It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky governor apologizes for comments suggesting kids were sexually assaulted

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
DISCLAIMERI will absolutely not get into a debate over misunderstandings and misinterpretations of Bevin's comments in my embedded video...I've had my fill of that here locally. If you really feel like arguing against the merits of his claims, by all means, do not expect much of a response from me, if any...if you differ in opinion, so be it.

Can we at least debate your hitlerian disclaimer???

Totally kidding

I actually agree very much with your post and i do consider it valuable.

Thanks

You want to know my problem with the statement? Bedsides the obvious appeal to emotion, it attempts to diminish the teachers protest by invoking the safety of children. All of those concerns happen regardless of whether or not the kids are in school and some of those parents he mentions who can’t afford to take a day and watch their kids? Some of those parents are those teachers themselves.

Kids are exposed to drugs, violence, and sexual abuse everyday and it’s #ing horrible; but his statement comes off like an attempt to lay blame at the feet of the teachers for protesting.

It should be noted that I don’t know the governors politics or personal stance on the teachers protest, and I can’t watch the video, I’m going off of the text that’s been shared in this thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

You want to know my problem with the statement?

with me it is usually yes..

Locally on the shreveport news they are touting a story where they are prosecuting a 17yo boy for having encounters with a 13yo girl...

I think we are at a point of confusion.
for those who can't view this vid it is just a musical tease of the land of confusion

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Only saying what I saw.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

The major hypocrisy lies in experiences like this:

My wife was actually pursuing a teaching degree (special education) a few years back, and as a part of that, she had to "observe" in different classrooms and talk to different teachers about the profession.

Without fail, every teacher with whom she had discussions complained about the lack of viability with the KY pension system and their fear that, in coming years, it would be gone altogether. Keep in mind that, as a part of the bartered deal that was the pension system, teachers do not pay into the social security system in KY, and therefore will not have that money when they retire (which is a completely different issue altogether).

So, keeping that in mind, suddenly not even two years later, you would believe that every teacher loves and adores the KY pension system, and that any effort to amend it so that it doesn't completely dissolve is a terrible idea.

Here's the truth about the pension reform: Not a single thing changed for already-retired teachers. For current teachers, the only thing that change was that they put a cap on how many sick-leave days they have at the time of retirement that can go toward their retirement total (yes, they add the total of sick leave that they have left to their retirement salary and get paid that additional amount FOR LIFE).

The biggest change is to future teachers--they will not have a government pension, but will instead have access to a 401(k) type of retirement plan (you know, like 95% of Americans). The kicker there, though, is that the state government has agreed to match their contributions up to either 16% or 18% (I cannot remember which at the moment).

That is an insane amount of employer contribution matching, and for some reason, current teachers are getting all pissy about this.

So, here is the reality in which we live: Teacher were complaining to my wife about how insecure they felt about the failing government pension program, yet take to protesting when the governor wants to do his best to fix the future of the system, and then complain that new teachers will not be on the same government pension program that made them feel so insecure in the first place.

And then to top it all off, when Bevin vetoed the budget bill that had a lot of cuts to school districts and the state senate over-rode that veto, he's still somehow the bad guy.

It's Bizzaro World out there, and my only options are to just sit back and watch, or try to expand understanding on the topics after doing some research--the former doesn't help, and the latter is generally met with emotional resistance. It's a lose-lose situation.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
How stupid or mental do you have to be to say that? And he's the F'n governor.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join