ocean waves crashing on the shore, and an empty case of Michelob perched dramatically on the peak of a rock outcropping. I wanted to put up a sign that said "America was here."

As for the politics, we could spend all day singing the praises of both parties for their accomplishments for they are many, or we could sling the mud of anger and hatred for their failures for they are many. In the end, what matters to me and I suspect to most people is what is the right and the left doing today? Today I see the left making some huge mistakes. Not that the right is perfect. Lets end that here and now. But it is my honest opinion that the left is really doing some serious damage to this nation as we speak. The problem is that what conservatives see as damage liberals see as progress and vice versa. It doesn't matter what we say about it. History will decide what was right and wrong. If they ever see the truth that is. The left have a habit of rewriting history to be more flattering than it really is. (that last dig was perhaps uncalled for but I have to admit I enjoyed it a bit...)

Despite some difference of opinion I do respect yours and the manner in which you convey it.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

The American Left actually advocates for what they believe is "fair speech"... with them deciding what is "fair". The same goes for monetary policy. To the "Left" it is "fair " to raise taxes on everybody to accomodate their " fair " immigration policies.
edit on 20-4-2018 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4   >>

join