It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wetherspoon Dumps ALL media accounts!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Wetherspoon pub chain shuts its social media accounts
Pub chain JD Wetherspoon has used Twitter to tell its 44,000 followers that it is quitting social media.
The firm's head office and 900 pubs will quit the micro-blogging site, and also Instagram and Facebook, with immediate effect, it said.
The pub chain linked the move to bad publicity surrounding social media including the "trolling" of MPs.

Is this the fist one? I know its only small pub!
but its a Big start.
read the comments at the bottom.
people are all for it on the BBC news site.

This IS people power.
social media is now being used mostly for hate and propaganda.
I hope this is the death of them!
they have abused it for to long.
Or is this a sinister plot?
for THEM to control things more?

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

I was just reading this elsewhere.
Finally some common sense or just a ploy to piss off the Milennials.
Either way it's as refreshing as a pint of Abbott

www.walesonline.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I don’t have any social media accounts. If someone wants to talk to me or say something they will have to do it to my face. Hell, I don’t even like having a cell phone.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
For a moment there I wondered when P.J. Whelihan’s changed its name, thinking I’d had a Mandela moment.

That out of the way; good, while advertising via social media was/is excellent exposure it clearly got well out of hand years ago. If social media is supposed to simply keep people connected to one another then business advertising is the first thing that needs to go. We’ll likely never truly undo the monster that social media became, the potential for it as a data mining source is too great and there is too much opportunity for money to be made; and even if Facebook collapses something else with rise, other social media already does much of the same that Facebook does, they’re jut not getting any flak for it currently.

For the record I have an FB account, I use it to chat with about 6 friends via private groups.
edit on 4/16/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Good for them. I think all places of work should follow suit. Sick to death of people walking about staring at their hands. The amount of accidents it causes, must be huge. I have seen wagon pile ups caused by this madness and countless car wrecks. World would be a lot safer in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Next step is to stop broadcasting BBC news in their outlets, I like my pint without propaganda thanks.

Rich Planet did a very interesting piece on this topic.

RA

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It's got nothing to do with the ongoing saga about social media. That my friends is just Tim Martin spitting the dummy out because all the bad coverage of the Tory party.. As Mr Martin is a die hard Tory he doesn't like it when things don't go his way.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Small pub? Wetherspoon's is a mega chain in the UK with cheap beer, cheap food and a lot of respect from the general public.

Other than that, this is awesome news and it made me smile.

Star and flag mate.
edit on 16-4-2018 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don’t have any social media accounts.

I know at least one site you chat with others on. That counts.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
So they shut down their social media because trolling exists elsewhere on the internet? LOL. little bit snowflakey??

Wetherspoons - where your food and drink is cooked and served by 16 year olds. Spot the employee over the age of 21. PSYCH! There isn't one.

(but I do drink in them, who doesn't, lol)
edit on 16-4-2018 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Forums are indeed social media. I chuckled at the irony too.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Don't allow politic on your media it takes a bit to bloc but will work. And really social media FOR A BUSINESS doesn't seem to have much value unless yo have a lot of specials to put out. I do marketing and if you haven't got something to keep adding then it's really a waste of time.

Why would most businesses need Twitter???

Facebook for specials and such

Website for all your information and schedules and printable stuff

Most others are a replay of the above

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: markymint

(but I do drink in them, who doesn't, lol)

Rendering the rest of your post pointless...

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Social media has got too big and too intrusive.

I am waiting for retro media, with inconspicuous networking with real friends. Sort of Facebook very, very light and not run by billionaires who are motivated by the share price. That would be something I could use.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

And it'll be brought up again on this year's Tour no doubt.
Looking forward to Merthyr Tydfil

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don’t have any social media accounts.

I know at least one site you chat with others on. That counts.

He walked right into that one didn't he?
edit on 18-4-2018 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Hey salty, you honestly felt the need to point that out? Like, it was chief amongst your priorities, or is it just cos you were band-wagoning this concept and action by Wetherspoons? See, it's called "disdain". A feeling we humans are welcome to have without any obligation to follow it through with tangible hatred or even action. Look it up, and keep in mind the services and things you have disdain for but still continue to use, ie, social media. Just cos you love Wetherspoons doesn't mean everyone in this thread, forum, country, world or universe has to follow suit. Christ.

If anything, this thread shows that they can be pithy and petty when they want to be. And here you are cheering them on, approving pithy and petty behaviour. Sure they might take themselves off of facebook, but 99% of their under 21 work-force won't be following suit will they. The same way that 99.99% of other businesses won't be looking to Wetherspoons and following suit. Why would they? No-one else is as seemingly salty/butthurt about social media as Wetherspoon CEOs...

Sure, what they've done may go down well with some jaded, bitter conspiracy theorists on a website that practically begs for toxicity and retardation on a daily basis to keep the ad rev flowing, but for many I'd say the sentiment that Wetherspoons needs to grow a pair when it comes to online enterprise rings just as true.
edit on 20-4-2018 by markymint because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-4-2018 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Um? what are we talking about again?

top topics

join