It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthropology....to carry on or not. life long dream

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Since I was a kid my farther, and best friend, taught me history and the importance of it. Growing up in the UK it was a proud day when my dad was able to say he taken us to every historical battlefield, castle ruins, castles still standing etc. AS well as archaeological dig sites places of interest such as Salisbury hill, Stonehenge etc. He would talk for hours towards us about the history of England. We would discuss every period of England, from neolithic-man, to the vikings to modern day history. I even started looking into animal anthropology.

I was head set on finishing school and going to college for either anthropology or archaeology. I even mapped out my idea of majoring in one and mastering in the other. But as always the thought of money outweighed passion. So I started taking Political Science as I thought it would grant me a larger income and opportunities. Because of the lack of passion I didn't finish my degree but was only a year or so from graduating.

Now I am sick with end stage heart failure stemming from an unknown condition leaving me on the heart transplant list at 36. I have my good days and my bad days. 2 days ago, I decided that due to this I will never be able to go back to my physically demanding job and I should go back to university here and start an anthropology major. I have even been accepted and been granted student loans for it. It was the first time I had been happy in a long while. The idea of of gaining that major and working in the field gave me goosebumps and I know it would make my dads world complete.

Then it hit me...whats the point, by the time I would graduate I'll be 40 years old, maybe not even alive due to either transplant killing me, or dying before then because I didn't get one fast enough. So today, I am back to the lack of passion, not because I don't love the subject but because I don't see the point in trying to start a degree while on a transplant list, in which I might not even make it through. Even if I did, the chances of me getting my first job at 40 is low with no experience, plus if I have had a transplant by then, i'm likely only to hit the 50 mark anyway, so its barley a life long job..I might get a few years out of it.

I always talked to my dad about being on an archaeological team by the time I was 30... now i'm 36, i'm years behind, and now with a condition with limits my life. I used to dream as a kid, cute kid dreams about making a massive discovery, or unearthing a lost city, my dad loved these dreams of mine haha. I wish that dreamed had stayed with me and I wouldn't have jumped off the train for money endeavours over passion.

With this being said I don't know if I should cancel my enrollment, accept my upcoming fate, or I should try.....even if it means passing away before I get to where I want to be..I suppose I'm looking to validate a reason to follow a dream/passion at this point in my life with death literally hanging over my head... its likely anything I was going to achieve in my life the time for it has passed.

edit on 16-4-2018 by Ghostsinthefog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
When I got my MS in Early man Archaeology there were plenty of grants for academic research. Those have all but dried up with the anti education party in power.

I don't know the situation in Canada, doesn't matter...follow your dream!!

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I truly hope it is not as bad as you are told.

Carry on with your dreams, fight the fight.

Life is short for all of us. I could be hit by a bus tomorrow and perish. But I continue on knowing that living this life is what I was meant to do.

Never give up. Keep pushing forward.

Wishing you the best of luck and a long life.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I say follow your dream.

What's the worst that will happen? You'll die when it's your time.

In the mean time do what you love.

Good luck and I wish the best outcome for you
edit on 16-4-2018 by Wildbob77 because: Didn't finish my thoughts

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

a MS in Early man Archaeology, my dad would likely try to become your best friend!

Can I ask what it is you do now?

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Thank you Groot!

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77

thanks bob, I know what you are saying, its just hard some days to justify anything

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Because your looking for a reason....
Shouldn't that be the reason? I mean, this is your lifelong dream! You absolutely should do it! Your health could be the reason TO do it.
Shouldn't you be happy? No matter how much time you have left?

Yes. Yes you should.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghostsinthefog
a reply to: olaru12

a MS in Early man Archaeology, my dad would likely try to become your best friend!

Can I ask what it is you do now?

Work in the entertainment Biz....as an actor and crew.

Union Proud, Union Strong!

www.sagaftra.org... www.iatse.net...

www.bizjournals.com...

I didn't expect to ever be in this business but I can honestly say I am now living the dream....Live Yours!!
edit on 16-4-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghostsinthefog

Not gonna lament your condition or heap upon a bunch pollyannish 'just maybe's, but if you don't require an entirely new heart (e.g. it has to be a complete transplant, "no ifs, ands, or buts"), I hope you have looked into an LVAD. My partner's father needed a transplant ASAP, but the docs said his kidneys couldn't handle the transplant -- he had 72 hours to operate or die...2 plus years later, he's bitching about the soil being too wet and he's worried his tractor will get stuck. Point: he was a goner and this device is essentially an artificial heart. It's top-of-the-line. I'm actually shocked. Only draw-back is he can't get wet (short out his battery and his heart wouldn't beat). Outside of that, he's better than he was 5 years ago.

LVAD

Get that degree!

Many Blessings.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghostsinthefog Do what you love to do you will have less stress in your life.. A wonderful field of work with interesting people.Plan on looking back after many years to realize that you made the correct decision. I hope your unknown condition relents as mysteriously as it appeared. Have you joined a prayer list? Take care

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Not gonna lament your condition or heap upon a bunch pollyannish 'just maybe's, but if you don't require an entirely new heart (e.g. it has to be a complete transplant, "no ifs, ands, or buts"), I hope you have looked into an LVAD. My partner's father needed a transplant ASAP, but the docs said his kidneys couldn't handle the transplant -- he had 72 hours to operate or die...2 plus years later, he's bitching about the soil being too wet and he's worried his tractor will get stuck. Point: he was a goner and this device is essentially an artificial heart. It's top-of-the-line. I'm actually shocked. Only draw-back is he can't get wet (short out his battery and his heart wouldn't beat). Outside of that, he's better than he was 5 years ago.

LVAD

Get that degree!

Many Blessings.

Im actually on an LVAD. Although tgey don't know how long it will last as its been used as complete output. I have zero output. Left side is completly dead. It died for unknown reasons during a aorta fix.

My wave form is flatline if you have ever seen rhe monitors, i also have no pulse as my left valve doesnt open at all due to it being dead. My lvad is keeping me alive...just...but uts a temporary fix ro an unknown issue... if the lvad surgery wouldn't have worked i would never had woken up

Im on the heartware. They want to update the controller ut they can risk turning it off as i will instantly go into cardiac arrest. I also have an AICD...which jointly keeps me alive...i know norw machine than human...

Im so glad you partners farther got his lvad is working dor him.

In a nutshell this is how it went.

Day 1 - aortic surgery - 8 hours later heart died when they tried to restart

Day 2 jwpt in a coma and had double bypass - nothing. At rhis point the heart was dead. 0's across the board

Day 3 lvad surgery...if didnt work. Death.

Woke up from a coma 3 montha later be8ng told i went from vasic open heart surgery to having a deas heart, a machine, being put for transplant, and told we dont know how to treat you

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: PsychicCroMag

Thankyou. These comments have lifted me somewhat to keep going

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghostsinthefog

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

LVAD

Get that degree!

Many Blessings.

Im actually on an LVAD. Although tgey don't know how long it will last as its been used as complete output. I have zero output. Left side is completly dead. It died for unknown reasons during a aorta fix.

My wave form is flatline if you have ever seen rhe monitors, i also have no pulse as my left valve doesnt open at all due to it being dead. My lvad is keeping me alive...just...but uts a temporary fix ro an unknown issue... if the lvad surgery wouldn't have worked i would never had woken up

Im on the heartware. They want to update the controller ut they can risk turning it off as i will instantly go into cardiac arrest. I also have an AICD...which jointly keeps me alive...i know norw machine than human...

Im so glad you partners farther got his lvad is working dor him.

In a nutshell this is how it went.

Day 1 - aortic surgery - 8 hours later heart died when they tried to restart

Day 2 jwpt in a coma and had double bypass - nothing. At rhis point the heart was dead. 0's across the board

Day 3 lvad surgery...if didnt work. Death.

Woke up from a coma 3 montha later be8ng told i went from vasic open heart surgery to having a deas heart, a machine, being put for transplant, and told we dont know how to treat you

Damn, I wasn't gonna say anything like "I pity you", "#, that's terrible", or etc., but that's rough bro. You're my age (maybe a year or two older, but still) and I can't imagine. I'm sorry dude.

All I know, is the LVAD was a life-saver for you and him, both...if you ever seek advice or swapping stories or anything as it relates to LVAD, PM me. I'll ask Chip, I'll ask his docs, I'll do research or anything relating to LVAD experiences and am more than willing to hear more about it and help, if possible.

Again, good luck and take your ass back to school.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

There are some choices for you to make. You can go for that degree and pursue your dream even if your prospects to practice your field might be limited. Who knows? You might outlive your expectations. You might just get lucky and meet someone who can advance your dream.

Alternatively, there might be some less important, maybe technical job you can get in the field. Maybe you won't get academic credit or direct the work but you could still contribute to the endeavor. I mean something you can do without the advanced degree.

Another approach might be to start writing about what you have learned so far. This is good if you like to do your own research. Even if you have to publish to a website, you can start to build your reputation.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Thankyou tom.
Some food for thought

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

You said the thought of classes excited you which is something to give you happiness. I understand the outlook is grim so I strongly suggest you do everything you possibly can do that makes you happy while you are still here. It cannot possibly be a waste of time and don't allow your unfortunate circumstances to separate you from much needed joy. Don't spend what could be your last moping...give it all you've got!

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Do it!

I got downsized at age 55... no one would hire me (woman, and everyone assumed in those days that women couldn't be computer geeks) and went for a Master's in Anthropology because it seemed fun and it was something I thought I wanted to do.

Loved every minute of it -- AND -- a decade later that degree has actually brought me opportunities that I'd never have (and I am now an adjunct college professor, something I thought was beyond my reach.) You can be a speaker, a producer of documentaries, a revealer of truths, someone who brings the sense of how people who are different (like those who post on ATS, for instance) are fully engaged in being human and have their own valid symbols and symbolic language and mores.

And you can provide critical insights into the anthropology of medicine from a patient's viewpoint.

Come... join us!

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I can understand the desire to give up because of what you are facing....but just imagine the inspiration from fighting through and keeping your desire alive

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
If you look around at local archaeological societies, you may get the opportunity to work on a dig, and/or processing the materials and doing the reports. All without a degree. Are you in Ontario? There is a pretty active group here with numerous local chapters.
I started late in life on an Anthro degree, but life got in the way about 4 credits short. But I did attain the qualifications to get a provincial licence so I can be a shovelmonkey all by myself. I get my academic yayas out by research and writing. Now...I'm not making any money on it in my particular circumstances, but I'm having fun and getting published.
PM me if I can provide any direction.

top topics

join