It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open Source social network to replace Facebook - Idea for implementation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
So watching the hearing with Zuck, it is clear that there needs to be an alternative to Facebook that can directly compete with it. This is no small task but it is also fairly easy to achieve with a little work. Facebook allows you to download all your information which I am guessing is in a single file. This is common for many software applications like Outlook where all the data is saved and can be extracted into other programs and used just as it was in Outlook. Also, internet forums and blogs are the same, you can download the entire content of these sites and transfer them to new platforms in the same manner. The same can be done with the Facebook information when there is a software program setup to extract the information.

What I suggest is that people host their own data to an extent on their own ISP connection. This can be done on software on a computer or even better, on the router. A secure section of the router can be designated a host for the data and it would be very easy to update from your home connection. It would also be accessible from outside the network (with proper password or VPN connection, there can be very strict security protocols set up if you like) and if you have a dynamic DNS, then a built in program like DynDNS can be used to track where your IP is (this has been around for about 15+ years and is extremely reliable), if you have a static IP, then it is even easier.

I would suggest that the ISP's create servers to host this social media contant, similar to how they host email addresses. They should provide an alloted amount of storage per account and offer more storage for XX$ per month (like an extra 20-50Gb of storage for $5). Then the ISP hosting program talks to your router or software program and updates their servers with the current information. When it is updated on the router, it sends a message to the ISP server to update their servers. If a person doesn't have a router or software to host their files, then it could be done through the ISP servers directly, say if you only have a phone and an internet connection, you log in with your phone and update the file.

This social media account would work basically like a cross between a forum account and an email account (there could even be integration of a forum, email and messaging in the platform if the ISP wanted). This software could be used the same, as long as protocols were used across each ISP, where standard logins could be used for all forums that link back to your ISP social media account.

Now each ISP would need a way to link with each other and create an aggregate "member list" which is searchable. The content of each ISP would be transferred in a standardized data format which is then transported to the client (user/viewer) where they view the data in their own software/skin unique to their own liking. It takes standardized data formats and then personalizes the way it is displayed to the unique settings that each user has for displaying this content.

All of this is much more simple than it sounds as there are MANY programs that already do this exact thing, but they just need to be modified to handle the specific data used in social networking.

Now the only sticking point would be the aggragate server, which would be the hub where all the data of the ISP's servers would connect. This server would hold the "metadata" of all the individual accounts and this data would be easily searchable. These servers wouldn't need to be massive like an entire server farm or anything and this could be paid for through advertising on a VERY minimal scale or even something like a $.20 per user world wide (and I expect that would be 40-80x more than what is needed if there are 2 billion users of Facebook).

For those who ask about the cost of hosting this data, it would depend on how much content each user want's to have hosted and how much each account is used. I'd say 99%+ users to be negligible and on par with an average email account, then you have the "power users" that may have 10-20x the traffic and content. Most of these can be offset buy the users who don't use social media and those who use it minimally. The users who are Uber users, with millions of followers and massive amounts of traffic, like celebrities, then they should have to have special accounts created specifically for this (as it would protect their users data as well). these could be billed just like a hosting account at $5-100 per month, depending on how much content they want on their page. Remember, these are VERY few people, less that .001% of users and these people are making money from these accounts so it is acceptable for them to pay for the service.

This would be a fairly easy project to roll out if the ISP's aggreed and I think there are ways to make this more appealing to the ISP's and have them willingly implement this program. I'd be willing to start a kickstarter or gofundme project to get something like this rolling if people like this idea and think this sounds like a plausible path to move away from facebook. This could even intregrate with facebook where they could serve these ISP hosted files as a service as well, if people wanted to still use the facebook front end. Then there could be other companies that have their own interface and front end that act as access ports as well in addition to a stand alone client web browser hosted front end. This would allow for as many companies as people want to access the content, which is hosted "independently" of the big social media companies.

Please let me hear your feedback.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Or maybe, people could simply kick their addiction to social media and stop putting their entire lives online for governments and corporations to abuse?

you can't fix stupid.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
There's dozens of open source self hosted social media platforms...just do a search for open source social media.

The problem is not that they dont exist...it's that no one gives enough of a # to use them.

The purpose of social media is to connect to friends, or at least that's why people use if, if your friends aren't on this awesome open source social media platform, no one's going to use it.

Also...no ISP based social media...just no...that sounds like some AOL # you got planned out there.

edit on 14/4/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

This is coming soon. The problem was always the motivation to get people doing this. With Facebook being exposed and blockchain technology allowing microtransactions social media is already changing. This month a documentary about Substratum will be making waves on major outlets. They're using this new technology to begin our social network changing into the blockchain. There are quite a few projects actually. Check out Sapien as well. They're platform will be videos, blogs, and news all in one platform that rewards users for quality news and entertainment, the rewards are peer based so the masses decide what is important, not a central paid company.
We had to go through the old tech of social media to get to this new technology. The progress is so fast now days, and I'm actually getting excited for the decentralized future. This new generation hates the corporate greed that has been in charge and is striving on brining blockchain, the technology, (not bitcoin) to the masses.
edit on 14-4-2018 by IBossJekler because: Typo

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
ISP's wont want the hassle as its an extra cost in having extra servers/people who know what to do when things do wrong as its about as much for a small ISP to have a few people fielding calls and resetting passwords/sending new routers and all the usual bits, then when they're responsible for social media there will be all sorts of crazy people out there ringing up night and day complaining and having to deal with all sorts of law enforcement problems as they won't have the staff or infrastructure to handle safely such requests.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: IBossJekler

This is coming soon. The problem was always the motivation to get people doing this. With Facebook being exposed and blockchain technology allowing microtransactions social media is already changing. This month a documentary about Substratum will be making waves on major outlets. They're using this new technology to begin our social network changing into the blockchain. There are quite a few projects actually. Check out Sapien as well. They're platform will be videos, blogs, and news all in one platform that rewards users for quality news and entertainment, the rewards are peer based so the masses decide what is important, not a central paid company.
We had to go through the old tech of social media to get to this new technology. The progress is so fast now days, and I'm actually getting excited for the decentralized future. This new generation hates the corporate greed that has been in charge and is striving on brining blockchain, the technology, (not bitcoin) to the masses.

This sounds interesting and I'll read up on it as soon as I can. Unfortunately, what we see as a potential to rival the likes of Facebook, just ends up as another Facebook or goes away.

There is a pattern with idealistic smart people coming up with great ideas to take on the evil corporations. They go into it with the best intentions and come out multi-billionaires. The little company they create to help society becomes successful and eventually needs a bit of capital to continue. After all, they're not charging much, if anything, for the service. Enter the investors who put up lots of cash but want something in return. Now they are beholden to the corporate folks who see the potential. Next thing you know, the little company with the good intentions is driven by profit seekers and goes public making a lot of people rich. In the process, they have to create value.

There's nothing wrong with the get-rich scenario. I respect anyone who can achieve that kind of wealth by working for it but this thread is about finding a way to keep things simple.

The only way we can have a truly open social media platform is to have a peer-to-peer network with no one in the middle holding data. The data should be on your computer/device. You choose what to expose and you invite your friends to see it and post.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
No. These are pipe dreams. Facebook isn't going anywhere unfortunately. Nobody is going to implement your grandiose ideas.

You implement them. If they are so great why aren't you getting to work?

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
There's dozens of open source self hosted social media platforms...just do a search for open source social media.

The problem is not that they dont exist...it's that no one gives enough of a # to use them.

The purpose of social media is to connect to friends, or at least that's why people use if, if your friends aren't on this awesome open source social media platform, no one's going to use it.

Also...no ISP based social media...just no...that sounds like some AOL # you got planned out there.

Your 1St 2 sentences say it all.
1. Dozens already exist.
2. No one gives a crap.

Answered. Pointless..

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Some people only rent their router from their ISP. Frequently, these are subject to automatic updates and will completely wipe everything, especially with the factory reset button. Even if you set up your PC to be a server, there are still security risks with punching holes in your firewall. It would not be able to handle the torrent of traffic if you suddenly became a superstar. Therefore, your personal information would have to be hosted on a server just like a blog or personal webpage. For those that move around from country to country as international workers, even an ISP wouldn't be practical, because there is downtime associated with relocation. So a multinational company is the only thing that has perpetual presence; Amazon, Twitter, Facebook, Google, Disqus, Microsoft etc...

Facebook has a web API which allows you to add text, images, movie links, and any other information to your entry. That would have to be duplicated. But it would be even more useful if the API were written in C or C++, then any application could make use of it.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

The idea of hosting the information on my own server is not appealing. Having a section of my router even less so. There's a reason companies invest so much into cyber-security and that's because nothing is truly safe and even less so for those that don't invest enough in cyber-security.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I read your thread earlier on and just came across this vid that talks about The Zuck appearing before congress . I would bet that there will be no need to replace facebook because they are going to have to change to what every one thought they were to begin with . Ben make some very good points and makes a good distinction of facebook is either a platform or is a publishing company . If the latter then they will be taken to the cleaners in the courts .

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Check out Minds. I avoided Facebook, didn't trust it from its inception. After scouting around, today I actually joined this place. I'm liking the vibe of the place. And you can get reward in Ethereum from your activity. All it needs is more people but there seems to be an influx occurring as we speak, likely due to the current events surrounding facebook. Check it out.

www.minds.com...

edit on 15-4-2018 by harold223 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

edit on 15-4-2018 by harold223 because: double post

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I read that one Google engineer has brought out a website called hello.com

I always liked the idea of GeoCities where they actually linked websites to their region (State, City), then added virtual suburbs which were particular topics (Gardening, Sports, Politics etcc..). Usenet did something similar with their regional hierachy; alt.ca.general, ed.general, uk.politics

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
EMP
Electromagnetic pulse - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...
An electromagnetic pulse (EMP), also sometimes called a transient electromagnetic disturbance, is a short burst of electromagnetic energy. Such a pulse's origination may be a natural occurrence or man-made and can occur as a radiated, electric, or magnetic field or a conducted electric current, depending on the source.

Solar flare - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...
Additionally, massive solar flares are sometimes accompanied by coronal mass ejections (CMEs) which can trigger geomagnetic storms that have been known to disable satellites and knock out terrestrial electric power grids for extended periods of time. The soft X-ray flux of X class flares increases the ionization of the ...

Just a couple ideas i have been pondering for some time....

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
bit_connect?

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Minds.com

Had the CEO on the Max Keiser show the other day.
Looks like a promising idea.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
There was one that popped up around the same time as FB that was way better and less intrusive called Restore the Republic, I believe. I used it for a short time, but it just never had enough users so it died down. Now it's just a forum on the parent site.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKWO1Phot
Minds.com

Had the CEO on the Max Keiser show the other day.
Looks like a promising idea.

I have never really been a social media person but I am intrigued with minds.com. Check out this blog on Minds titled "Culture Shock: from facebook to Minds" It sums up what minds is all about and how it fundamentally differs from facebook.

www.minds.com...

top topics

join