It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: All About The Next Deadly Flu Pandemic.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

The current H5N1 is avian flu and you are correct it can be transmitted from birds to humans but it can not then be transmitted from human to human.

Though deadly to humans H5N1 in it's present form will not cause a deadly global* pandemic. For it to do so and thus emulate other flu pandemics named above it must go through a antigenic shift. It must basically infect from a bird to a person who already has human flu, combine with it, and mutate into a flu virus that will be as deadly as H5N1 but as infectious as normal flu.

When ,not if , this happens a deadly form of flu will be unleashed on the world. The current warnings from amoung others the W.H.O are based upon the fact that H5N1 seems ever more likely to make this switch.

Thanks JB1. Good explanation. Simple and easy to understand.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   

New Scientist Breaking News - 'Symptomless' bird flu cases raise concerns

The H5N1 bird flu virus might be acquiring a greater ability to spread from human to human, recent cases in Vietnam suggest.

The Vietnamese cases might have acquired the virus from poultry, especially from raw duck products eaten during the recent Tet New Year's festival. But because they each developed symptoms several days apart, investigators from the World Health Organization suspect human to human transmission.

many more people than suspected have harboured H5N1, and each of them is an opportunity for the virus to adapt further to humans.

The virus is getting smarter and is hiding. Carriers of the H5N1 virus who don´t show symptoms. Greater risk for spreading and... yeah, you know...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The seriousness of this threat is being minimized - almost to the point of being covered up. Yet many people - who believe staunchly in "terrorist threats" - think the 'looming bird flu pandemic' is just scare-mongering.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I beleive this is scaremongering. Who gains? The pharmaceutical companies, and the government. If everyone is required to immunize, think of the money! As far as the government goes, well, terror comes to mind. Fear. Stay close to home. Dont venture far. Stay home. Quarantine? What better way to have a police state due to health.

Just like the last bogus scare. Thats all it is. Scare tactics. Its bogus.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Just in case: Here's a Korean recipe said to cure avian flu;

www.fabulousfoods.com...

South Korean scientists say kimchi could cure bird flu

Tue Mar 15,12:28 PM ET Offbeat - AFP

SEOUL (AFP) - An extract of South Korea (news - web sites)'s famed spicy fermented cabbage dish known as kimchi could cure bird flu and other chicken diseases, scientists said.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
dg, I heard about that stuff last night on the radio.... it supposedly smells like you don't wanna know!

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I beleive this is scaremongering. Who gains? The pharmaceutical companies, and the government. If everyone is required to immunize, think of the money! ... Quarantine? What better way to have a police state due to health.

Just like the last bogus scare. Thats all it is. Scare tactics. Its bogus.

If you looked at the science dgtempe, you wouldn't think that. Fact is, scientists have been warning governments this would happen for years - but were ignored, and nothing was done to prevent it.

...Also, no one is making the right vaccine - so the profit motive is gone.

If they let it run amuck - then yah, the rationale for quarantine comes into play.

Mainly tho, this flu has been mismanaged for about 35 years - which is when the genetics, molecular biology, and the potential for mutation were first described.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Sorry, Soficrow, i dont agree with you on this one.
Time will tell, i guess..in the meantime check out the recipe.
This will be another bogus terror tactic, IMHO.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone here has watched the series ReGenesis, but they did a scenario in which the Spanish flu was uncovered in Nunavut (Canada) eaten by a bird and was then transferred tot he human population in Denver. The problem was that by using bird tracking technology they placed dozens of birds feeding in the area in which the frozen corpse of a Spanish flu victim was uncovered and they all migrated to different areas.

Scary stuff.
Lukefj

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This is interesting...

www.legitgov.org...

If anything happens it will be a man made unleashment.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
dgtempe - Our government is suppressing information about bird flu, not playing it up. Evidence suggests it may already be spreading here - and the only "bogus terror tactic" in sight is that they're positioning to blame bioterrorism when it can't be hidden any longer.

Originally posted by Lukefj
I don't know if anyone here has watched the series ReGenesis, but they did a scenario in which the Spanish flu was uncovered in Nunavut (Canada) eaten by a bird and was then transferred tot he human population in Denver. The problem was that by using bird tracking technology they placed dozens of birds feeding in the area in which the frozen corpse of a Spanish flu victim was uncovered and they all migrated to different areas.

Scary stuff.
Lukefj

Cool thanks. ...I heard about ReGenesis - but haven't seen it. Do you know if it's out for rent yet, or if it can be downloaded anywhere?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I watched the series on The Movie Network. I have no idea if it is available for rent yet. It is an excellent show though, very interesting.

You can check it out here:
www.themovienetwork.ca...

During the original airing of the series there was an online component which was interwoven within the story including active e-mail addresses that were used in the show, phone numbers, online forums and blogs. It was quite cool.

Lukefj

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
H5N2 bird flu virus has been detected in Japan.

Xinhuanet: H5N2-type bird flu virus detected in chickens at Japan farm (2005-06-26)

"The H5N2-type avian influenza virus has been detected in chickens at a poultry farm in Mitsukaido, east Japan's Ibaraki Prefecture, the Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Ministry announced Sunday. "

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Trying to combat or stop this flu pandemic is even more futile than trying to erradicate terrorism. Fighting a threat that doesnt play by "the rules" and is unpredictable is never going to work. All we can do against the upcoming flu pandemic is mitigate its death toll.

If I look at this flu pandemic devoid of compassion and empathy the more I think we need this. In the long run human overpopulation will see to it that this Avian Flu death toll will be completely eclipsed. Losing nearly 1 billion people or 17% of the Worlds human population now will prolong reaching our critical mass as a species. Hopefully long enough for science to erase overpopulation's effects (greater food productivity, renewable energy etc).

When overpopulation reaches a critical mass, the point where society breaks down and food is in critical short supply, the potential for the entire human species to be wiped out is very real. If this Avian flu can shift the time of overpopulation critical mass by 25 years I hope science will have enough time to save the entire human species.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join