It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's billion-dollar budget cuts to medical research and disease prevention

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Maybe because that , as with any government ran org , there is 16 levels of well paid managers watching one person doing the work ?

edit on 4/14/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: CB328

I have to call BS.

Why is it the leftists contention that throwing money around will solve our problems?

Spending more in schools yet our children are dumber.
Spending more on the "war on drugs" and it's a failure.

So spending more money will cure disease? Prove it.

Polio vaccines were found on a fraction of the spending now.

And we sure as # have not cured much since polio.... plenty of treatments but very few cures.

The polio vaccine was not a "cure" . It was a preventative inoculation
So , polio was not cured , it was prevented.
Not many "cures" have ever been out there.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

*raises hand*

Cancer free. 31 years. (damn, I'm getting old)
Thank you, medical science.

edit on 4/14/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

*raises hand*

Cancer free. 31 years. (damn, I'm getting old)
Thank you, medical science.

What cured ya ?
Or prevented it ?
I have a "special interest" in that
And , I could say , many decades and never contracted the Flu .Ever . No Flu inoculation , either .
And , I am old . Been there a while...

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Radiation (only) gave me 5 years of remission.

After that, chemo seems to have done the trick. My oncologist (who I was with until he retired 5 years ago) apologized for not being aggressive enough on the first go. I told him not to worry about it.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

I wish we would throw some Billions towards some other important issues.

We need national evacuation bunkers and shelters for war and natural disasters. We can learn to build habitats for space while we are at it.

Medical research is too business oriented. If less wasteful first, more money should then be given based on definite goals.

Money for intellectual tangents and personal vindication should come from private hands.

Some zen:
Government should be efficient so it doesnt get sick with corrupt ambition.

Where there is no dirt, every blemish stands out. Where there is much mess, confusion leads the intelligent mind to mischief.

Where nothing is lost and all is accounted for, only the thief seems lost.

Where nothing can be found and all is in doubt when tallied, only the fact that thieves must abound is truly obvious.

Every dollar counts.

Those who run government departments get paid by how large their department is. But this creates competition because they can only grow by taking over the responsibilities of other departments. So there's always this political rivalry.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Science and Medical Research should not be Dependent on the Government Dime . The Private Sector and Billion Dollar Corporations are the Ones who have the Wherewithal to Fund such Research .

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Radiation (only) gave me 5 years of remission.

After that, chemo seems to have done the trick. My oncologist (who I was with until he retired 5 years ago) apologized for not being aggressive enough on the first go. I told him not to worry about it.

Mine was due to a lot of procedures and surgeries. Only due to the fact it kept coming back . Didnt have to go through rads or chems , though.
Yet all that we have discussed is considered "treatment" not cure.
Good luck to both of us.
May we get much older.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

My only surgery was for "staging", lymphatic cancers aren't really operable. Bastards took my spleen though. Haven't missed it, so far.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

My only surgery was for "staging", lymphatic cancers aren't really operable. Bastards took my spleen though. Haven't missed it, so far.

Took 4 of my lymph nodes.
That was a trial
Ever heard of lymphedema ?
But as I edited my earlier post , those are considered "treatments" , not "cures"

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

They took a couple of mine too. Biopsy, not treatment.

After 31 years, can I call it a cure? Or if I die of a stroke will I have died of cancer?

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Trump's budget plans would be disastrous in so many ways including science and more specifically medical research. Cutting meals on wheels is also on here. That is a charity that my unit volunteered for when I was in the Navy. Why would you cut a billion dollars of spending that actually helps people and give that money back to corporations and billionires who don't need it? I guess Republicans really do want to kill granny.

www.dailykos.com...

He’s making cuts to the government, not medical research and disease prevention.
edit on 14-4-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You want to go back to a time when penicillin was the only anti-biotic? Let the AIDS patients die an early death, and the schizophrenics all locked up in state mental institutions?

I could go on but I think I've stated my case.

We need medical research. Some day I hope we will have a cure for cancer, diabetes, ALS, MS, Alzheimer's Dementia, and many others. And be able to identify causation, especially in children. To have those answers, and solutions, cost money.

You'd rather spend that money on what?

Constructive vs. Destructive. We chose what we are going to be.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

These government programs should have been trimmed a long time ago. These programs should come from private programs, groups, communities and churches.

When the government "fund" these programs most of the money goes to employees and administration. Past time we stop pretending these jokes are really helping those who need it. Cut our taxes and let the people decide how to take care of their own-too many "administrators" on the government till. Let's put the money back in the taxpayer's hands.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Private programs. Like "big pharma?"
Oh dear. There seems to be a conundrum.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

They took a couple of mine too. Biopsy, not treatment.

After 31 years, can I call it a cure? Or if I die of a stroke will I have died of cancer?

I would say the treatment was a success.
The cure for cancer was actually developed by the French in the 70s
Another thread for another day.
Peace

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

The cure for cancer was actually developed by the French in the 70s

Was it the nasty, nasty stuff I was subject to? It took about 5 years before the veins in my arms didn't feel like plastic tubing to the touch.

But it was worth it. I have a daughter. On second thought, she's a teenager. So...

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

"Big pharma" is heavily funded and controlled by the US government. Is that the conundrum you speak of?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join