It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. County wants to help build guest houses in backyards — for homeless people

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
I think it is a good thing but what about the homesteaders laws and squatting laws?

I mean i can see many court battles when people get an unruley person in their treehouse in the backyard and the law comes and says that not only can you not remove them but you have to feed and clothe them and provide the best basics for someone that is just there to jack with you.

Those good intentions always get hijacked.

So they need some clause like said resident has to have a job or some type of daily functionality in order to remain.

From my expierence if a person has a positive daily routine then it leaves not much time to jack with folks.

Except all night and on weekends...
edit on 13-4-2018 by Lab4Us because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: xuenchen
Must be an old dug-up Obama era FHA/HUD program
😀😁😀

Well, that didn't take long...lol!

Make fun all you want, this plan has “Community Organizer” written all over it. If you can’t see that, don’t know how to help you.

So? Just because you've been taught to fear the term "community organizer" through your brand of propaganda, does not mean the rest of us are compelled to live by the same fear.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: underpass61

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads.

Did this homeowner's neighbors "volunteer" to have their property values decimated? My home equity is a major chunk of my retirement. I should feel good my neighbor is being so altruistic as I watch a half a million $ drop off the value of my home? Hell, maybe I'll be the one living in his backyard eventually.

That's my main problem with this idea.

If I found out that "element" was coming in my neighborhood, I would be forced to move.

Jefferton, I know that you are a hardcore liberal and you know these policies are coming from the left. When is liberal leadership going to stop pushing these insane ideas on us?

link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

Yes, I know of most of these, but Elvis Summers is not the government--he is a guy trying to do his best to do what the government has refused to do. And now that the government is attempting to do something, it seems like an overly expensive, misguided plan of attack. Plus, Summers has been relying on donated land, something that, IMO, the county/city, and even the state, should step up and do.

Plus, I prefer the community-kitchen option, which could also have a dozen or so showers. I'm talking that these will be minimal shelters, not 600-sq.-ft. housing structures. They would cost much less than these loans that the county wants to give private residences, and they would be permanent solutions that wouldn't go away in 10 years when the homeowners of the backyard housing structures will be free to opt out of housing homeless people.

I signed up to help build tiny homes with Warrior Homesteads here in Cincinnati, but have yet to be told they need help. They're model relies on someone buying one for themselves at an inflated cost, and then that money is used to build a basic tiny home for a homeless veteran. I'm not sure that this model will work very well, either, but I'm more than happy to help if it does.

link   

originally posted by: introvert

😀😁😀

Make fun all you want, this plan has “Community Organizer” written all over it. If you can’t see that, don’t know how to help you.

So? Just because you've been taught to fear the term "community organizer" through your brand of propaganda, does not mean the rest of us are compelled to live by the same fear.

At least you admit it! BTW, true Independent here who voted for Obama...Twice!

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Voluntary today, eminent domain tomorrow! Anybody here who doesn’t think the politicians on California WON’T thin thats a great idea?

You are using a slippery slope logical fallacy.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Uhhh what state do you live in? Here in LA, many people go homeless because the cost of living is very high. In order to live in LA, you have to either live with your parents, roommates, or get a high paying corporate job. If you don't have those, then your s*** outta luck.

Trades will not save you. I know a plumber who has a second job (apartment management) because his plumbing job alone cannot support him. In addition, the upper middle to upper class **** on trades people because they associate them with poor people.

Also, may working class people are slowly being forced to move out because of rising prices. Eventually, the working class will be gutted to the point that there will be only a few of them left in certain places like San Benardino which is a place outside of LA.

In my college, there are a lot of students that are homeless and many of them aren't even mentally ill or drug addicts, just kids trying to survive.

I believe there's nothing we can do. I know a lot of working class leftists tried to take a stand against the rising costs but I say that the
local government don't really give a **** and will continue to enact policies that are detrimental to the working class. Eventually, we will all be forced to move to Nevada, Utah or other states in the interior.
edit on 4/13/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I full understand that it's a pilot program--that still doesn't mean that the program design is seemingly flawed from the start. It's a poor business model if the goal is to house as many homeless as cheaply as possible with as little impact on private property as possible.

But maybe that's not the goal--it would seem that it's not.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

😀😁😀

At least you admit it! BTW, true Independent here who voted for Obama...Twice!

You voted for Obama?

Ok. How does your poor choices in political leadership change the fact that you seem to fear something that does not need to be feared?

By the way, what exactly did I admit to? Not living in fear of words. You would be correct.
edit on 13-4-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads.

Did this homeowner's neighbors "volunteer" to have their property values decimated? My home equity is a major chunk of my retirement. I should feel good my neighbor is being so altruistic as I watch a half a million $ drop off the value of my home? Hell, maybe I'll be the one living in his backyard eventually.

Seriously? Screw HOAs. That kind of thinking is what drives gentrification which is a major cause of homelessness in the first place.

Who's talking about HOAs? I have busted my ass for 40+ years to own a single family dwelling in a good neighborhood. Maybe I was trying too hard and expecting too much? "Gentrification", my ass. I guess nobody should try to do better, screw the American Dream.

"I guess nobody should try to do better" says the guy complaining about people "trying to do better".

Newsflash, they're not. Not the ones in my area anyway. See that guy passed out on your sidewalk outside your apartment? He's "trying to do better". Go ahead and bring him in, he could use your help.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

When is liberal leadership going to stop pushing these insane ideas on us?

When are you going to realize this is voluntary? Who is pushing this on you?

Some of you in this thread remind me of the same arguments about marriage equality and how it was somehow something pushed on heterosexual people.

Why are you so upset that somebody who isn't you is using their backyard to help somebody else?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I full understand that it's a pilot program--that still doesn't mean that the program design is seemingly flawed from the start.

Nothing is absolutely perfect. That is why you have to work out the bugs through programs such as this.

It's a poor business model if the goal is to house as many homeless as cheaply as possible with as little impact on private property as possible. But maybe that's not the goal--it would seem that it's not.

It's not a business.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I recently did a cost comparison about living in Long Beach compared to Cincinnati (near where I live...comparable cost of living).

The cost of living in Long Beach is 86% higher (close enough to "twice as much" for my flavor) and housing costs 363% more, relatively speaking.

That's insane. I Grew up in Southern-ish California, so I get the appeal about the lifestyle and climate, but it's not worth that to me, that's for sure, and it keeps many residents barely treading water financially, where one bad financial issues (loss of job, unexpected bills, etc.) can make someone homeless in a heartbeat.

This is a reality for many Californians, not just in SoCal.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

But sometimes "voluntary" makes people feel guilty and do something they don't really want !!

Psychology // anti-Psychology vs "Cognitive Dissonance" !!

👋

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

You make sense but I don't see it solving the homeless problem.

It's only masking the symptoms.

link   

Seriously? Screw HOAs. That kind of thinking is what drives gentrification which is a major cause of homelessness in the first place.

Who's talking about HOAs? I have busted my ass for 40+ years to own a single family dwelling in a good neighborhood. Maybe I was trying too hard and expecting too much? "Gentrification", my ass. I guess nobody should try to do better, screw the American Dream.

"I guess nobody should try to do better" says the guy complaining about people "trying to do better".

Newsflash, they're not. Not the ones in my area anyway. See that guy passed out on your sidewalk outside your apartment? He's "trying to do better". Go ahead and bring him in, he could use your help.

This program is for people who qualify and are expected to become self-sufficient. It's not something that every random heroin addict just lines up at your door for.
edit on 13-4-2018 by Abysha because: Spellinization

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I wonder if the rent price is "no bid" ?

😁

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

When is liberal leadership going to stop pushing these insane ideas on us?

When are you going to realize this is voluntary? Who is pushing this on you?
else?

When someone else's actions affect me and mine, that's a problem I didn't "volunteer' for.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Then we might as well leave, there's no point of staying here. I get some people want to make a stand and stop the rising tide of gentrification but the local government don't care.

In fact I'm already thinking of moving out. I just need to get whatever job is available and save some money, then move out.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It could solve it for a lot of people, though. I work with homelessness often where I live and I've seen every stereotype of homelessness there is. I can say with confidence that, no matter how they look by the time you see them, many of them were living in houses, driving cars, raising kids, and working jobs at some point in the recent past.

These kinds of programs are for those who are capable of sustaining themselves if they were simply plucked from the endless cycle of issues they are facing. For them, this is absolutely a solution.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join