It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Stream is the weakest it has been in 1600 years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
Read this just yeaterday.

Lack of Solar Activity Could Create Food Scarcity by 2023

It discusses the effect of solar activity on earth's climate.

www.agweb.com...

Sunspot activity has been monitored for the last 250 years, and cycles occur every 11 years, according to phys.org. The current cycle began in 2008 and sunspot activity peaked in 2014.

At one end of the 11-year cycle, the sun is relatively quiet, meaning there are few sunspots and flares. The solar max, the other end of the cycle, has an increased number of sunspots and more frequent solar storms.

Sunspots are one factor Shawn Hackett of Hackett Financial Advisors is observing that could play a large role in agriculture over the next five years, and we won’t be experiencing normal weather that we are used to seeing.

“There’s a very consistent solar radiation hits the earth, and it causes a certain amount of weather volatility that’s reasonable and the world can grow plenty of food within the confines,” he told AgDay host Clinton Griffiths.

According to his firm’s research, the sun is less active every 200 years and “all the weather variables get turned upside down.”

He cites fourth quarter drought in Argentina and the U.S. and flooding in France as evidence.

“Things are happening that haven’t happened in a long time,” said Hackett. “It’s just the beginning.”

He says we are entering a 5-year trough, which is where the greatest weather volatility.

“We have data that goes back to the 1600s and 1800s from ice core samples, tree rings, and from actually written testimony of the kind of problems that they had,” said Hackett.

If this pans out, Hackett expects to see a world with localized famines and food scarcity. He says he’s not out to spread gloomy news.

“It’s not going to be pleasant,” said Hackett. “It’s going to be a very difficult time. We’re going to have to come up with new ways of growing food in this more difficult environment.”

As it say's. It is 11 year cycles. We're near the bottom of one now.

The solar activity will increase again over the next 5-6 years.

It's a cycle.

Ask a radio operator about it. It's known as propagation.en.wikipedia.org...

Radio operators love this phenomenon because it enables them to transmit and receive signals from thousands of miles away.

It's a cycle that will keep being a cycle.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Periods of speedy cooling and warming can somewhat taint the veracity of ice core samples.

To be honest through i was on my way home and did not open the link, my bad.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: nOraKat

How was fresh water entering into the ocean through melting ice measured 1600 years ago?

If one were to read my source link that I had provided above, they would find that ice core samples have allowed scientist to follow the climatic change even further back into time.

Reply to MteWamp: Real and honest Scientists will have no fear of losing their jobs. Understanding the cycles, allows humans to properly prepare for the changes. They will always be needed. There is no need to create doomsday scenarios, that is simply media drama and politics for other reasons.

Touche, my friend, touche.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Seems to me, if you were able to get some scientists, to say the climate was going to cause problems in agriculture, which will lead to a food shortage, then you paid farmers not to grow (yeah, they do that), then you could make some money during the shortage.

Just a thought

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

Actually, I've seen that we are into cycle 25. Cycle 24 was both short and weak. It was I guess the shortest weak cycle they've observed since observations began. Normally short cycles are strong, but this one wasn't.

They're not sure what that means, if anything, since recorded observations of sun cycles are so very short all things considered.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Actually, I've seen that we are into cycle 25
Nah. Based on predictions there could be as many as 3 years to go. But until sunspot activity begins to steadily increase, we won't know when the minimum actually occurred and the new cycle started.

edit on 4/16/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Seems to me, if you were able to get some scientists, to say the climate was going to cause problems in agriculture, which will lead to a food shortage, then you paid farmers not to grow (yeah, they do that), then you could make some money during the shortage.

Just a thought

True ...... greed still runs the show however at this time. There was story here a few years ago about farmers having to dump tonnes and tonnes of eating grade oranges (at their own cost of course) because the government in all their wisdom decided to get it's supply from China instead because they could save a short term buck.

edit on 16-4-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

Nobody lived tens or hundreds of years ago but there are ways to discover things and get information from that time.

Like we can measure/examine what is in sedimentary layers to get information on atmospheric conditions, etc.

Not sure the details on how they got that information but I suspect the methods are pretty solid to make such a claim.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

a reply to: nOraKat

Thanks n0raKat, and despite some responses in this thread, it is a very real thing going on, and the consequences have been visible for some time now.

Take for example, the much harsher winters the UK has been having since the BP Gulf Oil Spill... it was right after this oil spill that the Gulf Stream went into "granny gear"; and barely was making it half way to England..

With the increase in volcanic action, the perfect storm could hit..

Huge amounts of ash and dark particles get deposited on the remaining ice sheet in Greenland or wherever..

The added heat absorption by the darker particles would create a massive melt off. Perhaps enough of a melt off to to halt the Gulf Stream conveyor..

And then ice age until currents reestablish themselves, and the melt finally comes.

From the BP Oil Spill to now, is less than a nanosecond on a geological time frame. So yes, these things can happen very quickly.

It all depends on several factors...if the world gets dealt some really bad cards, yes, it could get pretty grim.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Climate change based on what? A couple hundred years of data from a 4 1/2 billion year history that has been compromised by those who stand to benefit the most from it. They don't have a clue at best. a reply to: nOraKat

edit on 17-4-2018 by gimcrackery because: Added one word, benefit

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: gimcrackery

Deny. Deny. Deny.

We're talking about actual data regarding the actual change in our climate, not about some fancy theory in a universe of unicorns without industrialisation and/or just simple heat island effects. Check out one of the actual 2m temp anomaly maps here:

cci-reanalyzer.org...

But you could just go outside and catch a plane to enjoy Europes summer in the spring of 2018. Who on Ceres cares anyway.
The site has a sea surface temp anomaly map for us to explore as well. Actual data compared with actual data, no models.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Solar Cycle 25 has begun.

They've spotted the first sunspot of cycle 25.

It seems a small sunspot has been observed, that has the opposite polarity of cycle 24 sunspots.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

You misquoted the title of that article.

Here is what it says:

It's because spots appearing this early in a cycle - even before a minimum is well established - are quite rare. We could speculate that solar minimum may arrive early and/or may be brief, more evidence regarding the seemingly stochastic component of the development of the solar magnetic cycle.

It doesn't say cycle 25 has begun. It says 24 may end earlier than predicted. As I said, we won't know until after we get there.

edit on 4/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Basically it says not much of anything, pretty sad how much guessing is involved and yet all sorts of claims about planetary conditions are made from cycles that may not even be cycles.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

They observed the first sunspot of opposing polarity which means the end of the cycle is right there.

They don't want to call it because it's a new thing from existing observations ... of course, they don't have much in the way of existing observations to base an understanding on, so they aren't sure one way or the other.

But traditionally, the first sunspot of opposing polarity means the cycles are changing - Cycle 24 is ending and Cycle 25 is beginning.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

The cycle is approx.

solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...

Don't forget. There's a top and a bottom to this cycle.

Also. I'm glad it's changing. It means i can talk to the U.S from UK in approx 2-5 years from now. Been a while. Damned cycles.

www.stroobandt.com...

edit on 18-4-2018 by blackcrowe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The Gulf Stream is being blocked by all the oil platforms in the gulf.

the heat from all the platforms does not help>

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join