It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help learning specific words for use by military / government where society has collapsed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

THEY still haven't cracked NP hard ciphers..

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Sung to the tune "And I Still Haven't Found .. What I'm Looking For" ... you too.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: flice
you wouldnt have any military terms anymore. at the point you describe military platoons would become gangs. with no1 giving them orders they would likely begin killing civillians to steal food and supplies from them. only the strong survive in a country in anarchy.

Definition of anarchy
1 a : absence of government
b : a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority the city's descent into anarchy
c : a utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

the radio host in the script will specifically be mentioning the US

Beyond the use of words like SNAFU [ situation normal all f***ed up ] and FUBAR [ f***ed up beyond all recognition ] I don't think a radio host is going to be using military jargon to talk to a bunch of civilians who likely won't know the meaning of many of them. It may sound cool, but the hosts job is to make things as clear as possible for the listeners and all that jargon is not going to help.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Don't worry about it. If society collapses, there is no way a military gov't can run things. The whole thing goes down, including any organized military.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
1st Never ever mistake the term Marshal for Martial again. That is a bad start.

Amen, and he's writing a script? That alone will get it in the trash can.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Hmm...

Only on phone so can only be so helpful atm.

Your pitch is kind of odd as if its already a post-apocalyptic situation then government will be history. Then its living in the moment and terms would likely be more distinct from one group to the next.

Apocalyptic situation is somewhere during the process of the world as the beholder knows it ending, here there can still be government etc sorts around talking at people with proper state terminologies.

Of course after an 'end' then it can be total ruin, or any flavor and size of Dystopian 'government' can arise. It being from military personel remnants quite likely. Their story alone could be interesting. They might still use 'state language' from before. It might even be part of their 'legitimacy trip'.

You might make yourself an expert on this stuff by digging into previous art. In December 2016 i posted my Ultimate Dystopian / PA Cinema List 1200+ titles. Run that list thru torrents the next whole month and youll get a cookie.
edit on 15-4-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Hmm...

Only on phone so can only be so helpful atm.

Your pitch is kind of odd as if its already a post-apocalyptic situation then government will be history. Then its living in the moment and terms would likely be more distinct from one group to the next.

Apocalyptic situation is somewhere during the process of the world as the beholder knows it ending, here there can still be government etc sorts around talking at people with proper state terminologies.

Of course after an 'end' then it can be total ruin, or any flavor and size of Dystopian 'government' can arise. It being from military personel remnants quite likely. Their story alone could be interesting. They might still use 'state language' from before. It might even be part of their 'legitimacy trip'.

You might make yourself an expert on this stuff by digging into previous art. In December 2016 i posted my Ultimate Dystopian / PA Cinema List 1200+ titles. Run that list thru torrents the next whole month and youll get a cookie.

Atleast a few understood...
yes... its a timeline speedup. The occurance has happened in the main story this was merely part of the intro. Thanks for the list tip. Will give it a look.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

originally posted by: flice
Hello guys...

I'm currently writing a feature script in which I'm trying to research correct usage of words surrounding very specific situations in society / the world. Reason I'm asking for US specifics if because the radio host in the script will specifically be mentioning the US as it seems it always falls back to how the US will handle any given situation. But here goes:

- Is there a word or a set of words for a situation where the congress is gone... as in wiped out incl. the president, and where the entire military capability of the US is put out of order. As in non-exisistant or fragmented so badly that you couldn't even communicate via morse?

As such I'm talking about BEYOND marshall law... there is no governing body or set of bodies. In best case military is counted in sporadic platoons here and there across hundreds of miles.

Rural and Texas.

Some would call both of those a Libertarian Utopia . Big government supporters would call it anarchy or a power vacuum.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: fightzone58
you wouldnt have any military terms anymore. at the point you describe military platoons would become gangs. with no1 giving them orders they would likely begin killing civillians to steal food and supplies from them. only the strong survive in a country in anarchy.

Definition of anarchy
1 a : absence of government
b : a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority the city's descent into anarchy
c : a utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government

They wouldn't be called gangs, but rogue units. That's the military term; not taking sides but deciding to take action when they feel like it.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
omaha

top topics

<< 1   >>

join