It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky governor apologizes for comments suggesting kids were sexually assaulted

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

“I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today, a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them,”

Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin (R) apologized Sunday for saying protesting educators exposed some of the “hundreds of thousands” of children to sexual assault and drug use by walking out of class.

www.washingtonpost.com... /?utm_term=.671c38b1b99b

Seems a bit over the top but could very well be true in some part.
I do wonder why saying such reaches such a place as to folks to get so stirred up over words.

I am amazed how many think the state saves them from such.

..and for some levity here you go

Just to recap only the state can save you if you decide to strike in favor of better working conditions. So say the gubment

edit on 16-4-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I was shocked to hear someone say something like that, in my opinion that's just very.... silly to say. I'm sure a child was harmed, they are harmed every day. However it sounded to me like he was implying that if they had been at school, they wouldn't have been sexually assaulted that day. That's absolute BS, he should know better.

It was a very foolish and insensitive thing to say in my opinion. If he really gave a damn about the children who are abused and harmed he wouldn't have said something so flippant like that.

All above statements are just my opinions feel free to disagree.

-Alee
edit on 4/16/2018 by NerdGoddess because: my punctuation is crap. Thank God my English teacher was blind because she'd be so mad lol.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
You need to hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo husband cuz they rapin everybody out here.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Plenty of kids are getting sexually assaulted by their own teachers at public schools these days. No need to make up extremes about home life.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
You don’t have to be crazy to work for the government, but it certainly doesn’t seem to be frowned upon.

Great job with the appeal to emotion governor, but “won’t somebody think of the children” is a little tired.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Statistically the governor is correct though regardless of my opinion...

and yes i never pass up a chance to bring out the dodson pov.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Point us please to these stat you and twat seem to have inside knowledge

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

logic needs no stats

more kids at home alone the more chances of molestation.

just think about it

however for those that don't think for themselves here you go...

According to a 2003 National Institute of Justice report, 3 out of 4 adolescents who have been sexually assaulted were victimized by someone they knew well

www.nytimes.com...

This is not happening at schools with as much frequency as at times when kids are not at school. So we can extrapolate that if you increase the home time then the stats will rise. pretty simple watson

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

logic needs no stats

more kids at home alone the more chances of molestation.

just think about it

however for those that don't think for themselves here you go...

According to a 2003 National Institute of Justice report, 3 out of 4 adolescents who have been sexually assaulted were victimized by someone they knew well

www.nytimes.com...

This is not happening at schools with as much frequency as at times when kids are not at school. So we can extrapolate that if you increase the home time then the stats will rise. pretty simple watson

But how can they be molested if they’re alone?

Checkmate.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

But how can they be molested if they’re alone?

i guesss you missed this part of the op...

edit on 16-4-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Let me tell you a point of view from a Kentuckian on this matter (and I've already had to deal with plenty here in the state who are incapable of seeing his broader point and instead focus on "guarantee" and the sexual-assault part of the statement)...

Gov. Bevin is correct if we take the full points that he was making into context, minus a part that I will note after this quote:

Do you know how many hundreds-of-thousands of children today were left home alone?

I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today, a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them.

I guarantee you somewhere today a child was physically harmed or ingested poison because they were home alone, because a single parent didn't have any money to take care of them.

I'm offended by the idea that people so cavalierly and so flippantly disregarded what's truly best for children.

You know how many children live in urban communities and rural communities where there's a single parent who literally, if they could afford to skip work and not lose their job, they couldn't afford to because they need the money. They don't have a back-up for them; they don't get paid whether they go to work or not. They don't have an option, and some of them were given literally a matter of hours, so you know for a fact that there were hundreds of thousands of children who were left unattended, and some of them in communities where people knew that for a fact and took advantage of it.

And as surely as we're having this conversation, children were harmed--some physically, some sexually, some were introduced to drugs for the first time, because they were vulnerable and left alone.

It's offensive, frankly, it really is.[recording stops there]

Now, anyone with a decent ability to comprehend things said should be able to see that what Gov. Bevin was saying was that, since the teachers took a last-minute day (in some districts...some were still off for spring break) to go protest AGAIN about the state budget and their lingering pension-reform concerns, that for children whose home lives are so messed up, they took away that one safe haven that many children have: Their school.

This is a sad reality, and if you actually realize that, according to a study done three years ago, Kentucky has the nations second-highest child abuse/neglect rate in the nation (and 19 instances per 1,000 children), you can understand from where his frustration and claims originate.

Kentucky has nation’s second-highest child abuse, neglect rate

But too many people in KY and around the nation right now are so goddam focused on knee-jerk anger and reaction that people can't accept the most simple of truths, even if those truth are ugly to admit and we'd rather not discuss them.

So, the fact that Governor Matt Bevin had to apologize because there are those in our society who can't figure this stuff out for themselves is a very, very poor reflection on those pissing and moaning over things like his initial video, which is embedded at the bottom of this comment.

Honestly, I haven't watched the full apology video, and I may not, because I don't feel that he should have apologized for the comment that was recorded and passed around. I don't think that, in a related matter, he should be condemned for what he said about the protesting teachers who were and are basing their anger on apparent ignorance on the topic of their pension reform and how it directly affects them.

Many of the things that Bevin is doing--and I don't agree with all of them--have been relatively necessary from the standpoint of bettering Kentucky's fiscal outlook. Kentucky is near the bottom of national lists in many things, and while I understand that change is difficult and truths are sometimes ugly, if we can't approach these issues logically in this state, then we're doomed to keep repeating the same mistakes that have driven us so far down the rankings.

Now for the part that I don't agree with in his statement: It passively was blaming teachers for the actions of others (abusers), and I disagree with that. But I do think that the teachers have been rather inappropriate with the way that they've been handling this situation, and they have also been shifting the blame for many things. It's an ugly place that we find ourselves in right now, and I find the lack of maturity, civility, and rationale behind many of the happenings to be repugnant.

April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. The outrage over his statements is disappointingly ironic.

DISCLAIMER: I will absolutely not get into a debate over misunderstandings and misinterpretations of Bevin's comments in my embedded video...I've had my fill of that here locally. If you really feel like arguing against the merits of his claims, by all means, do not expect much of a response from me, if any...if you differ in opinion, so be it.

edit on 16-4-2018 by SlapMonkey because: added colon and space after "DISCLAIMER"

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

“I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today, a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them,”

Sadly, he's probably right... Also, he may know something we don't.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You're trying to reason with partisan hacks.

I rest my case...

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Edit: Never mind, it's absolutely not worth the effort.
edit on 16-4-2018 by SlapMonkey because: deleted rather harsh response, but it did have substance. Just look at my original comment for the answer.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
DISCLAIMERI will absolutely not get into a debate over misunderstandings and misinterpretations of Bevin's comments in my embedded video...I've had my fill of that here locally. If you really feel like arguing against the merits of his claims, by all means, do not expect much of a response from me, if any...if you differ in opinion, so be it.

Can we at least debate your hitlerian disclaimer???

Totally kidding

I actually agree very much with your post and i do consider it valuable.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The key word here being "Kentucky". I'm not surprised this is coming out of my home state.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I know...I just fell into the trap, but I have since deleted it, per your reminder.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

Can we at least debate your hitlerian disclaimer???

Heil No!

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Not surprised about what, that he's correct according to statistics (19 cases of abuse/neglect per 1,000 children in KY), or that, based on ideology, you disagree with how he said it, so you think that negates the probability of it being true?

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
and the teachers out there protesting might respond with...

you gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

sometimes the ends justify the means.

some suffer today so that many can blossom tomorrow.

and last but not least the road to freedom is paved with blood.

yea maybe the last one is over the top but no body ever gets ahead without a little sacrifice

point being is that although i very much disagree with the educational system and common core and most of the lessons being taught i do hear some legitimacy in that they are underpaid and this leads to an environment of teachers being stretched too thin and simply just not able to perform mentally at a level that they perhaps could if they were not cash strapped.

My serious view on the matter is that we should pay them a fair wage and keep the curriculum localized and root out the lies and intolerance that has been forced on the teachers and school systems as a whole.

How about a logic based school?

Perhaps a good start would be to have clear and concise accounting of taxes collected and cut out government funding and intervention. If that means less pay in some cases then perhaps rates will have to be adjusted in order to reflect a working school model that promotes all aspects of history and culture along with the basics of reading writing and arithmetic.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join