It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. County wants to help build guest houses in backyards — for homeless people

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

What a great way to destroy property values and turn the entire county into a slum. I'd like to propose that they should start with a pilot program.

It's optional. Does it burn you up so much to see people attempt to help others? Are you that self centered? Rhetorical question.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: SlapMonkey

But there are others though who do not want to leave. I believe some (they are minorities) are afraid of moving to the Mid West and the South because the see the place as full of racism and the KKK.

Then that's a product of being compartmentalized in an area that perpetuates such nonsense. That, in other words, is a community and personal issue that they could choose to overcome if living a better life was the priority.

In fact a professor told me as an Asian I should stay away from certain areas in the Mid West and the South because I might get jumped by KKK members and other white supremacists.

That can happen anywhere.

My manager is Asian--came to America to flee the violence happening in Vietnam. She has some of her family living in SoCal, and she said that she has never experienced such racism and bigotry against Asians as when she went to California.

Often times, people believe what they want to believe, with no supporting truth behind it.

The funny thing is, I, being an average white guy, was held at gun point by an Escalade full of Koreans when I was in high school. Does that mean that I should tell everyone that they shouldn't go to where I grew up if they're white because Asians might pull a shotgun on them?

Irrational fear exists everywhere, and it's very easy to get trapped in a comfort zone of where you live, fearing the unknown elsewhere. I would not put much stock in the claims of your professor, if you're using that as a reason not to move to the Midwest or the South.

People can be asshats everywhere, unfortunately. At least in most places outside of California, you have a decent chance of carrying a weapon on you if you're that concerned for your safety (or just because you can).

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Ignoring the fact that non-profit business models exist, you have missed the point of that comment entirely.

I missed nothing. The government does not exist for that purpose.

What are you talking about? Building permits, police departments, fire departments, public schooling, infrastructure, and myriad other things are products and services produced by the government.

Which they are required to provide and do not sell those services for the sake of conducting "business". They are provided for the betterment or operations of society. Which is the role of government, not business.

No, you silly goose, if you jettison all logical though in your responses, I will refuse to waste anymore time on you.

I'm not sure you are in any position to comment about logic, considering your posts so far.

Government run as a non-profit business?

Judging by your segmented responses to me, this will be my goodbye.

I figured as much. Most people cannot stand someone disagreeing with them.

Oh well.

Take a look at this Forbes piece if you wish to look at the matter in more depth. Your idea has been tossed around for some time and it doesn't make much sense.

www.forbes.com...://www.forbes.com/sites/johntharvey/2012/10/05/government-vs-business/&refURL=https://www.google.com /&referrer=https://www.google.com/
edit on 13-4-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
They do realize that there are "Homeless Persons" (person who recently endured string of bad luck and needs a few breaks), and then there are Bums (person who end up on streets for being deadbeats / lowlife POS).

And the Bums they arent going to change.
edit on 13-4-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

What a great way to destroy property values and turn the entire county into a slum. I'd like to propose that they should start with a pilot program.

It's optional. Does it burn you up so much to see people attempt to help others? Are you that self centered? Rhetorical question.

There are plenty of ways to help that don't negatively affect other people. I am centered around my family and what affects them. How many kids are you raising and putting through college? I've got three, it would be nice if I could give them a solid start without City Hall leaving me in a tiny house in someone's backyard. You think I'm being selfish? Tough sh*t

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Do you live in LA?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I believe there's nothing we can do. I know a lot of working class leftists tried to take a stand against the rising costs but I say that the local government don't really give a **** and will continue to enact policies that are detrimental to the working class.

So the type people who caused the problem are trying to fix it? lol. These are the same people that spit on tradesmen as well.

Eventually, we will all be forced to move to Nevada, Utah or other states in the interior.

No. Please tell us what we must do to stop this. Fleeing Cali's are too dumb to realize their voting habits destroyed their state and are destroying the states they fled to. A wall must be built around California to let these people wallow in the reality they created.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Do you live in LA?

Unfortunately, yes.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Do you live in LA?

Unfortunately, yes.

Cool. Just don't volunteer. Problem solved.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

But there are others though who do not want to leave. I believe some (they are minorities) are afraid of moving to the Mid West and the South because the see the place as full of racism and the KKK.

In fact a professor told me as an Asian I should stay away from certain areas in the Mid West and the South because I might get jumped by KKK members and other white supremacists.

It's true. We are full and full of hate. Do not move here. Had KKK parade in my town last week, was a fun time. Stay on the coast.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Do you live in LA?

Unfortunately, yes.

You're hilarious. Or clueless. Or both. I'm going with both.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: DBCowboy

a reply to: Abysha

You make sense but I don't see it solving the homeless problem.

It's only masking the symptoms.

It could solve it for a lot of people, though. I work with homelessness often where I live and I've seen every stereotype of homelessness there is. I can say with confidence that, no matter how they look by the time you see them, many of them were living in houses, driving cars, raising kids, and working jobs at some point in the recent past.

These kinds of programs are for those who are capable of sustaining themselves if they were simply plucked from the endless cycle of issues they are facing. For them, this is absolutely a solution.

If California government was so set and serious about actually FIXING the problem, then they'd offer incentives, tax breaks to business and industry to bring jobs back to California so that people could work and sustain themselves.

This is just hiding the problem.

Why can't you be supportive of both concepts? Even if they did exactly as you suggested, programs like this would be necessary to help people off the ground and put them into some interview clothes so they could actually get those new jobs.

It's like anything else people try to help with. We usually know what would permanently improve the situation but that solution is either far away or inaccessible. In the meant time, we do what we can, you know?

*shrugs*

I don't really care except for the fact that it's not a solution, but it will be lauded as one.

It's community organizing virtue signaling.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

There are plenty of ways to help that don't negatively affect other people. I am centered around my family and what affects them. How many kids are you raising and putting through college? I've got three, it would be nice if I could give them a solid start without City Hall leaving me in a tiny house in someone's backyard. You think I'm being selfish? Tough sh*t

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part that demanded underpass61 moved into a tiny house in someone's backyard. Can you share the source for that?

If I'm your neighbor and I want to house someone in my backyard, my goddamned business. You mad? Leave. Build a house not surrounded by neighbors.

Mad that your property's value will drop? Take it up with the other individuals that's like minded to you. They'll mostly be the reason for the drop.

Ironic.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Do you live in LA?

Unfortunately, yes.

You're hilarious. Or clueless. Or both. I'm going with both.

Coming clinical psychologist that hurts. Bwahahaha. So you don't want to listen to others. Just bluster. Got it.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads. As long as the tenants have access to toiletries and email, this could be a stepping stone permanent solutions for most of them.

"Now go outside and play, Johnny, but remember ... don't play with the used needles, and be careful where you step so you don't step in Mr. Jones's poop or on his needles. Also, if Mr. Jones tries to touch you, remember how we talked about 'good' and 'bad' touches ..."

You are so right! What an awesome plan ...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

You make sense but I don't see it solving the homeless problem.

It's only masking the symptoms.

It could solve it for a lot of people, though. I work with homelessness often where I live and I've seen every stereotype of homelessness there is. I can say with confidence that, no matter how they look by the time you see them, many of them were living in houses, driving cars, raising kids, and working jobs at some point in the recent past.

These kinds of programs are for those who are capable of sustaining themselves if they were simply plucked from the endless cycle of issues they are facing. For them, this is absolutely a solution.

If California government was so set and serious about actually FIXING the problem, then they'd offer incentives, tax breaks to business and industry to bring jobs back to California so that people could work and sustain themselves.

This is just hiding the problem.

Why can't you be supportive of both concepts? Even if they did exactly as you suggested, programs like this would be necessary to help people off the ground and put them into some interview clothes so they could actually get those new jobs.

It's like anything else people try to help with. We usually know what would permanently improve the situation but that solution is either far away or inaccessible. In the meant time, we do what we can, you know?

*shrugs*

I don't really care except for the fact that it's not a solution, but it will be lauded as one.

It's community organizing virtue signaling.

So what are we supposed to do at an individual level? Just hope the right politicians and legislation efforts are presented to us?

I don't know. I get where you are coming from but it just feels like giving up to me. I know my gardening hose isn't going to put out a house fire but I'm not going to use it to water my garden while I wait for the fire department.

What else can we do?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads. As long as the tenants have access to toiletries and email, this could be a stepping stone permanent solutions for most of them.

"Now go outside and play, Johnny, but remember ... don't play with the used needles, and be careful where you step so you don't step in Mr. Jones's poop or on his needles. Also, if Mr. Jones tries to touch you, remember how we talked about 'good' and 'bad' touches ..."

You're kidding right? All homeless are junkie pedophiles? Wow.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Jesus... you're talking about human beings who qualify for a program, not extras in some SVU episode. I live and work in one of the most affected areas when it comes to homeless people and none of those things are any more common than what I've seen when walking through a trailer park anywhere else.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Extreme black/white thinking.

People still get sick, so we should probably just stop making medicine until we can stop people from getting sick.

It's absurd.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

That's totally dependent on the various ordinances, HOA, zoning, etc that is agreed to when you buy that piece of property. There are already various ordinances against certain sized houses and types of construction. It's hard enough legally to build a Pole barn most places, another dwelling on a 1/4 acre seems unlikely to pass various zoning and ordinances.
If it did pass various zoning and ordinances I am sure town hall is going to be packed and new ordinances will be added to prevent this thing in most affluent areas.
Considering the mayor has had police seize the homeless tiny house village that volunteers built a few years back this whole thing may just be a PR stunt

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join