It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. County wants to help build guest houses in backyards — for homeless people

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Bullsh*t it's not a business--anything that government does needs to be run like a business, that's why they have credit ratings and must play by the same fiscal rules as most anything else. The only difference is that they can keep taking more and more money relatively at will, whereas business cannot do that.

The problem with most governments is that they forget that they are absolutely running a business, and they piss away tax dollars like it rains down from heaven and is never-ending torrent.

Yes, I know that's hyperbole, but it's accurate in how many, many government entities act. It's a cancer to the taxpayer.

You don't have to like my opinion or my proposed option that differs from this model, but if you're really going to start telling me or implying that government entities don't need to be run like a business and that programs having a foreseeable crappy ROI don't matter, then there's really no use in continuing dialogue with you on this topic, because you are part of the problem.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

I'm not hating this idea... or at least the spirit behind it. Homelessness has become a huge problem in many parts of Cali, including folks living in their vehicles and RVs. And many cities are cracking down on these folks. Even to the point of telling churches and other private establishments that they cannot let folks park overnight in their parking lots.

Housing is just too darn expensive for too many people. Even folks with jobs. And unnecessarily.

So this is just a temporary bandaid at best. There's much more to address in terms of how and why housing became so expensive -- from building codes and zoning regs to predatory lending and fraudclosure to flippers and foreign "investors." For example, I wonder how many homeowners would have voluntarily built such a structure with their own funds as an investment if not precluded by such zoning regs and building codes, which have artificially stunted housing growth, and thus contributed to the problem? Or how many others would if given some incentive, such as one-time or temporary tax incentive?

When we recognize and acknowledge the real issues, then we can find real solutions. But nothing will improve unless and until we get our priorities straight and then respond accordingly.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
10 years gone and his words still ring true...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

So if this initiative comes to your area, you will be signing up to have someone live in your backyard?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

At least you admit it! BTW, true Independent here who voted for Obama...Twice!

At least I learned my lesson after the first mistake I made in 2008 voting for him

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You make sense but I don't see it solving the homeless problem.

It's only masking the symptoms.

It could solve it for a lot of people, though. I work with homelessness often where I live and I've seen every stereotype of homelessness there is. I can say with confidence that, no matter how they look by the time you see them, many of them were living in houses, driving cars, raising kids, and working jobs at some point in the recent past.

These kinds of programs are for those who are capable of sustaining themselves if they were simply plucked from the endless cycle of issues they are facing. For them, this is absolutely a solution.

If California government was so set and serious about actually FIXING the problem, then they'd offer incentives, tax breaks to business and industry to bring jobs back to California so that people could work and sustain themselves.

This is just hiding the problem.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

As an LA resident, while I agree it is voluntary, I see this as a short term solution. Eventually the homeless problem will go the point that not even these people will save them.

There needs to be a long term solution or many people will either go homeless or leave the state.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: underpass61
When is liberal leadership going to stop pushing these insane ideas on us?

When are you going to realize this is voluntary? Who is pushing this on you?
else?

When someone else's actions affect me and mine, that's a problem I didn't "volunteer' for.

If somebody on their own time and property is inconveniencing themselves to do something incredible for others, the last thing I'm going to do is complain about how that might affect me.

The fact your home's value would go down because your neighbor is building a guest house for homeless people stems from Jim Crow era and "red lining" neighborhoods. That's a systemic flaw in the housing market, not your neighbor.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Are you assuming that I've never fallen on hard times? Or that anyone criticizing this plan hasn't fallen on hard times?

Give me a break.

And I'll tell you point blank, though--with a 14-year-old and a 4-year-old child living in my house, and a mother-in-law in her living space in the basement, you better believe that I'd be a NIMBY person at a personal level. But that doesn't mean that I would try to stop others from opting to do so.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Bullsh*t it's not a business--anything that government does needs to be run like a business, that's why they have credit ratings and must play by the same fiscal rules as most anything else.

The government should not be run like a business, for a variety of reasons. The government is not an entity created for the purpose of profit. A business is. Government should never profit.

The problem with most governments is that they forget that they are absolutely running a business, and they piss away tax dollars like it rains down from heaven and is never-ending torrent.

No, they are not running a business. How can they be ran like a business when they do not offer or sell a product or service?

You do know what a business is, correct?

You don't have to like my opinion or my proposed option that differs from this model, but if you're really going to start telling me or implying that government entities don't need to be run like a business and that programs having a foreseeable crappy ROI don't matter, then there's really no use in continuing dialogue with you on this topic, because you are part of the problem.

So if I do not agree with you, you will refuse to engage in the discussion?

Well, that's about as close-minded as one can get.
edit on 13-4-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You make sense but I don't see it solving the homeless problem.

It's only masking the symptoms.

It could solve it for a lot of people, though. I work with homelessness often where I live and I've seen every stereotype of homelessness there is. I can say with confidence that, no matter how they look by the time you see them, many of them were living in houses, driving cars, raising kids, and working jobs at some point in the recent past.

These kinds of programs are for those who are capable of sustaining themselves if they were simply plucked from the endless cycle of issues they are facing. For them, this is absolutely a solution.

If California government was so set and serious about actually FIXING the problem, then they'd offer incentives, tax breaks to business and industry to bring jobs back to California so that people could work and sustain themselves.

This is just hiding the problem.

Why can't you be supportive of both concepts? Even if they did exactly as you suggested, programs like this would be necessary to help people off the ground and put them into some interview clothes so they could actually get those new jobs.

It's like anything else people try to help with. We usually know what would permanently improve the situation but that solution is either far away or inaccessible. In the meant time, we do what we can, you know?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Uhhhh correction, here in LA its not Jim Crow but racial covenants. Basically before the civil rights racial covenants are designed so that certain people (minorities) cannot own a home in the white areas of LA. As result this led to the creation of the ghettoes, since minorities where forced to live in certain segregated overcrowded areas that were often in poor conditions.
edit on 4/13/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

How much equity do you have in your house?
edit on 4 13 2018 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Brother, I haven't lived in California in twenty years. I currently reside outside of Cincinnati, but when I joined the Army, I found myself in South Carolina, Kitzingen (Germany), Tennessee, and now here.

The reason that I'm where I am now is because I lost a job in Tennessee, and at the time (2011), the only and quickest job that I applied for happened to be where I live now.

It ended up being great, though, because my salary doubled and my cost of living decreased a bit.

Don't be afraid to ditch Cali and chase jobs...you never know where you'll end up or what you'll end up doing.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

So if this initiative comes to your area, you will be signing up to have someone live in your backyard?

Maybe he won't. That's the beauty of it being voluntary. Those that will can. Simple. Doesn't affect him or you.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

Absolutely. In fact, my boyfriend is writing a story on a local politician right now who is suggesting something similar. He's been meeting with him and his campaign manager to get all the details and we are very supportive of this idea.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

But there are others though who do not want to leave. I believe some (they are minorities) are afraid of moving to the Mid West and the South because the see the place as full of racism and the KKK.

In fact a professor told me as an Asian I should stay away from certain areas in the Mid West and the South because I might get jumped by KKK members and other white supremacists.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
There needs to be a long term solution or many people will either go homeless or leave the state.

IF they can...

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
In fact I'm already thinking of moving out. I just need to get whatever job is available and save some money, then move out.

That's not an option for many.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

The government should not be run like a business, for a variety of reasons. The government is not an entity created for the purpose of profit. A business is. Government should never profit.

Ignoring the fact that non-profit business models exist, you have missed the point of that comment entirely.

No, they are not running a business. How can they be ran like a business when they do not offer or sell a product or service?

You do know what a business is, correct?

What are you talking about? Building permits, police departments, fire departments, public schooling, infrastructure, and myriad other things are products and services produced by the government.

You do know what a product and/or a service is, correct?

So if I do not agree with you, you will refuse to engage in the discussion?

No, you silly goose, if you jettison all logical though in your responses, I will refuse to waste anymore time on you.

Judging by your segmented responses to me, this will be my goodbye.
edit on 13-4-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Start with Governor browns residence then.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join