It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Robots Learn to Walk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
For the first time ever researchers from Cornell University in New York, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands have invented robots that have been given the ability to mimic human gait and energy efficiency by integrating concepts from "passive-dynamic walkers", gadgets similar to whats been in children's toys since the 1800s that walk down a slope using the pull of gravity. For this 'bot the inventors simply substituted small motors for gravity power.

www.betterhumans.com
Insight from the work is also being applied to the development of robotic prostheses.

All of the robots are far more efficient than what's likely the world's most famous bipedal robot, Honda's Asimo. The researchers estimate that Asimo uses at least 10 times as much energy as a human.

The Cornell robot approaches human efficiency, able to walk on level ground while using as little as one-half the wattage of a standard compact fluorescent bulb.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now this is an exciting development that I never predicted to happen is such a short time frame. I have been expecting this breakthrough for quite some time, and didn't believe it could happen this quickly, its quite disconcerting at times. Could this invention pave the way for fully robotic combat troops on the battlefield in the near term? On a more positive note, it looks like robot wars(the show) is going to get a lot more interesting in the near future.

Related ATS Research Project:
The New Military

[edit on 17-2-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Thats great that this robot is more energy efficient, but for looks and style I'd still want to own a Asimo.
I would really like to see this robot in action. I've seen video of the Asimo and it blew me away.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well asimo was made as a public demo and a tech demo. This is purely a tech demo/prototype. That being said the aesthetics of robots using this technology(which is basically the same way we walk, Biomemetics at its best) will probably outstrip asimo. I wonder if they can apply the same tech to other non-bipedal robots?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Here are the homepages for the biped labs of the three universities represented in the article.

Delft

Cornell

MIT

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Creating artificial life is alright as long as you don't give them "artificial emotion" right? I would hope we wouldn't have an i, Robot/ Terminator/ Matrix scenerio...
mabey we already do...

[edit on 17-2-2005 by Pandoras Box]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
A new life form takes its first few steps...

The Singularity is not far off now...

Goggle it...Singularity...

It is the future.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pandoras Box
Creating artificial life is alright as long as you don't give them "artificial emotion" right? I would hope we wouldn't have an i, Robot/ Terminator/ Matrix scenerio...
mabey we already do...

Well if we do give them emotion then they should be given rights as well. Hell if they are self-aware they should have rights and responsibilities.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Being_of_Now
A new life form takes its first few steps...

The Singularity is not far off now...

Goggle it...Singularity...

It is the future.

Yes and read a book called "Out of Control" by Kevin Kelly. It talks about that step by step process entities (of all races and types) take to go beyond causality (cause and effect) and into emergance (ordered chaos). It talks about how our machanical and computer world is turning more biological while we are turning more mechanical...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

mabey we already do...

Well if we do give them emotion then they should be given rights as well. Hell if they are self-aware they should have rights and responsibilities.

Presicely, we can eliminate that whole schbeel by NOT giving them emotion. Keep them simply as intelligent. But who can stop emergence? If they evolve to that level, hell yes give them rights and responsibilities. They could help the human race out alot. Especially if we keep at peace with them and not give into vainity and corruption...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Now this is an exciting development that I never predicted to happen is such a short time frame.

If this is what we're allowed to hear about, what else might be happening?

We do need to start a discussion about Open Source and regulation...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Plus i read in another forum that most countries were recruting young child prodogys to quickly develop the AI. Why the rush?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Plus i read in another forum that most countries were recruting young child prodogys to quickly develop the AI. Why the rush?

Next gold rush, is all. Technology nowadays is increasing exponantially as is the underlying science behind it all. Things are getting invented now that 90 % of them never go on to become the paradigm changing innovation that they were promised to be.

soficrow, yeah I agree that discussion really needs to take place at ATS as it hasn't been done before. Might as well talk about the supposed "Singularity" to as it could very well blindside us. The Collapse is another subject I want to get into as well, its very complicated though and involves alot of math problems I do not quite understand yet, I'll try to get some help.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Thats great that this robot is more energy efficient, but for looks and style I'd still want to own a Asimo.

Asimo didn't start out as handsome as he is today, so I would expect that eventually these new robots will get some fancy duds when they're finally ready to make their debut.

Asimo is the reason I have owned three Hondas.

world.honda.com...

[edit on 05/2/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Next gold rush, is all. Technology nowadays is increasing exponantially as is the underlying science behind it all. Things are getting invented now that 90 % of them never go on to become the paradigm changing innovation that they were promised to be.

Yes that is true. The thing was when i watched this TV show about child prodogies (it wasn't about AI) it mentioned some young boy who wanted to use his wit as a TV personality but was unsuccessful. So the government sent representatives to convince this boy and his family to move to some disclosed location to work on AI instead. Plus the way they tried to convince him made we weary of thier agenda...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I know some people in aus did a computer simulation of the same thing a few years ago.
The virtual legs had to work out how to walk properly.
Ie they couldn't lean too far either side, steps had to be right size etc.
After 20 runs they had it moving pretty good

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think is a impressive robot, when you consider Asimo cost like a 100 million to develop you can only expect it to look cooler.

I doubt these Universities can come close to throwing that much money at their robot projects.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Yes that is true. The thing was when i watched this TV show about child prodogies (it wasn't about AI) it mentioned some young boy who wanted to use his wit as a TV personality but was unsuccessful. So the government sent representatives to convince this boy and his family to move to some disclosed location to work on AI instead. Plus the way they tried to convince him made we weary of thier agenda...

Yeah that makes me weary. The gov't has no business in messing with Children no matter what thier talents may be. They have a right to develop as they want. Did they use coersion?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Yeah that makes me weary. The gov't has no business in messing with Children no matter what thier talents may be. They have a right to develop as they want. Did they use coersion?

You bet they did. They didn't say why but the family imeadiatly took up the offer, or did they have a choice...

The TV show was so breif about it. All they said was, "and the family took up this amazing offer..." or something like that.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I believe that while we are on the subject of robots, the name Rodney A. Brooks should be mentioned.

FAST, CHEAP AND OUT OF CONTROL: A ROBOT INVASION OF THE
SOLAR SYSTEM

RODNEY A. BROOKS and ANITA M. FLYNN

MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab*, Cambridge, MA, USA.

Complex systems and complex missions take years of
planning and force launches to become incredibly
expensive. The longer the planning and the more
expensive the mission, the more catastrophic if it fails.
The solution has always been to plan better, add
redundancy, test thoroughly and use high quality
components. Based on our experience in building ground
based mobile robots (legged and wheeled) we argue here
for cheap, fast missions using large numbers of mass
produced simple autonomous robots that are small by
today's standards (1 to 2 Kg). We argue that the time
between mission conception and implementation can be
radically reduced, that launch mass can be slashed, that
totally autonomous robots can be more reliable than
ground controlled robots, and that large numbers of
robots can change the tradeoff between reliability of
individual components and overall mission success.
Lastly, we suggest that within a few years it will be
possible at modest cost to invade a planet with millions
of tiny robots.

people.csail.mit.edu...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
That idea has been brought up sooo many times, allthough the autonomous part is new, the faster cheaper plan of sending many many bots out is sound for certain purposes, but in some cases big expensive rovers are needed. WE could cover alot of ground and use that to locate areas of interest, and use that data to send bigger probes with maybe a fully equipped bi-pedal robot to record telepresense data to be sent back to nasa. Imagine the implications for exploration. Allthough the darker military side which flaunt the laws of robotics will probably show itself soon in live color on the internet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join