It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Really Happened Last Night

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Last night, April 13, 2018, a coalition between the US, UK, and France launched an offensive maneuver against the regime of Bashar al-Assad of Syria. During this offensive, three targets were identified and destroyed, all of which were used in the manufacture/storage of chemical weapons. No civilian casualties have so far been reported to my knowledge. This action was opposed by Russia and Iran, Syria's allies. But so far, no one here seems to have realized why there was an attack.

The country of Persia (now Iran) was one of the first places where oil was discovered at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. I will not go into the full history of the Iranian oil situation, but suffice it to say that until recently, Iran has fought against foreign involvement in their oil industry. That has led to many serious conflicts with the West. Russian oil was first discovered in 2009 and subsequent efforts at locating oil reserves in Russia have been successful.

Russia is deficient in one key aspect of their oil, however: ocean access for shipping. All of their seafront is toward the Arctic Circle, which makes sea ice an issue with reliable shipping ports. After years of dealing with Communism and the almost total collapse of the economy, issues with more developed nations taking advantage of their attempts to thrive under Capitalism, and the breakup of the USSR, Russia badly wants to regain world superpower status. To do that, they need to take full advantage of their only precious product: oil. Their actions opposing the West in the past have endeared Russia somewhat to Iran, and therefore the preferred solution to the issue of oil exportation became a pipeline between Russia and Iran (through Georgia and Armenia) to gain access to the Persian Gulf.

The next step is access to the Mediterranean, to allow easier shipping to most of Europe and West Africa. There are two countries in the way: Iraq, which is destabilized now, and Syria. Bashar al-Assad is willing to allow the new pipeline; the US-backed rebels are not. The US economy and the tremendous debt we have accumulated relies on one thing: we own the International Reserve Currency. The reason we own the International Reserve Currency is that we have, via OPEC, historically managed to tie the dollar to oil sales. That is changing since the Iranian Hostage Crisis of the 1970s. Thus our hostility toward Russia and Iran, the two countries who are most adamant about not selling oil for dollars.

Bashar al-Assad is a madman. He does not care for anyone except his own people, and does not consider the Kurds, rebels, or ISIS as such. He has been the subject of many UN resolutions, and yet still maintains stockpiles of illegal weapons. Russia (and Iran) cover for him; they want their pipeline. The US opposes Assad; they do not want more Russian/Iranian oil diluting their control of the oil. Thus the stage is set.

Until a non-politician became President.

Trump made statements early in his campaign that I honestly laughed at concerning the Middle East. It was obvious to me that he had no idea what was actually happening in the Middle East, but of course, once elected, he found out. The dynamic has changed in Syria; as long as there is no imminent economic collapse associated with it, I think Trump is fine to allow Assad to remain in power. On the other hand, he is not fine with allowing Assad to possess chemical weapons. One thing that has not changed with Trump's philosophy is the hatred toward terrorism borne of his hometown being turned into a war zone on September 11, 2001.

Trump accomplished two things last night: he established a strength and resolve not seen in recent years, and he changed the dynamics of the Middle East. Russia will not attack us; they do not want a war they could conceivably lose, and risk losing their present economic position. Trump does not want a war with Russia, but he will not back down from attacking terrorism. The dollar-oil peg is taking a back seat to the policies of establishing order. It is now in Russia's best interest to take a harder approach toward Assad, as Trump has shown that UN resolution violations will destabilize Russian interests. That could bring peace to the Middle East if it works.

I have heard many previous Trump supporters on this site stating their displeasure at last night's attack. I am sympathetic towards that position, as I also do not want us involved in non-defensive conflicts like Syria. However, the state of the world is what it is... and at least I am seeing an attempt to change it. Whether or not this attempt succeeds is another matter entirely. I hope it does, but I am cautious in my optimism. I am sure the UK and France do not share Trump's reasoning, even if they did last night share his immediate goal.

As for my well-documented support of Trump... I'm waiting to see how things work out. Personal vendettas like his against terrorism are inherently dangerous. His actions and results from this point on will determine whether I retain my support of him, or join the bandwagon to reject him as unfit for the next term.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

However, the state of the world is what it is... and at least I am seeing an attempt to change it.

For the worse and the violent status quo remains, do I have to remind that the US, UK and France have no legal basis being anywhere near Syria?

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The president doesn't make these decisions. The responsibilty for keep tracking of current affairs is delegated to political czars with intelligence analysts reporting to them. They make the recommendations to the president who signs them off or implements presential veto if he wants to.

What's happening here now is just the same as has happened in the past. All the same script. Once again the UK PM didn't allow parliament a vote on whether they should engage in military action.

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
What happened?

Trump won.

Cowering to the whims of Putin in the days of Obama are over.

The table is set for Rocket Boy to know he will sit across from an American Badass at the negotiating table, not a shifty gutless coward.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
People are buying the article 2 line of power to bomb without authorization.

I am not.

IMO The reason they did not need permission for this is very very simple.

It was a staged coordinated event with all players involved giving full support to the show including asssad.

All except Russia who has now implemented a preprogrammed response that will soon play out.

He was a decent leader.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
twitter.com...

Haidar Sumeri

@IraqiSecurity
15h15 hours ago
More
BREAKING: Civilian casualties are being reported in Damascus as at least 2 residential areas have been struck by the US-led force's missiles. At least 4 dead in one of the strikes.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I'm not so blind as to ignore the potential value in last nights attack.

Last nights attack is a bell that cannot be unrung, however.

It sets a precedent that cannot be followed through because the nature of our political system does not adhere to consistency.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The bottom line is God knows what he is doing...

Donald Trump may not be my choice, but he happens to be God's...

Just because a man is chosen by God does not mean that he will do everything right.

“For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. But God is the judge: He putteth down one, and setteth up another!” [Psalm 75:6,7]

‘And the Lord says I have a trump card in my hand and I’m going to play it and I’m going to trump the system.’ ~ Cindy Jacobs the year before the election

“Listen to the word of the Lord, God says, I will put at your helm for two terms a president that will pray, but he will not be a praying president when he starts,”

“It shall come to pass that the man I place in the highest office shall go in whispering my name. But God said, when he enters into office, he will be shouting out by the power of the Spirit. For I shall fill him with my Spirit when he goes into office and there will be a praying man in the highest seat in your land.” ~ Kim Clement

I have chosen you Mr. Trump, and you will be a leader to many, not just of your people, but of the world. You will not just be seen, Mr. Trump, but you will be heard, for I have released a sound in you, and that sound shall be heard around the world. It will ring true and loud, and be like a shock wave in many countries. As you honor Israel, I will honor you. I have chosen Donald Trump to forerun a new model of national leader; yea, even a new form of world leader. ~ Stephen Powell

edit on 4.14.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Sorry man. Linking this to the Twin Towers is weak sauce. I see all these old worn out rationalizations coming back and I think, "Didn't we learn the last time?" See Iraq.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Last nights attack is a bell that cannot be unrung

Yea his name was Art Bell....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is what it is

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
What happened?

Trump won.

Cowering to the whims of Putin in the days of Obama are over.

The table is set for Rocket Boy to know he will sit across from an American Badass at the negotiating table, not a shifty gutless coward.

Wowsers

You should leave out the spoonfulls of testosterone in tomorrows bowl of wheaties.

It seems to be effecting your mentality.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
Bashar al-Assad is a madman. He does not care for anyone except his own people, and does not consider the Kurds, rebels, or ISIS as such. He has been the subject of many UN resolutions, and yet still maintains stockpiles of illegal weapons. Russia (and Iran) cover for him; they want their pipeline. The US opposes Assad; they do not want more Russian/Iranian oil diluting their control of the oil. Thus the stage is set.

I see this spewed all too often to try and justify our presence in Syria - and I don't believe it for a minute. I think you're spot on with the real reason for trying to gain control of Syria and that's to control the flow of oil - but of course that alone as the reason is a lot harder to sell to the public.
edit on 14/4/18 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
twitter.com...

Haidar Sumeri

@IraqiSecurity
15h15 hours ago
More
BREAKING: Civilian casualties are being reported in Damascus as at least 2 residential areas have been struck by the US-led force's missiles. At least 4 dead in one of the strikes.

It's quite likely that some of the civilian casualties were caused by Syrian air defenses lobbing shots

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

"God's Choice"

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I agree with the historical background you cite.
However I also feel that, as the U.N. is completely useless, someone needs to halt the renewed use of chemical weapons and it was appropriate to have a coalition of Britain and France engaged. Before I get blowback, the most likely culprit is Assad...yes there's also the possibility of false flag, but given his record....?!
edit on 14-4-2018 by SeaYote because: Typo

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaYote

However I also feel that, as the U.N. is completely useless, someone needs to halt the renewed use if chemical weapons and it was appropriate to have a coalition of Britain and France engaged. Before I get blowback, the most likely culprit is Assad...yes there's also the possibility of false flag, but given his record....?!

If you change Assad with Saddam we're right back where we were 15 years ago. Man people's memories are short.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'm not buying the chemicals weapons story, even less so than in the case of Saddam Hussein. Syria is in the way of an oil pipeline that Qatar wants to run to Europe (and the US via OPEC also wants this). Syria is also part of the greater Israel project where the hardcore believe that Israel's borders should go from Turkey in the North, East to the Euphrates and South the Suez. Every country in that space with the exception of the ever-compliant Jordan has been seriously destabilized; Lebanon, Syria, Egypt and Iraq.

Given AIPACs influence in American politics this hardly surprises me. Our foreign aid to Israel is $3 Billion annually. We have become nothing but the military muscle for our supposed 'great ally" in the region. The entire Syrian conflict stands to benefit them as much as it does the US. Just sayin'.

Assad is continually under extreme character assault. I have to disagree. Being the leader of Syria places one in the middle of the hurricane where no choice he makes doesn't make some segment mad. His father, Hafez Al Assad only kept the country together through severe brutality - but can not the same be said of all other Middle East countries? Given the amount of religious tolerance and secular government I would call Syria a success story, a country who would be thriving were it not for the intrigues and machinations of the world powers.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: SeaYote

However I also feel that, as the U.N. is completely useless, someone needs to halt the renewed use if chemical weapons and it was appropriate to have a coalition of Britain and France engaged. Before I get blowback, the most likely culprit is Assad...yes there's also the possibility of false flag, but given his record....?!

If you change Assad with Saddam we're right back where we were 15 years ago. Man people's memories are short.

Well it has been proven that Saddam's 2nd in command of the Air Force gave testimony to carrying chem weapons to Syria and Russia promised to hunt them down and remove them. Nothing changed but 15 years for the chemical weapons of mass destruction where there the whole time. We even sold Iraq the materials from a firm in Florida, I recall.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

This is the best depiction of what just happened I have seen so far! Thank you for the info! I don't get why Trump supporters are having any problem with this. As for the left Hill seemed to be pushing for intervention in Russia and Syria as soon as possible. I like the way he did it. He warned them which will help limit casualties compared to a surprise attack. Also targeting the facilities that may hold the illegal weapons and not hitting any real offensive weapons.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

This is a very different scenario.... Assad most definitely has produced and used chemical weapons. The U.N. security council sat on their hands and let Russia shut down the ability for international inspectors to monitor him.
If the U.N. would do there job and stand up to bullies perpetrating atrocities, individual nations would not have to.

"Russia vetoes UN resolution on Syria chemical weapons probe
The panel created unanimously by the Security Council is due to end in mid-November. Russia has drawn criticism for the move, but says it must first review an upcoming report before allowing the probe to move forward."
www.dw.com...

"Days after an alleged chemical weapons attack in the Damascus suburb of Douma, the United Nations Security Council failed to adopt two competing resolutions that would have established a mechanism to investigate use of such weapons in Syria, as well as another concerning a fact-finding mission in the war-torn country."
news.un.org...

Ambassador Haley today at UN Security Council meeting: "“The pictures of dead children are not fake news,”
www.foxnews.com...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join