It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth and Reconciliation in America

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Scrubdog

Based on my experience the same things.

OMG! Do you mean that humans are freakin' human no matter their skin color. No WAI!!11!!

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Scrubdog

Based on my experience the same things.

OMG! Do you mean that humans are freakin' human no matter their skin color. No WAI!!11!!

Right, except he didn't say anything about white crime, he blamed "black crime" on "large numbers" (compared to what, I don't know), and how they are raised, the inference being that this is somehow different than "white crime" which went unmentioned completely.

Not surprising, he says that Native Americans earned their genocide, so it's not exactly a surprise where he's coming from.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
All valid points, and thanks to everyone who took the time to read and respond. There is a lot to think about in here, imo. I appreciate everyone's perspective and will take it all into account when I write whatever letters are going to come of this conversation. (futile maybe but I do want to follow through and try to do my part to unite our communities)

Letters/blogs are the only thing I can think of where I can contribute something. I'd like to offer the right people (one poster on here mentioned a decent-sounding state rep) some ideas toward working to lessen the divide here.

I also think that, despite all the rhetoric, our country has made great strides and achieved worthy goals for the betterment of humanity. I think so highly of us that I am convinced we can do even better.

You can also look at Meetup.com and find groups that have similar interests and goals. (link) There are others who also want to do something but don't know where to begin. Writing and blogging about your efforts ALSO teaches otehrs about their options.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I regret not mentioning in my OP the reasons behind writing this piece now, especially since politics have been brought up, and many are suspicious of agendas or groupthink nowadays.

I've been real lucky to have had some very unique experiences in life, travelled to outside the box places in the US and even a bit outside of the country, all experiences that have led to many eye-opening conversations. Recently I travelled to Iceland and met a group of leaders of small Arctic communities, and had a couple of discussions which have stuck with me.
I even mentioned these briefly in another thread (about my trip to Iceland).
I was talking to one beautiful and kind woman, an Inuit who lives in Alaska. I asked her if she spoke Inupiaq and her eyes welled up with tears. She told me (no anger at all, she was such a gentle and kind person) that her grandparents had been forbidden from speaking the language and that her parents grew up speaking English. Here's an article about it:
www.ktoo.org...

Her tears were testament to the pain that is very much still alive in the Native communities. And hers was only one of several heartbreaking things I heard that week. That was one of many experiences which has opened my eyes to the fact that people are still suffering from the effects of our nation's past. I am not one to tell them to "get over it." I want to listen and see what can be done.

I will still maintain that it is up to our leadership to start the official healing process but if they won't do it, I am definitely willing to reach out and do what I can.

a reply to: Byrd

I followed the link.. great suggestion! There were quite a few groups that looked really interesting, and I'll let you know or maybe post on here what I can find!

edit on 17-4-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Remember Churchill: "History is written by the victors".

I'd wager you have read Dee Brown's "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"...if not, do so...and prepare yourself for a litany of "eyes welled up with tears" moments. It's the de facto telling/history of 'American expansionism' (aka Manifest Destiny, or what Davey Crockett likely felt was the 'Frontiermen's Delusion') and it's annihilation of the American Indian during the mid-to-late 19th century.

Remeber the Alamo, but more importantly, remember the perspective of a true patriot, Davey Crockett, and his life-long anguish of 'remember the Trail of Tears'. In contrast, to the lionization of a mass murderer, we remember as 'Ole Hickory, Andrew Jackson (who, depending on your source, was born 30 miles south of my birthplace).

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
Remeber the Alamo, but more importantly, remember the perspective of a true patriot, Davey Crockett, and his life-long anguish of 'remember the Trail of Tears'. In contrast, to the lionization of a mass murderer, we remember as 'Ole Hickory, Andrew Jackson (who, depending on your source, was born 30 miles south of my birthplace).

I don't see much agonizing in Davy Crockett's own account of the Trail of Tears nor did I see much sympathy for Native Americans in his writings. I came across (I can't find it now) his "newsletter" that he wrote while he was in Congress, and it was neither kind nor admiring towards people of other races.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I saw some groups that also looked interesting, but at this point there's a lot more requests for my teaching computer classes (which pays money, soooooo....) and I'm trying to pace myself.

I think that the best solution is art. Even something like a play (for kids) - drama teaches and informs and is often the easiest way of allowing someone to "walk a mile in others' shoes." Doesn't always work, but remember that you are focusing on the world and not one single person.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   

My ten years of teaching hang gliding convinced me that teaching anything is probably the best profession.

Being a self unemployed hang gliding instructor does not pay well. Unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I think there are a few, very powerful things that could be done to "change our course." Personally, I spent the better part of a decade researching, inventing, and writing in regards to that very topic. Kind of over it at this point, honestly.

The problem is that we have been writing our story this way, for so very long, that it is immensely difficult (if not impossible) to accomplish such a shift within a generation or two.

Interestingly, the same psychological manipulation used to divide and conquer could just as easily be used to greatly accelerate such a shift... Perhaps a bit too tangential though.

Historically, we have gone through some relatively major changes in our Cultural Story, like with the industrial revolution. However, I suspect there is one on the horizon that will dwarf all of them in recent history, and perhaps even the Neolithic Revolution and domestication of fire.

Said change would likely enable the "pipe dreams" of the left to become realized. But, they would need to be cognizant, focused, and above all, willing to compromise to achieve it. Its little surprise, then, that the very opposite of those traits has been nurtured.

Its my own pet conspiracy that the current state of the left was done intentionally in order to prevent, or greatly minimize, the widespread creation and adoption of technologies that would render the so-called TPTB redundant and irrelevant. Its not at all that conservative mindsets are not capable of invention and innovation, but they are significantly less likely to do anything from using existing government overreach for good (I.e. aforementioned manipulation) or focus on a decentralized food supply (vested interest there).

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

You should find it. Maybe report back.

But in truth, I think it was more a lamentation on the treatment of the Creek Nation -- I'll admit (as you're more than willing to admit re: I came across (I can't find it now) his "newsletter"), I may have conflated the Cherokee and the Creek. But, hey, you're an FSME...must've taken a lot research to 'know-all' with the equivocation "I can't find it now"...

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Sharing in hopes some receptive minds read this quote from a conversation one of my friends shared with me. She has been engaging in a race discussion with one of her students (she's a counselor at a college), and yesterday he sent her this -- there is SO much hope in here:
I've redacted her name, and asked her to get permission from him before sharing.

"Hey _____ I am sorry for the late reply... I really appreciated the conversation we had. Literally I think America and the world in general needs this honest, genuine and unpopular dialogue. Being able to silence ones on self and listen and empathize from the perspective of another's is what I wish everyone would be able to do. I don't want it to be an issue of oh we're looking for sympathy or repentance because of the way the world functioned before we were even conceived. I think if everyone were to stop and consider another's point of view and actually work on themselves consciously and unconsciously like you did then we could move forward and change the wrongs that were made years ago and work to a truly United, considerate and inclusive future. You have no idea what reading the messages you sent me did for me. You made it a purpose to understand when you did not have to and could have done like so many have done and continued to do and that's ignore my pain and hurt for our country and the way our country has viewed people that look like me for years.

I just want to thank everyone again for having this tough conversation and actively trying to understand where each other is coming from.

Hope you are having a great day!
edit on 25-4-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join