It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bikes, they are not cheep transport

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I think a really effective solution is to have an outlet where the only thing limiting speed is skill and conditions, I.e. a race track.

Dunno if its different over the pond, but here we have places that do open track days, amateur racing leagues, etc.

That's how I kept myself in check when I was healthy enough for it to be relevant. There are so many positives beyond just the lack of speeding tickets too.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

We call bike riders TA's, that stands for temporary Australians.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
I think a really effective solution is to have an outlet where the only thing limiting speed is skill and conditions, I.e. a race track.

Dunno if its different over the pond, but here we have places that do open track days, amateur racing leagues, etc.

That's how I kept myself in check when I was healthy enough for it to be relevant. There are so many positives beyond just the lack of speeding tickets too.

Too many motorcyclists are too cheap to pay the fees to go to a track day... most of the guys who ride crotch rockets don't have the disposable income. You'd need tires, full leather suit, etc to do a track day. As a result, they just speed on the highways. Youtube is full of videos of guys on liter bikes doing near 200 mph on public highways.

It is insane and dangerous not only for the riders, but for the public as well. I've seen a number of videos on liveleak where a speeding biker, not only kill himself but the occupants of a car when they collide when the bike is doing 150mph.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Maybe its changed over time, or per location, but the open track days I went to certainly didn't require full leathers or anything. I do believe the leagues did though. Its crazy, it seems like several lifetimes ago..

Tire wear would be more significant than responsible street riding, but I'd argue it would equal out for someone who rode aggressively on the street with zero track time who then "reformed" to aggressive track racing and responsible street riding.

Now that I think about it, it could be different on a drag strip though.. never had the slightest interest in it and have no experience there.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Lurker1

What attracts people are the prestige of the brand. Like why would you buy a corvette or a viper when you could buy a Lamborghini or a Ferrari. Even though the viper would run laps around a Lamborghini any day of the week on a track.

They’re pretty much glorified lightweight high reving Harley’s. V-twins just aren’t my thing. The v4 looks tempting but they already have a refined aprilia if you want that sort of thing.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I do most of my getting around town on an electric bicycle.
Tops out at 20 mph.
I dig it.
No gas or insurance expenses.
I only use the gas burner when I have to haul a load.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   
A mate of mine used to speed on his bike hit a tree at 80 mph. Obviously dead now Im thankful he only killed himself and not others.
But yeah keep speeding

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

What attracts people are the prestige of the brand. Like why would you buy a corvette or a viper when you could buy a Lamborghini or a Ferrari. Even though the viper would run laps around a Lamborghini any day of the week on a track.

They’re pretty much glorified lightweight high reving Harley’s. V-twins just aren’t my thing. The v4 looks tempting but they already have a refined aprilia if you want that sort of thing.

I bought a Honda. I don't need anything fancy.
edit on 4/14/2018 by Lurker1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

They look nice, Ducatis look nicer than most other bikes
Was never a Harley fan but some of the latter models have improved

Each to their own

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

It depends on where you look. I picked up an authentic red racing bike from 1982 for 100.00

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
A mate of mine used to speed on his bike hit a tree at 80 mph. Obviously dead now Im thankful he only killed himself and not others.
But yeah keep speeding

Speed didn’t kill him it was his own stupidity and ignorance of how to use the bike at that speed.

But yea spread hate.

I’m safer at 80 than most are at 25. Let that sink in
edit on 14-4-2018 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

If you go 80 or above the speed limit you are putting others in danger as well as yourself.
Safer at 80 my arse maybe on a track.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: TheLotLizard

If you go 80 or above the speed limit you are putting others in danger as well as yourself.
Safer at 80 my arse maybe on a track.

Go hide in your cage. My bikes see 190 very often. Crashed at 140 got right back on the horse.

No need to tell others how to live their life.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join