It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to the left?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Slander isn't journalism.

NIIIIICE rationalizing your takedown of the 1st Amendment. I was being facetious but you stepped up to the plate and showed you really DON'T respect the 1st.

Does tye first amendment protect against civil damages for slander?

Dies Trump really want to jail journalists? What steps has he taken to try?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

NIIIIICE rationalizing your takedown of the 1st Amendment. I was being facetious but you stepped up to the plate and showed you really DON'T respect the 1st.

Do you not know what the word "facetious" means? Why aren't you calling out the OP for his idiotic generalizations? He was clearly being serious, but instead you call out me (who admitted he wasn't being serious).
edit on 17-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

In the 1950's and 60's there were protests and marches to end segregation and for more freedoms.

Now?

There are marches and protests for less freedoms, tearing down statues and for segregation.

Cultural Marxism, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

You think slander is journalism? Or you think that slander is protected under the first amendment? (Hint: you're wrong on both accounts)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Just stop. Labeling the news "slander" because you don't like what they are reporting doesn't redeem you from wanting to jail reporters. Now I know you don't respect the 1st. Which is funny given this idiotic thread you just wrote. Way to show your own hypocrisy.
edit on 17-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Yes, generalizations are used to describe groups of people with similar motives and agenda's. Not all of them will fit the mold 100%, nor is it expected by any rational mind that they would. But true to form, rather than try to understand the point you've chosen to obfuscate and disregard based on what you claim is over generalization. A more productive mode of argument (which you're likely uninterested in) would be to ask for clarification of what is meant by 'the left'.

No, generalisations are IMPROPERLY used to describe groups of people, regardless of their motives or agendas. That is how you have been using them in your post, without any regard for the nuance and sophistication I mentioned earlier, these both being absolutely necessary to forming an understanding of the topic complete enough, that your commentary on the matter can be said to be of worth or note. More specifically, your generalisations about the left are inaccurate, because you have based them on a sample which has nothing to do with the left, and everything to do with financially motivated, morally defunct degenerates from the elite class, nothing to do with what the majority of left leaning people in either your own country, nor the world, actually believe. I am right to call you on it, and I will continue to do so, if you insist on keeping it up.

As for what you mean by the left... Its largely immaterial what answer you would give to that question if flat out asked, because you have proven by your statements thus far, that any answer you could give to that question would be entirely incorrect. This is yet another problem which surrounds the fact that while you are welcome to your own opinion, you are not welcome to your own reality.

I meant to respond to every paragraph, but so far, you've simply furthered the above fallacy, changing and shifting what a lefty is to fit your argument. If you were being honest you would, at very least, infer a single definition of a lefty which you thought I was referring to and stick to that, but that doesn't work for your tired arguments.

Ok, you want a definition from me, of the sort of people I thought you were referring to... That is your job to provide, with specifics, name some names and all that. Again, I await your response with bated breath.

By the end it seems you have settled on a definition and it's quite obvious that you knew who and what I was referring to, but rather than accept that, you wanted to rail on over generalization and get as deep into the no true scotsman fallacy as you could. Good luck with that.

I had to settle on a definition? Don't be obtuse sir. I AM the left, part of the greater whole, I do not need to define it, except by standing up for the principles I hold dear and promoting them wherever I happen to be. But you ABSOLUTELY need to explain, clearly, without query or room for wiggle, exactly who you were talking about in your OP.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Sorry, you don't get to put words in my mouth. Even though I destroyed your gotcha moment.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I didn't put any words in your mouth. You rationalized jailing journalists all on your own.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

This is a really good point which bears repeating! People should sit down an actually think about this...honestly.

In the 1950's and 60's there were protests and marches to end segregation and for more freedoms.

Now?

There are marches and protests for less freedoms, tearing down statues and for segregation.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Now wait a minute you just said I couldn't generalize the left then you came out and said you're part of the left in a very general sense. There's no point arguing with this kind of lunacy.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

If they slander people. It's the law, not a rationalization.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

TB, once again I must note...the definition of "left" in the UK is different from the definition of "left" in the US.

It seems to me like the left you often defend is the former, not the latter. I'm honestly not sure the two are comparable. I think they have some similarities, but they are not identical.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Yes, I did.

Do you see how utterly ridiculous it makes communication?

Yes? Good.

DON'T BLOODY WELL DO IT IN YOUR OP THEN!

edit on 17-4-2018 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Uh huh. Whatever you say. Though I think it is funny that you are attempting to use nuance to defend wanting to inhibit the 1st, but you make LARGE generalizations about the left trying to inhibit amendments and argue down any nuance in this very thread. Like I said, you are a hypocrite. Enjoy your low hanging fruit thread. I'm sure the usual neanderthals will be along shortly to S&F it forever without critically analyzing the intellectually devoid substance of it just because you bat for the same political team.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

FCD, the definitions are not different in the US to the UK.

One of the definitions is accurate, and the other is not, just like Aluminium has only ever been spelt correctly with two i's, and the word honour requires the deployment of the letter U. Just because you are the other side of an ocean does not change the facts, but apparently it changes ones ability to realise them.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

This deserved its own post:

Oh no... No the only thing that Trump has done for us, the left, is removed the legitimacy that any and all right wing pundits, mouthpieces and supporters have, when they claim the moral high ground, or the right to converse in a dignified manner on the issues of the day. You see, voting for an amoral, rude, pig ignorant, obnoxious piece of crap, means that when faced with correspondence that one does not like the tone of, you just have to put up with it. You gave up your right to proper discourse, when you elected a man incapable of actually engaging with it, to the highest office in your country. You reap what you sow sir.

The only people I see using such language and making themselves into those bolded adjectives, are democrats and leftists like yourselves. I'd also like to note that you are proving point one about my post. See, you're more like the democrats than you'd like to admit, aren't you.

Either you are blind or dishonest.

We have heard similar, if not worse, things about Obama, Pelosi, Clinton, etc, for many years.

I'd say most likely you are being dishonest. That seems to be the going trend on ATS these days.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I have no problem with generalizations. But you're a hypocrite. That's all I was saying.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
You forgot to mention the left wing ANTIFA thugs actually using violence to shut down speech they don't like and getting covered by the left wing media.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Either you are blind or dishonest.

We have heard similar, if not worse, things about Obama, Pelosi, Clinton, etc, for many years.

I'd say most likely you are being dishonest. That seems to be the going trend on ATS these days.

You're being dishonest about the difference in the reach of these claims. On the right you have one network and some AM radio. On the left you have the power of Hollywood, the MSM and even tax payer funded radio.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Do you not know what the word "facetious" means? Why aren't you calling out the OP for his idiotic generalizations? He was clearly being serious, but instead you call out me (who admitted he wasn't being serious).

Im sorry i didnt adequately signal my virtue for you.

I responded to the first sentence in your post.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join