It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any one with sleep apnea.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Hey all. Today i found out i have a moderate case of obstructive sleep apnea. So my question is how much of a pain is it dealing with a cpap machine? Did it take long to get used to?

I'm not crazy about wearing a mask at night even though my doctor said they've come a long way. I was worried I'd be wearing the equivalent of a fighter pilot mask.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea many years ago. It was just the medicines I was severely intolerant to. The wife had it too, but alterations in diet took care of that. It somehow came from a junkfood she was eating, it is hard to track down something like that though.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago. I have had a cpap machine for many years and I have tried just about every accessory on the market to make the cpap "more comfortable". So far nothing works for me. My main problem is that I'm also claustrophobic so wearing anything over my face is tough.

I have to say though that when I can tolerate the machine my sleep is much longer and better.
edit on 4/17/2018 by mikelkhall because: replace "I have to so" with "I have to say"

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
You might want to try those breath rite strips on you nose to help breathing through your nose first. Use those for a bit and train yourself to breath only through your nose. Those may be enough, maybe not.

There is another conceptual product that you fit in your mouth that when you close your teeth around it it slightly moves your jaw forward removing some of the restrictions in your throat if you want to breath through your mouth at night.

The machines they have now are small and quiet. Masks are light and fit the head easily and some have little cushions about the size of a clowns red nose. These allow you to wear glasses to read if you wish and if you want drink but why do that when you can just take if off, drink and then put it back on again.

I used to fall asleep at work and cut my commute in half to stop for a snooze on my way home. It took me only about two weeks to take to it.

i have found that people are either for or against them depending on how much they are willing to give it a chance. I did and it saved my job and most likely my life.
edit on 30America/ChicagoTue, 17 Apr 2018 01:47:04 -0500Tue, 17 Apr 2018 01:47:04 -050018042018-04-17T01:47:04-05:00100000047 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:05 AM
link   
My wife has a CPAP and even though it has been many years since she had a spell , she REFUSES to sleep without it today.
When she first put it on ? "I will never be able to sleep with this on" . 10 minutes later , a deep slumber.Hasnt looked back since.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Put pillow lower on the base of your neck if you sleep on your back.
Otherwise roll on your side.
Snoring is an evolutionary disadvantage.
It attracts predators.
edit on 17-4-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Bwahhh well no crap lol
I am not sure if I actually have that because I have only seen a doctor one time in the past like 8 years I believe. I don’t like em damnit. I do use a nasal rinse 3 times a week and eat as healthy as I can without substitute for meat. Zero fast food and almost no soda. I get horrible sleep but I still feel healthy and have enough energy to get things done. Except when I was on a antibiotics. F those things man, they suck and make you feel sick. It was horrible.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I have tried the strips they help my snoring somewhat but i still get smacked in the middle of the night.

I also tried the mouth gaurd thing. My issue is i have a horrible gag reflex. I even tried these things that you put into your nostrils. They worked the best but didn't like to stay in.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: mikelkhall

My doctor said she has another patient who complains about "that damn machine" but he said he now can't sleep without it because of the difference it has made.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thats the one point she made was my caffeine intake and eating healthier. I am a smoker but only about a half pack a day which is much better than my peak which was 2 packs a day (not proud of that one) she daid the smoking can potentially affect it but she wants me to tackle one thing at a time.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Who needs to sleep right?

Holy cow, i am tired, seriously considering to go to the store to grab "a pack of smokes".

-Never heard from again-

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I have worked with hundreds of patients with sleep apnea, of varying degrees, but everyone that allowed themselves to become comfortable with the device, all said that it was a life changer.

I have seen the results first hand, and almost all said that they wish they had done it much sooner.

The most common results is feeling more energetic and a great decrease in fatigue.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

My friend has used one for as long as I can remember and he like anything you get use to it...hopefully your wakeup will be a gazillion times more refreshing. My wife is currently getting checked out for one. Apparently Asian people have smaller wind pipes than other races...go figure..

I know when my friend lost weight he did not rely on the machine but when he put the weight back on he needed to get back on it...best of luck muchacho or muchacha

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I have been using one since 1998. I use the Swift LT nasal pillow mask. It is more comfortable for me than the
mask". I had no problem adjusting to it as I had my best night sleep in a long time the first night I used it.
edit on 4/17/2018 by rhodesj2314 because: fixed spelling

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I son't have apnea, but I recently I started mouth breathing at night.
I started using a wedge pillow, with my regular pillow on top.
It helps immensely, as does having a fan in the room.

But mouth breathing isn't as dangerous as sleep apnea......

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Flag for the tread. I've had moderate sleep apnea since 2001 and I'm on my third machine now with full face mask. It does help sleep better along with ambien. If you have severe snoring get it checked out and it's not the end of the world. My best,

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: rhodesj2314

Dumb question. How often does the hose get in the way?

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
OP I'm in the same boat. I CLEARLY have it. Wake up with a jerk every time I try to get comfortable and lay on my back gasping for air. Snoring that bothered my neighbors when lived in a condo. Go get the sleep study, the mask will put you to sleep from what I've heard.

Needs to fit.

Seems uncomfortable but is way better than not breathing. Trusted family and friends. Rickymouse means well, but get some real advice.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

How did you discover you had it? I'm wondering if I might have it. I also wonder if it can be caused or exacerbated by cigarette smoking. I wake up feeling low on oxygen I fall asleep on my back, and like I didn't get any rest at all. Best of wishes with your situation sir

edit on 4/18/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Talk to your doctor. He can arrange a sleep study. The sleep study showed that mother stopped breathing over 100 times when she slept.

She has to take it everywhere because she freaked them out when she was in the hospital, when her breathing stopped and her heart rate dropped into the 30s. They almost coded her until I told them she was fine, she was just asleep.

She has been instructed to bring it with her the next time she goes to hospital.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join