It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. County wants to help build guest houses in backyards — for homeless people

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

To distinguish between chronically homeless and transitory homeless means that you have to put at least some of the blame for a person's circumstances, maybe even *most* of the blame on the person and not on their circumstances.

Many on the left would like to feel like powerless victims of their circumstances. If they are poor, it is because poverty made it happen and not because of things they did themselves.

By acknowledging that people arrive at the state of homelessness in different ways and that the reason for that often also outlines their success at getting out of it, they would have to also admit that simply dropping people into a normal, middle class level of income and lifestyle would not alleviate the situation for many of them ... that many would quickly be right back where they started in no time at all because the condition of homelessness is a symptom of their problem, not the cause of it.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't think any of us are qualified to lay blame on any individual. Especially those in extreme circumstances.

One F bomb.

Most of us don't know what it's like for these individuals. 1000's of different stories. It's easier on us though to just categorize the lot and then dismiss them.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

a reply to: jellyrev

But many of the regressive policies weren't the fault of the working class.

You should blame the rise of neoliberalism, when many factories in LA where shipped overseas and laid off many working class workers.

There's a reason why many working class people in LA hate the Globalists today.
edit on 4/13/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: underpass61

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads.

Did this homeowner's neighbors "volunteer" to have their property values decimated? My home equity is a major chunk of my retirement. I should feel good my neighbor is being so altruistic as I watch a half a million $ drop off the value of my home? Hell, maybe I'll be the one living in his backyard eventually.

Seriously? Screw HOAs. That kind of thinking is what drives gentrification which is a major cause of homelessness in the first place.

Please explain how Homeowner's Associations are a 'major cause' of homelessness.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Um...whose backyard? I mean after the test phase is over?

Will this tiny house for the homeless go next to the tiny house for the undocumented immigrant? Like a mini subdivision in everyone's backyard. Like those old time, roadside hotel mini-cabins from back in the day.

Please don't get me wrong. I am for helping the homeless out but it is not a simple problem. The shelter portion is too easy. Probably 50 good workable ideas for that. Then what? Do they then get other assistance? What if they are chronically homeless? Unable to manage? Are they transitory? Do they have a social worker checking up on them?

...or if they are in my back yard is it all my responsibility? Like I have now adopted a wayward 20/30/40/50-ish child who is wondering when diner is? How many am I allowed to "assist"?

How do they plan for Jeffery Dalhmer types who always seem to be missing their homeless person?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

originally posted by: underpass61

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads.

Did this homeowner's neighbors "volunteer" to have their property values decimated? My home equity is a major chunk of my retirement. I should feel good my neighbor is being so altruistic as I watch a half a million $ drop off the value of my home? Hell, maybe I'll be the one living in his backyard eventually.

Seriously? Screw HOAs. That kind of thinking is what drives gentrification which is a major cause of homelessness in the first place.

Please explain how Homeowner's Associations are a 'major cause' of homelessness.

I didn't say HOAs were causing it, specifically. I said "that kind of thinking". The idea that you can raise property values by tearing down affordable housing to replace them with condos and upscale retail drives out people who used to live there. These people either become homeless or, if they are lucky enough to have a support network of family and friends, they get pushed further and further out until they just have to move to a different town.

It's why people here get angry at rich people moving in. It's turning our vibrant, diverse neighborhoods into cookie-cutter waspy blocks of unaffordability.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
It's easier on us though to just categorize the lot and then dismiss them.

Exactly right and its just plain ugly how many engage in the bigotry aimed at all homeless, no matter what drove them to homelessness.

We ignore that many are mentally ill, in need of societies help. They are always somebody elses problem and yet people make speeches about their compassion and "not in my neighborhood" is screamed from the rafters if anyone does try to help. Nobody want's shelters near them, nobody wants the homeless in view (guilt I think) and the same people pretend to be compassionate.

One of them becomes homeless they just move in with mom, dad or a relatives place with phones, internet and an address so they can get work. Even though they are the same as many homeless who don't have family to rely on, they view them as trash. Of course their family member is just going through hard times.

Truth is to most of society they are throw away people they shuffle around like a deck of cards. One city pushes them out and then the next and then the next, but never see that addressing the root of the problem is the right answer.

Here, we have quite a few freeze to death every winter, but if they try to survive by setting up a tent hidden in the tree's, call out the cops, burn their tents and drive them off to another location. Let them freeze, because we can't have them breaking a city ordinance.

We are a cruel species.
edit on 4/13/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Being mentally ill is not caused by having nothing. Being mentally ill is what causes you to have nothing. It's a problem intrinsic to the person. They are essentially victimized by themselves and not by society at large in the sense that modern liberalism wants to very much to believe.

People want to put the cart before the horse. Oh, they're mentally ill because they are on the streets instead of them being on the streets because they're mentally ill.

And until and unless you can fix those problems, they aren't going to be able to go anywhere no matter how much material wealth you try to give them to paper over their actual problems. It's like tossing money at a failing inner city school district.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Again, you are talking about the difference between transitory homeless and chronic homeless.

If a relative becomes homeless, would I move mountains to help? Sure I would, but if I discovered that person had an intractable problem like addiction or a mental illness they *had no interest* in working to address, then my patience does have its limits.

If I had a relative with a serious drug addiction, for example, one that involved shooting up and that relative wasn't at all interested in getting clean and/or trying to stay clean, how far is it incumbent upon me to go? I have a young kid. Do I need him to have that kind of example in his life?

I want to help, but at the end of the day, I want to see that I am helping someone who wants to help him or herself.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: intrepid
It's easier on us though to just categorize the lot and then dismiss them.

Exactly right and its just plain ugly how many engage in the bigotry aimed at all homeless, no matter what drove them to homelessness.

We ignore that many are mentally ill, in need of societies help. They are always somebody elses problem and yet people make speeches about their compassion and "not in my neighborhood" is screamed from the rafters if anyone does try to help. Nobody want's shelters near them, nobody wants the homeless in view (guilt I think) and the same people pretend to be compassionate.

One of them becomes homeless they just move in with mom, dad or a relatives place with phones, internet and an address so they can get work. Even though they are the same as many homeless who don't have family to rely on, they view them as trash. Of course their family member is just going through hard times.

Truth is to most of society they are throw away people they shuffle around like a deck of cards. One city pushes them out and then the next and then the next, but never see that addressing the root of the problem is the right answer.

Here, we have quite a few freeze to death every winter, but if they try to survive by setting up a tent hidden in the tree's, call out the cops, burn their tents and drive them off to another location. Let them freeze, because we can't have them breaking a city ordinance.

We are a cruel species.

Why would anyone want a homeless shelter in their neighborhood? I have lived in areas with homeless shelters, halfway houses, etc and they are not something you advertise as an amenity when you trying to sell your home. Constant fights, drunks, litter, loitering, theft, and all kinds of other sub culture dysfunction. It brings down the entire neighborhood.

You have some sort of warped view of the homeless being noble poor.

My town is uber liberal and has all kinds of services to assist the homeless. However, we still have quite a few who live on the streets BECAUSE THEY WANT TO. They are strung out and they don't want to live by the rules of the shelter and soup kitchens which are mainly run by church organizations.

To make matters worse, the clueless libs in this town encourage these bums and addicts by making life easy for them. It is almost like feeding pigeons in a park. They hop on the subway to come here and beg because the town is so lenient. They then go shoot up in our public library and piss all over the park.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Case by case. You do know you are only describing a small portion of the homeless right? Do you judge by appearance or do you judge after knowing them and real story?

Among the addicts you will find many from good homes and many young people with no place to go. I dealt with many of the throw away kids while counseling and supervising part of a treatment program back in the 1980's. I spent part of my time on the streets of a large city, trying to get the kids off the streets before they got in too deep. Many if not most were thrown out of their homes by their parents while still minors.

Many of the others were just people who got trapped after falling on hard times. People with no families to turn to for help. Most normally worked, but could not get a job while on the streets. No phone to use or address. No transportation or way to pay for a bus pass to find work. Back then you could not even get aid unless you had a physical address.

Most of what people think they know about homeless people is pure garbage. You only see the saddest cases on display in public and assume that they are the bulk of the homeless. They are not. Most are deserving of help they cannot provide for themselves.

I'd challenge anyone to go out in a strange city with only the dirty clothes on your back you have worn for days, now way to wash them, no ID, no car, no money, no phone, no Internet, no address, nobody to call for help and then tell me how lazy they are or how they are lowlifes.

I've been in that position once through no fault of my own, parents long dead while I was young and you know what? A good person helped me and asked for nothing in return. Shortly after I had my own business, after paying my dues by getting licensed and giving my time counseling and helping others in exchange for no pay other than a bed and food.

The treatment program fought a constant battle with local bigots, who thought like many ill informed people the worst cases they saw on the streets were representative and they were not.

Addicts don't become addicts for the reasons people think. It starts out by people self medicating because they are in emotional or physical pain in most cases.

It will never change. It is human nature to hate what we don't understand.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

nope no way. there is literally whole floors of highrise building sitting empty in most major cities that would be perfect for housing homeless. if you start dropping shacks in peoples backyards then their neighbors risk their property values drop ,their personal safety be threatened as unsavory characters move into neighborhood. i can speak from experience my landlord let somefriend of hers park a camper in the field behind my house on other side of hedge i had no idea they were there till my water bill came in . it went from 44 dollars a month to 1148.00 . i liked to crap ,so i went looking for a leak and found the water hose i used for my garden was turned on and running they were stealing my water and not cutting off tap . i asked them what they were doing back there they refured me to landlord . i informed him i was renting property and they needed to leave. they took 6 months to leave but i installed a cutoff on that tap with a locking cutoff and turned off their water.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Again, the problem is failure or refusal to see the difference between those who really will use those programs for their intended purpose - as a stepping stone for getting out of their present situation, and those who have no interest in changing anything and are only exploiting the program to get what they can from it before going back on the street.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm gonna squander all my money and become homeless so that somebody will give me a home. That would be nice.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm all for giving people second, third, even fourth chances in life.

Life is hard and often it sucks.

I still have an issue about the. . . "And then what?"

So we find homes for the homeless. . . and then what?

What is the next step? How do we (as a society) help these people get back into the workplace?

What jobs are going to magically appear in a state where companies are leaking worse than my prostate?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I'm gonna squander all my money and become homeless so that somebody will give me a home. That would be nice.

To quote Carlin, "unenlightened self interest doesn't impress me."

I go into Toronto about every week and every week drive by a guy living under an overpass. He has his sleeping bag, pillow and box. He even keeps warm. Plenty of car exhaust to keep him warm. It's a long overpass. It's really nice.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

What do you mean "And then what?"

They're living on the properties of responsible property owners. What more does anyone need? They're off the streets and some private citizen's problem. I'm sure the city will be happy to serve up a bevy or ordinance violations to said property owner if things don't work out well.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

HAHAHAHAHAHA

So the California government is basically saying, NIMBY.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

So then you would be perfectly OK with a shelter in your neighborhood for those who do want to play by the rules? Or do you put them all in the basket of people you hate or don't want around. You do know you never see most of the homeless on the side of the road, right?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Again, you are spot on. The homeless who truly want and need a hand up have plenty of avenues to take advantage of. Besides city services there are as you mention churches and other charities that do fantastic work. Only problem is that nobody wants the soup kitchens and overnight shelters that the chronically and willfully homeless rely on.

Here's how the altruistic liberals work:
My town is one of the last working-class areas on the L.A. coast, situated right on Los Angeles harbor. A couple of years ago the County earmarked 5 million dollars for homeless assistance programs, all any city had to do to get some was to apply. Well our shelter eagerly applied and guess what? They got ALL OF IT, Five million dollars. After the euphoria wore off some started to wonder why we were so lucky. Turns out it was the only application they got. When asked to step up, every other city in the county took a giant step backward. Ever since, the other cities refer all their homeless and their issues to us, because we "got all the money and have the resources" that they don't.
Now we've got county Sheriffs giving homeless free rides to our city limits - and they call it "helping". Gee, thanks Mayor Garcetti and the rest of you in Beverly Hills you're too kind.

new topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join