It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. County wants to help build guest houses in backyards — for homeless people

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Wow, local drug stores right in the back yard. I wonder how many homeless people will start pot growing in those places.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: underpass61
More insanity from the loony left coast!

L.A. TIMES

In August, the county Board of Supervisors approved a $550,000 pilot program to build a handful of small backyard houses, or upgrade illegally converted garages, for homeowners who agree to host a homeless person or family. Then in February, Bloomberg Philanthropies awarded L.A. a $100,000 Mayor's Challenge grant to study the feasibility of backyard homeless units within the city limits.

What a great way to destroy property values and turn the entire county into a slum. I'd like to propose that they should start with a pilot program. Every single City Councilman and legislator who supports this idea puts a tiny house in their backyard first and see how that works out. Oh, and we the public get to randomly select the tenant!

They never actually address the issue of why people are chronically homeless. The vast majority of homeless living on the streets are mentally unstable and/or severe drug addicts. They are on the streets because they are incapable of taking advantage of the already tons of services and homeless shelters available.

Every homeless person in my community is on the streets because they want to be there, not because there aren't services and shelters available.

Precisely. The vast majority of homeless in my area spend their days getting high and their nights looking for unlocked cars or open garage doors so they can steal to support their habit. Just last week we had a "bomb scare" downtown where someone reported a strong chemical odor. Turned out to be a homeless guy cooking meth in an old beat up RV. I guess now that guy will have a nice little home in someone's backyard where he can set up his lab.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: GuidedKill

a reply to: underpass61

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads. As long as the tenants have access to toiletries and email, this could be a stepping stone permanent solutions for most of them.

Wait What?? Access to email is a necessity???

LMFAO You can't be serious right? Wait you're left coast right.....Never mind you are serious.

Please continue.

Who's going to want to house people who are trying to get back on their feet if they don't have the basic means to communicate with potential employers?

Ever try to get on your feet in any urban area without internet lately?

We have these cool buildings call libraries in my town where you can access a computer terminal for free. Unfortunately, the bums here rather just go in the bathrooms and shoot heroin. We actually had one OD in our library last year. Great real world education for the kids using the library to study.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads. As long as the tenants have access to toiletries and email, this could be a stepping stone permanent solutions for most of them.

LMFAO You can't be serious right? Wait you're left coast right.....Never mind you are serious.

Please continue.

Who's going to want to house people who are trying to get back on their feet if they don't have the basic means to communicate with potential employers?

It's called two feet and a heart beat maam!! Otherwise known as pounding the pavement or hitting the streets. I assure you people have been landing jobs long before email just by walking into locations and asking about employment.

Instead of figuratively talking about people getting on their feet why don't they literally get on their feet and walk to find a job?? Is that too much to ask from someone really trying to get on their feet and out of the gutter? I think what most people don't realize is a lot of homeless people have mental issues and can't even function in society none the less in a job environment.

And that isn't even mentioning the ones who are homeless by choice. They don't want a job, they just want to beg for money and let others feed them. Do you want that homeless person in your back yard or only the Will Smith homeless guy Hollywood sells you?

edit on 13-4-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm sure there is already some free space available in the city county owned buildings.
Use that space first.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
This sounds like a good plan..... I will go ahead and start buying train tickets for all the freeloaders, I mean homeless people and send them out to Cali.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Must be an old dug-up Obama era FHA/HUD program
😀😁😀

Well, that didn't take long...lol!

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads.

Did this homeowner's neighbors "volunteer" to have their property values decimated? My home equity is a major chunk of my retirement. I should feel good my neighbor is being so altruistic as I watch a half a million $ drop off the value of my home? Hell, maybe I'll be the one living in his backyard eventually.
edit on 4 13 2018 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Los Angeles...Zone and ordinance the heck out of everything. Land/housing prices skyrocket. Regulate the heck out of construction. Be Sanctuary city/state. Labor market flooded in california due to open door borders.

Hmmm how should we fix this? I know let have homeowners volunteer to build tiny houses in their yard. Even though Los Angeles has Seized Tiny houses from Homeless in the past couple years because the Mayor didn't like the concept of a tiny house village.

Nothing from Cali surprises me. Be in multiyear drought. Tell the residents to not water lawn. Fine residents for dead grass. Keep letting water out of dams because of smelt.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Please continue.

It's called two feet and a heart beat maam!! Otherwise known as pounding the pavement or hitting the streets. I assure you people have been landing jobs long before email just by walking into locations and asking about employment.

Instead of figuratively talking about people getting on their feet why don't they literally get on their feet and walk to find a job?? Is that too much to ask from someone really trying to get on their feet and out of the gutter? I think what most people don't realize is a lot of homeless people have mental issues and can't even function in society none the less in a job environment.

And that isn't even mentioning the ones who are homeless by choice. They don't want a job, they just want to beg for money and let others feed them. Do you want that homeless person in your back yard or only the Will Smith homeless guy Hollywood sells you?

I think there is a significant disparity of forced perspectives here. If you live in a rural area, "pounding the pavement" makes sense. You'll cover half the town within a day, facing reasonable competition.

However, if you are living in a place like LA or even here, you will increase your odds 20-fold by using temp agencies (which are more effective if you receive notifications of job openings), Craigslist, and any number of job sites. You will be facing much more competition for even the most menial of jobs and just walking around your neck of the woods isn't going to cut it.

In any case, I mentioned that with access to hygiene and job-hunting tools, a person can really get back on their feet. Why is that such a controversial statement? Are we really this married to the iconic image if rugged individualists pulling themselves up with their bootstraps? Some people just need to get a job after running out of bootstraps and this is a program that provides more of them. Again, this shouldn't be controversial.
edit on 13-4-2018 by Abysha because: generalized a bit more

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So 'Sanctuary Backyards'?
Will MS-13 get their own mailbox too?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads.

Did this homeowner's neighbors "volunteer" to have their property values decimated? My home equity is a major chunk of my retirement. I should feel good my neighbor is being so altruistic as I watch a half a million $ drop off the value of my home? Hell, maybe I'll be the one living in his backyard eventually.

Seriously? Screw HOAs. That kind of thinking is what drives gentrification which is a major cause of homelessness in the first place.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Please continue.

I think there is a significant disparity of forced perspectives here. If you live in a rural area, "pounding the pavement" makes sense. You'll cover half the town within a day, facing reasonable competition.

However, if you are living in a place like LA or even here, you will increase your odds 20-fold by using temp agencies (which are more effective if you receive notifications of job openings), Craigslist, and any number of job sites. You will be facing much more competition for even the most menial of jobs and just walking around your neck of the woods isn't going to cut it.

In any case, I mentioned that with access to hygiene and job-hunting tools, a person can really get back on their feet. Why is that such a controversial statement? Are you all really this petty when it comes to iconic rugged individualists pulling themselves up with their bootstraps? Some people just need to get a job after running out of bootstraps and this is a program that provides more of them. Again, this shouldn't be controversial.

So a person with no job, money or even a home is going to have a lap top or a smart phone? Where did they get the money to buy that Mac Air? Where do they plug in that new Android or how do they pay for that $100 a month Verizon plan? Where do they mail the bill? Card board box #7 between Sunset and 7th st?

I think the problem is some people are soooo removed from reality that they think real life happens on them internets. I assure you lack of WIFI access is what some would call white privilege problems or first world problems. Besides what good does it do for a homeless person to seek a job outside of their walking range?? Are they going to drive there in their new Tesla too? I mean they do have that Mac Air and the new iPhone X, I'm sure they are rolling a new Tesla Roadster too right??

This is a bad idea period and it was proposed by brainless half wits who have no idea what struggle is or how to over come it. I assure you if any of my friends were homeless or couldn't provide for their families they would be everywhere looking for a job...And would most likely be canceling that WIFI and Verizon subscription....

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Please continue.

cant speak for everywhere obviously last few states I have lived in still have libraries with internet access in them, my tiny old hometown even has a place specifically to help people find work, and a couple places in OKC where the specialize in doing resumes and helping you find good clothes for interviews.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Here's a better idea--the county should set aside some portions of public land, build very small tiny homes, and actually house these homeless, reserving the right to refuse housing to anyone who shows a wanton disregard for the structure. They could then build a relatively small community kitchen/dining hall for them in the same area so that the homes did not require electricity (maybe do some solar, if fiscally feasible).

In doing this, they could do community drives to raise money for such a thing, offsetting the forced cost to the public with willing donations (always a much better way to get money, and also a good metric by which to gauge if the public even considers it a good plan).

My two cents on the matter, but a government relying on people to open up their private property to homeless strangers is a really, really bad way to go about it, and I see it being a failure of a plan or having quite a few incidents of problems, even violent ones.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

That's my main problem with this idea.

If I found out that "element" was coming in my neighborhood, I would be forced to move.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

You seem to be in the wrong thread Ahriman. This thread is for the people who want to express their vast knowledge about all the less fortunate than themselves and then deride them with all their intellectual creativity. Christian values have little play in places like this.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

They've already done that.

10 Tiny Home Villages Across The US

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

This is complete and utter BS. Who do you think you are placing in these jobs? These are not college grads with stacked resumes looking for a entry position with room for advancement. These people can walk in and apply at Mickey D's or as a cart shagger at the supermarket. Once they have some stability, they can educate themselves and get better jobs. This of course is allowing for the fantasy that they actually want to improve their lives.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Here's a better idea--the county should set aside some portions of public land, build very small tiny homes, and actually house these homeless, reserving the right to refuse housing to anyone who shows a wanton disregard for the structure. They could then build a relatively small community kitchen/dining hall for them in the same area so that the homes did not require electricity (maybe do some solar, if fiscally feasible).

Good idea but where? We see NIMBY alive and well in this thread.

Nice to see so much empathy from those that have never fallen on hard times. Pfft. I saw this a few months ago and it made me think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join